Do You Chase A Piece for Sale if the Number is Low?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lcummins said:
It's just human nature. We like to be able to brag about our collection, and part of that is being able to say I have so and so number. Part of collecting to a lot of people is sharing what you have and showing it off; hence this board and the "Show Your Shelves" forum...
See, I don't understand it as a bragging point. Your #10 is no different than my #1000, it's the same piece. I guess it's just lost on me.

TheObsoleteMan said:
See, I don't understand it as a bragging point. Your #10 is no different than my #1000, it's the same piece. I guess it's just lost on me.
cartman-home.jpg

Ha HA ha ha I got #10 and you got stupid #1000. Mines better than yours!

I can't explain why I like low numbers any more than I can explain why I like chocolate. I just do.

My wife was so happy to show me my Frodo #0008 yesterday. She knew how excited I would be.

I don't even look at it as a bragging point. I mean my Pippin #7 is no cooler to me than my RWOS #4459. They both mean a lot to me and my collection. As I said certain numbers mean something to me be it my fave #, birthday, etc. It doesn't mean mine is any cooler than yours nor would I pay more for a certain number. So if I get one of those numbers great! If not I got the item thats all I REALLY CARE about.

I don't care about numbers either. I think the perception of a low number being worth more, in the mind or in dollars, is a carry over from the old days of collectibles, when they didn't exactly come off a production line, or were more hands on made, perhaps having a limited run, not likely to be in the thousands, as they are now.

As things changed over time, items are being made as collectibles rather than being a limited run item, that may be of interest to collectors. Possibly, in the old days, lower numbered items were better representations, as later in a run, defects from an overused mould may have become more apparent.

Nah I don't chase low numbers at all. I just see them as an extra surprise or bonus if you will... However, if there are two identical pieces on Ebay for the same BIN price with one numbered #4 and the other #4000, Im going to grab the #4 no doubt.

Im going to have to go against the grain and say I LOVE low ed. numbers.
I think its because it makes me FEEL like the edition itself has a low number (which I REALY love).

One of the reason's I collect it because I like the idea of having a rare piece. Its actually why I started collecting again - and specifically from SS. I love that their stuff is Limited Edition. I know 1500 isn't really small, but it sure beats the hell out of hasbro! :D

Numbers mean nothing to me as well.

As long as I got one of the edition that's all I care about.

I have #666 of the Grievous Ex. PF and think that's cool but that doesn't mean it's better than # (whatever). It does though make a great conversation piece. :lol

Wanting a piece where the number has some sort of significance to the subject matter I can kinda understand. Like a #9 Frodo statue or a #13 Jason Voorhees statue, there's a novelty factor involved. I wouldn't pay more because of it, but it does at least make more sense to me than low # vs. high #.

I get the item cuz i wanted the item. now if the comic store happened to have the same item but a lower number, sometimes they're cool with me just exchanging with them.

but otherwise, i'm happy to just have the product, who cares about the number...

except for Boba Fett #42. J/k, Tom! :)
a #8 Boba, Darth Maul, Elvis, or anything would be nice for once. :)

or a #22. or even a high number 1022 :)

I don't even bother...I think the lowest numbered item I own on any piece (from any company) is my Master Replica's Kermit #39. To me, numbers don't really matter, as long as the item is in immaculate condition...that's all that matters to me...

Don't give a crap! The only low numbered item I missed that I regret is "Classic" Spidey, I really prefer it, but won't pay like $700 or whatever the going is for it.

TheObsoleteMan said:

I never said or implied that having a low number meant a piece was better than someone else's; just that we like to show off our collection and being able to say "I have number #3" or something like that is nice and we do tend to "brag" about it. Look back over the forum threads about pieces shipping and you will see people are excited about getting a low number. They don't say "Hey, mine's better than yours because I got #3!", but they will say something like "Hey, I'm excited, I got #3!". Maybe "brag" isn't quite the right word, but I will stand by it, because whether most will admit it or not, that is really what we are doing. We may not chase a low number down, or be willing to pay more for it, but we certainly get excited when we get one, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Back