Do you acknowledge the Expanded Universe?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truth do you cling to?

• Film-only continuity

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Film + EU continuity

Votes: 54 50.9%

• Total voters
I think one of the reasons the PT EU tends to be better than the OT EU is that LucasFilm took a more active role in the EU at that point. Although for those who dislike the NJO and current Legacy novels that flies in the face of my theory so I could be totally off, but to me these have been better than some of the earlier EU novels. And really all of it begs the question How many times can the same three people save the bloody galaxy? :lol

EVILFACE said:
Films only.

Boba Fett is DEAD! Screamed like a little girl to his death.

Even from the movies it can't be concluded that he died, he just fell into the sarlaac.

Right now NJO is my favorite EU material. In fact, I'm planning on doing a movie trailer animation for my final senior project in 3D animation over it as if it were to be made into a series, there's lots of good imagery.

I definately aknowledge the clone wars cartoon. As for the rest of the EU.... if it is closely related to the films then I anknowledge it..... such as cloak of deception, dark lord and labyrinth of evil. All extremely well written and tied in very closely with the films. There is also a lot of rubbish out there.
So far I've only got into the PT EU stuff as I've heard bad reports about the OT EU stuff. NJO and KOTOR doesnt interest me as they have very little relation to the films. I've yet to read Shadows of the Empire but I'm sue I'll get round to it soon.
I tend to aknowledge things selectively.... if its good an ties in with the films I aknowledge it, if not, I dont. EU is all we have now so the more that comes out the more I get to read. Cant wait for the upcoming Death Star Book.

I haven't delved too deeply into the EU stuff, but the stuff I have read like Cloak Of Deception and Labrynth Of Evil, I've really enjoyed. There are some great EU characters out there as well, like Mara Jade, Thrawn and Xizor, so I like the EU.

However when it comes to collectibles I'm unlikely to buy as much EU stuff as I am stuff surrounding the movies.

I really like the Blackhole/Shadow Stormtrooper though, something about an all black Stormie that's really cool.

lcummins said:
The way I see it is, if it's on film, it canon! So the six movies and the Clone War toons, nothing else!
I should mention that "film-only continuity", by Lucasfilm's definition, means Episodes I to VI only. So if you count Clone Wars you have to vote EU.

snakebeater said:
I believe what I like... if I don't then It's non-canon
As it should be. There can be as many continuities as there are fans!

No, EU is fake. Movies are REAL. (?) It's glorified fan fiction. It wasn't written by Lucas, it does NOT count. It's like the Book of Mormon. That's the best way I can put it. It usually takes away for the heart of the films for me, and makes things even more ridiculous. I like some EU, I do, but I only count it as a "What If?" tale. I know most SW fans disagree, but I really don't need more than the OT, and I'll even take the PT. But I'm good. I'm not bored with it, and I don't need these other little things to entertain me or bring me closer to the movies.

In the end the point for me is still: It takes away from the myth and feeling of the original movies. The quest, the discovery, the conclusion. It's all I need. Classic storytelling at it's best.........in a galaxy far, far away.

BUT The EU's existence doesn't bug me. If you like it, I'm glad for you it exists. But all I need is what's on the screen.

Since I own a SW roleplaying board on the web, I have to acknowledge the EU in order for our writers to embrace the SW universe at its maximum without any limits. It makes for writing our characters much richer.

The biggest problem with the EU is that it is written by sci fi writers and SW isn't really sci fi.
The reason the PT EU is so much better is because the PT really fleshed out the universe so the writers could concentrate on story and characters instead of making some convoluted back ground. Most sci fi starts off restrained and alomst plausible but by the end the stories are so far out there it is no longer possible to suspend disbelief.
When its done correctly EU EXPANDS on existing ideas and when its done poorly it functions outside of exisitng ideas.

PosterBoyKelly said:
No, EU is fake. Movies are REAL. (?) It's glorified fan fiction. It wasn't written by Lucas, it does NOT count. It's like the Book of Mormon. That's the best way I can put it.

Can you get your point across without trampling on my religious beliefs (as well as a few others on this board)?

Thanks

:duff

PosterBoyKelly said:
No, EU is fake. Movies are REAL. (?) It's glorified fan fiction. It wasn't written by Lucas, it does NOT count. It's like the Book of Mormon. That's the best way I can put it. It usually takes away for the heart of the films for me, and makes things even more ridiculous. I like some EU, I do, but I only count it as a "What If?" tale. I know most SW fans disagree, but I really don't need more than the OT, and I'll even take the PT. But I'm good. I'm not bored with it, and I don't need these other little things to entertain me or bring me closer to the movies.

In the end the point for me is still: It takes away from the myth and feeling of the original movies. The quest, the discovery, the conclusion. It's all I need. Classic storytelling at it's best.........in a galaxy far, far away.

BUT The EU's existence doesn't bug me. If you like it, I'm glad for you it exists. But all I need is what's on the screen.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl The Book of Mormon part was great. Sorry to all Mormons, I think all religion is crap and laugh whenever someone mocks it.

Anyway....I think the EU is actually more in depth then the movies. The reason I feel that way is that George Lucas didn't write it. As much as I love him, he's not much of a writer. He's a great story teller, but his writting is something of a sore thumb for him. Take the RoTS book, it was phenomonal...and the movie was pretty good. The NJO, Thrawn Trilogy, and the ongonig Legacy of the Force books are great. If only Lucas let someone else write the prequel trilogy, but I digress...

Back