Do you display your 'alternate/switch out' parts..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halcyon

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Just curious.. bcs I don't have alot of alternate parts yet, but like it alot when statues have them..

How do you keep or display your 'alternate/switch out' parts?

Just keep them clean and protected? Or do you display them as well (loose). Or just switch them once in a while with the statue? (even if it is not your favored part) etc..

I was thinking (just some thoughts); maybe using a nice wooden box lined with soft material with a (plexi)glass lid/cover, so you can see them.
Most switch out parts have a 'peg' with magnet (hands and/or heads); Maybe it is possible to use a wooden beam, press the shape of the peg in a clay like cube, bake the cube afterwards and glue it on the beam. So you have a holder for them. This can be done with a beam with magnets glued on it also, bcs sideshow uses magnets in the pegs.
Do all of sideshow alternate parts have magnets?
Drawback when displaying them on a beam is they are not really protected against dust and damage, unless you put it behind glass also.

EDIT: REMARK; I am not talking about 1/6 figures. I know there are alot of collectors of posible figures which come with alot of alternate parts, but those parts are often to small and not really interesting to display as 'standalone' I guess.
I'm talking about alternate parts belonging to STATUES. Like hands, different head or weapons etc from PF/Dios/Comiquette.
Are they worth displaying and how do you prefer to do that? Thanks anyway..

Last edited:
Nope. I'm one of the few that don't really care about accessories. Once I get a figure. I take it out put it in a pose with whatever accessory I think looks best and the rest never comes out of the box and I don't touch that figure again until it goes back in the box.

Nope. I'm one of the few that don't really care about accessories. Once I get a figure. I take it out put it in a pose with whatever accessory I think looks best and the rest never comes out of the box and I don't touch that figure again until it goes back in the box.

Exact same with me. Hell I hardly even repose them after the first initial setup.

Too many figures, and not enough shelf space. My "unimportant" accessories don't see the day of light.

I am thinking after I get moved and settled I will create a drawer just for exclusive parts, then will rotate them with the regulars every once in a while just for variety.

same here.

no, it looks dumb. i keep mine together in bags in a drawer until i decide to re-pose a figure and i switch the parts out. that's one of many advantages of collecting figures instead of statues - when you get bored with it, just change the pose and accessories around and it's like a whole new statue. they have a purpose instead of collecting dust.

Last edited:

Exact same with me. Hell I hardly even repose them after the first initial setup.

I agree with V and Woff

Too many figures, and not enough shelf space. My "unimportant" accessories don't see the day of light.

same here.

I don't display them either... once I get the look I want that's typically how they will stay.

no, it looks dumb. i keep mine together in bags in a drawer until i decide to re-pose a figure and i switch the parts out. that's one of many advantages of collecting figures instead of statues - when you get bored with it, just change the pose and accessories around and it's like a whole new statue. they have a purpose instead of collecting dust.

Thanks for replies, but to be honest I am not talking about 1/6 figures. Those parts are often to small and not really interesting I guess.

I'm talking about alternate parts belonging to STATUES. Like hands, different head or weapons etc.
Are they worth displaying and how do you prefer to do that?

You want to put alternate hands on wooden rods??

LOL :peace No..

Especially people with a large collection of statues, how do you keep all your alternate parts? I guess not in the original box the statue came in?! But e.g. in a drawer, but than you dont see them. And to be honest I dont have a drawer..

I'll display a exclusive peice on the stand with the figure.

Yes, the standalone 'exclusive parts' are made for displaying and I would place them along the corresponding statue also.

I am thinking after I get moved and settled I will create a drawer just for exclusive parts, then will rotate them with the regulars every once in a while just for variety.

Good point.

I wasnt aware that staues came with "alternate parts". I thought what you see is what you get.

Learned something new!

As for as 1/6th goes, I keep all my alternate hands in a lil basket in my drawer. I just throw them all in together, so when I get ready for them I want have to lug the boxes back out. I usually store all my alternate heads in the box, dont really change heads on figures alot.

I wasnt aware that staues came with "alternate parts". I thought what you see is what you get.

Learned something new!

As for as 1/6th goes, I keep all my alternate hands in a lil basket in my drawer. I just throw them all in together, so when I get ready for them I want have to lug the boxes back out. I usually store all my alternate heads in the box, dont really change heads on figures alot.

Yes, statues come with switch-outs too. Especially PF's. On the ssc site "summary page" from the statue, they tell which parts come with it. And it doesn't have to be an exclusive statue eighter.

Oke, curious about all those 1/6 spare parts. When you put all the parts in 1 box/basket, doesn't the paint wear/rub off after a while?

that's one of many advantages of collecting figures instead of statues - when you get bored with it, just change the pose and accessories around and it's like a whole new statue. they have a purpose instead of collecting dust.

Some of us collect statues to have a wide range of different scales, they just don't make figures in 1/4 scale worth owning. Plus 1/4 scale as a full blown articulated figure wouldn't have the same effect as something HT's could do in 1/6 scale.

Back