Do you buy multiples of the same Figures? Hot Toys, Iron Man, Cap, etc?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not generally no. The figures are expensive enough that one version of each is usually more than enough for my wallet!

My only exception to this rule has proven to be the Doctor Strange PO - and that's mostly because I want almost all of the Sorcerer Supreme looking gear for a Kitbash, and I suspect this way will work out as cheaper! The spare Doctor Strange parts would basically work out as only the headsculpt and hands, and well I suspect they'll end up being used for another of his looks in the film.

3 IM's & 1 stark, 4 caps & I Steve....I can't help it. I love getting each new look but cant let go of my older ones. I have an A1 display, and A2 display, + displays for TWS, IM3, ect...setting up the CW display now within the next few months as team members become available. wonder when I'll run out of room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space is a major issue for me i just get one figure of each character

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Yes, of "top favorites" for reasons posted - display of different key scenes, not enjoying some switch-outs re damage fear, love for character(s), like having duplicates of favorites, and finally have small displays in different rooms e.g. can enjoy figs in more places. Just to have them (like having duplicates of favorite disks). Also makes me feel better re a retired figure ever getting damaged e.g. that feeling of security. Some figs are harder and harder to source on secondary market.:horror

A "top favorite" like the WS or CA - I'd go as high as owning 3 or 4, actually on display:love - in different small set-ups w. a background. I don't store figs because no plans to re-sell - for me these are art figures and are more or less treated that way (except unlike most art you can change things up:cool:). And finally having duplicates+ allows for custom options but also having an original. Don't always do that w. favorites, but for me it was obvious, fast enough, w. Cap/WS more than one set is needed re display of film character arcs. Same for some SW like Rey/KR.

But I'm not a "complete-ist collector". Am happy enough to buy good used/open figs, depending. Cost IS a factor:horror and I think hard before any purchase:panic:. But, for me, if the choice is between a wanted duplicate of a favorite and another fig that "I kind of like", I'll probably go w. the duplicate. IMO collecting is a hobby that should make you HAPPY and folks should get what they like (and can afford) and for me, WANT to fuss over re display and take up shelf space and make special bases for etc.

E.g. for me top favorites *may* get the "duplicate/triplicate treatment luv:cool:". Others like DS - for me not a top favorite but up there - I'd love to get two because IMO awesome fig, but just can't afford it unless I give up something else:(. Others - for me - Thor, for instance - are picked up when I can get to it. Will say never regretted a duplicate yet - those are the (few) figs I want to put time/space into and it's just kind of a relief having more than one, for me.

I'm having trouble buying singles of things haha :(

:lol :exactly:

I buy multiples of the characters but not multiples of the same release. I buy so much, I don't have the extra cash for space for multiples.

Same here, also depends on how much I like the character. :) I usually end up getting most of the figures of my most favourite characters - if they differ enough from the previous release to warrant a purchase.

The only figure I have a double of is the IM Mark XLV.

But its hard to keep a 2nd version of the same figure. I just think, why do i have 2? It takes something special for me to want a 2nd figure of the same issue.

But if you like multiple poses, have the spare cash and space, I can see the intrigue.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

The only figure I have a double of is the IM Mark XLV.

But its hard to keep a 2nd version of the same figure. I just think, why do i have 2? It takes something special for me to want a 2nd figure of the same issue.

But if you like multiple poses, have the spare cash and space, I can see the intrigue.

what have u done with each one? that's a pricey one to have 2 of! :p

Nope I do not buy doubles. In fact except for Iron Man, I try to only have 1 figure represented of each character. ie I won't display different versions of Capt, just my favorite at the time.

Are you thinking of buying the second one as an investment? One word of caution, my buddy buys 2 of almost everything...one to open and one to sell. I don't know if he still does that. The last time we did a show together (I think in 2014) he was selling his extras for less that what he bought because at that point he just wanted to get rid of them. Gotta remember it's only going to be worth as much as someone is going to pay. And from my experience collectors want to pay as little as they can for something. Sure there is an occasional one that you might be able to make a profit on, but unless you do this for a living, I have usually found that not to be the case. Just my .2¢

what have u done with each one? that's a pricey one to have 2 of! [emoji14]

One is in a museum pose, just standing normally. The other is in a power pose acting like he's getting ready to fire a beam from his hand.

Is it necessary, no. I just found this armor to be exceptionally well made and am a sucker for red and gold.

Sorry for the triple reply. My response is showing up 3 times. Idk what happened.

Nope, but i just broke that rule, i just pre ordered joker imposter, i already got reg batman

One is in a museum pose, just standing normally. The other is in a power pose acting like he's getting ready to fire a beam from his hand.

Is it necessary, no. I just found this armor to be exceptionally well made and am a sucker for red and gold.

hey, if that's what u like, then do it!

