Do you like Marvel Open Edition Statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like open editions versus set editions?

• Total voters

fuzzylojiks

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here's a poll to see where the preferences lie.

An open edition piece does not have a set run at the start and they leave it open for a certain amount of time (which could be years). They also don't have numbers on the bases.

Maybe some collectors prefer these, so just to get preferences out in the open, I thought this would be an interesting poll.

This is only for open editions on statues and not figures.

You can also add in the reasons for loving or not liking them.

Cheers.

Unless there's something I don't know about, it's not happening on PFs and smaller scale statues so it doesn't bother me. 1/4 and smaller get ES. If it were to happen to PFs without a serious reduction in price then there'd be a big problem.

It's only been on LSFs. The prices on those are high enough that it limits ownership by that factor alone. Most of the people commenting on them or coming up with excuses on why they wouldn't buy one wouldn't get one anyway. Serious collectors might get one or two as time goes on, and a few collectors can afford more. But you just won't have 1500-1750 people signing up to drop 2k for a Wolverine with the increasing cost of life.

And I picked 1500-1750 as the traditional average total run of a PF, Reg and EX combined. Maybe over several years a LSF can hit those numbers.

No doubt an open edition may hit certain numbers after 2-20 years of being in stock, but we'll never know since they aren't even numbered. That also brings in the problem of recasting.

As for it only being for the LSFs, the recent Galactus maquette may still be open edition and Warmachine 1:1 bust, IM 1:1 BD bust were also open editions. I'm sure if enough people support this practice, and they do extremely well with open editions there will be no doubt it will creep into other lines like the PF line. Just like testing the waters with NRD and TBD edition sizes. They will push the envelope whenever possible.

Any person who doesn't care about edition sizes that come from Sideshow must not care about the longevity of the hobby, the value of the statues that go up in the aftermarket fuels it. Without edition sizes Sideshow wouldn't be in business, nobody wants to see buy a statue for $1,000 and have to sell it for $300.

Any person who doesn't care about edition sizes that come from Sideshow must not care about the longevity of the hobby, the value of the statues that go up in the aftermarket fuels it. Without edition sizes Sideshow wouldn't be in business, nobody wants to see buy a statue for $1,000 and have to sell it for $300.
Thats sound exactly like greatwall. The only statues i made money is the green and gray Hulk pf which i sold it for $2800 while the rest of them i loss money but i never get into this hobby to money anyway. I am all about the thrill of recieve them then get bore of them and sell it for a loss then waiting for the next piece. For this reason, i am alway broke.

I don't like any open edition statues. I'm a collector of "limited" edition statues. Also I don't care how big the edition sizes are either. I just want my collectibles "Numbered"

For these reasons I'm not too worried. People like to say SS doesn't care about aftermarket values, and to a degree I think has some truth to it, but not completely because they know they are a collectibles company. That's why I don't think they'd do open ES on lower costing items (as if PFs these days are low cost...but comparatively speaking). Even with the life size busts, you still dont have as many people getting those as PFs, Coms, dios, etc. I dont think we'd see open ES on the PFs, coms, etc, because SS knows it'd be hurting its own collectible nature at that point.

Look at something like Spider-Woman PF. Orders were obviously low, the ES was set to 325, and only then do you have a sell out, because people then wanted what was limited. Do we not think SS sees these things? They know the ES is important, but on the most expensive items it isn't necessary right away because the cost creates exclusion.

Look at something like Spider-Woman PF. Orders were obviously low, the ES was set to 325, and only then do you have a sell out, because people then wanted what was limited. Do we not think SS sees these things? They know the ES is important, but on the most expensive items it isn't necessary right away because the cost creates exclusion.

Agreed, lower edition sizes help the sales of lesser known or well liked characters. Which expands the range of possible characters made. If you like something obscure, want to complete a team, or just want to have your favorite characters in more than one sculpt, open editions make it hard with any line that employs open edition tactics to proliferate that far.

Yes, because I'm desperate for a Bucky Modern Cap America Ex PF. BTW what would you say if hot hot women where only limited 100 worldwide. "Though living in Australia we don't have that problem".

Last edited:
BTW what would you say if hot hot women where only limited 100 worldwide. "Though living in Australia we don't have that problem".

I would say that it would be a seller's market. The cost of prostitution just skyrocketed. ( probably 70 of those women would hook for 50k a night)

BTW what would you say if hot hot women where only limited 100 worldwide.

I would say that if there were unlimited hot women, then they would just be normal women. "Open" edition women would then be everywhere.

Which part of Oz u from?

Back