Do polystone statue pose any health risks?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A2G

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Yesterday I was destroying a damaged statue so I could send photos to Sideshow for replacement. I smelled a strong odor after breaking the base in half and it almost made me throw up.

My question is: Are the materials (including paint/chemicals) used on/in statues safe? If they give off some sort of odor, could long term exposure/breathing cause health problems?

Yesterday I was destroying a damaged statue so I could send photos to Sideshow for replacement.

wait..what?

anyway, the only health risk i heard of is that statues of any kind makes females allergic to you.

I think the polystone statues made in China cause less of a risk than the baby toys and petfood made in China. It all contains melamine, or melatonin, or whatever the hell it's called.

In all seriousness, most things out there in the world that are man made can probably be toxic to humans if ingested or inhaled. When you were smashing it up you may have inhaled enough paint or polystone dust to make you sick. You may be more sensitive to it than others but get to a well ventilated area gran a bottle of water and im sure youll be fine. Try to do this outside and if your sensitive to the fumes or dust get a cheap respirator mask before you embark on your next act of destruction.

All the best!

^^ :rotfl

Yesterday I was destroying a damaged statue so I could send photos to Sideshow for replacement. I smelled a strong odor after breaking the base in half and it almost made me throw up.

My question is: Are the materials (including paint/chemicals) used on/in statues safe? If they give off some sort of odor, could long term exposure/breathing cause health problems?

I don't really know what polystone is made from, but I assume it's a two part chemical set substance - like epoxy. Probably wasn't fully set in the centre of the base, so when you busted it open it started off-gassing & doing it's thing - hardening.

I wouldn't worry about a one time exposure - those dudes in China making the stuff every day are the guys that should worry.

When I was doing this I had a cheap dust mask and it still smelled so strong I had to trake frequent breaks. So yeah, it's not the healthiest material in the world, but a finished statue isn't going to leak too much fumes.

Alien_BeforeA.jpg

I smash and snort Polystone all the time and I'm fit as a fiddle. Just be careful of the threads from the costuming, they get stuck in your nose and tickle something fierce.

Back