Im debating having the power pose 46 when released & have hawkeye firing an ant-man arrow at him, & then have the regular MK 46 battling steve...DEBATING though...I might talk myself into only having one when they come out, so tough to have 2 of the same figure, especially when there's so much out there to get. I do try to get each version of my favorite characters though, just have to! :p

hey, if that's what u like, then do it!

Im debating having the power pose 46 when released & have hawkeye firing an ant-man arrow at him, & then have the regular MK 46 battling steve...DEBATING though...I might talk myself into only having one when they come out, so tough to have 2 of the same figure, especially when there's so much out there to get. I do try to get each version of my favorite characters though, just have to! :p
Sounds like a good idea. I have 2 46 IM figures on pre-order. The additional headsculpt offers a lot of posing options.

Also, I collect only IM red/gold figures and some Star Wars.

If I dabbled into DC or other Marvel figures (exception of Spiderman because he is a must have) then I would likely not double up on anything. Too mich to handle.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who who has these dilemmas. There is just something about having an extra figure of a particular favorite, if one breaks I have another. Especially with the Iron Man figures, posing them can cause damage. I've already glued the hip flaps back onto the little arms on my Mark 3 DC a couple of times trying to do the landing pose.

I have 2 of Reeve superman and the spiderman 3 ....errr....spiderman :) I have a whole room full of unboxed hot toys. I guess I'm waiting for a rainy day

I can hardly afford to collect singles of the characters I want, however I do have different releases of the same character as I tend to stick one a few memorable characters and collect their various looks. Thank God I haven't gotten sucked into the black hole that is hours toys iron man although i do have a couple of sites on my Grail list. To get to the point, no exact duplicate figures but I do own several variants of the same character (ex. SS proto Boba, HT ROTJ Boba in 1/6 & 1/4, etc.)

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

I have and do buy multiples if it's something I like. I own way too many Golgo 13 figures, but I've been a fan of the character since I was 11....I'm 46 years old now. I have 6 of the Hot Toys versions which 2 are still sealed, about 10 of the Skynet figures with all 3 of the different releases still sealed and the rare Japanese mail away outfits and 8 to 10 of the DID/3R Fewture releases and I still find myself picking some up if I come across a bargain.

Then came the Hot Toys Robocops! I actually ended up with 2 of the Mechanical Chair versions of course I got them for $229 each off of Evilbay and ended up selling one of the chairs back on eBay for $100 so it was like getting a Hot Toys Robo for $129 not bad. Anyway I also got the Battle Damage and Alex Murphy two pack....so now....I have a perfect day one Robocop, and Helmet wearing Battle Damaged Robo (which will pair nicely with my ED209) a Alex Murphy, and an non helmet Robo sitting in the Mechanical Chair...which looks amazing that way.....some random pics before going into the Deltolf.

Okay I might be a bit Robocop nuts but this movie came out when I was 17 and I thought I was amazing. I must have seen it like 6 times with my friends. So when Hot Toys released these guys I went a little nutty for them, but now I can completely understand why someone has multiple Iron Mans or Batmans or Wolverines in their collections.....get what makes you happy.

Take care - Jase

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

7ddc859657a3f7323dc1b775c727b6a0.jpg
22c54607412a1024f7b5595f23346adf.jpg
c449c5e882936d6f04e48c7d866f6f09.jpg
be47e3ddb4332a20353160cef8143a77.jpg
1ffff7cb8abcd78096c1669c2e11cfa3.jpg
ce83a9ff41eca70303d208b3540001fb.jpg
91d733eb51116b3abd72c89fcf2d2a88.jpg
52771efd848d5c0653b2f479b9142ae3.jpg
f207bc9bf03192d03d8e5d24ebb80608.jpg
f078cc32bcd2858687ee430e0c4353f7.jpg
60a91110f998932f0aa0d3a28d2bd531.jpg
a239863e677b0c346934bdc6a57948f6.jpg

72af7a5479c2becfa346764e3d15b5f6.jpg
38476dfc3fbe13118753571633daa183.jpg
26470fe1ff407d8ee1567bd7519f1a7e.jpg
00545a3c47c2291c7537b432de628289.jpg
d9a19d724f141af56c037a9ba5063d29.jpg
b3d6d8fd4696b9da93c925baeeeab1f6.jpg
968f06ed9d459e0ec4dbf16301b5d75e.jpg

No room for multiples; I won't even have multiples of the same character...MK 43 IS my IM...AOU Cap IS my Cap...etc. The HB doesn't count though cause he's so different. I also won't purchase a character out of uniform; I don't need a Steve Rogers or Bruce Banner...a little too much like collecting Barbie's, IMO.

Back