DIY: PVC Deathstar wall backdrop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painted the three walls today. Attached some pegs at the back so they can be snapped/assembled together and disassembled for storage.

Attachments

• P1130772.jpg
    P1130772.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 84
  • P1130773.jpg
    P1130773.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 83
  • P1130774.jpg
    P1130774.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 87
  • P1130777.jpg
    P1130777.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 89
  • P1130775.jpg
    P1130775.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 82
  • P1130776.jpg
    P1130776.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 85
These look great. Did you decide to go with any feathering on the colours for the final panels? The first photo looks like you wants darker at the edges but the final images look pretty flat. Was that just part of the build up of layers?

Your use of materials have kept the depth of your panels small which will look more accurate than mine with them being 2mm deep.

These look great. Are you doing the floorspace at all?

Looking fantastic with some paint on them and man you did a really neat job cutting out the openings for the lights, they look crispy crisp.

Lots of love for the Death Star at the moment and you and Robianco are doing some great work

Pete

Just trying to view on my iPhone 7 Plus. No images come up. Just a paper clip that says “images attached” and noting actually attached. Strange...

Mine is the same on my iPhone. I had to view it on my computer to see them. I'm on a Mac so still using Safari so it must just be something on the mobile version.

These look great. Did you decide to go with any feathering on the colours for the final panels? The first photo looks like you wants darker at the edges but the final images look pretty flat. Was that just part of the build up of layers?

Your use of materials have kept the depth of your panels small which will look more accurate than mine with them being 2mm deep.

These look great. Are you doing the floorspace at all?

Thanks!

It looks darker on the final pics because of the lighting. Didn't do weathering to them anymore as the Death Star walls I've seen are clean.

Yup I'm doing the floor , side walls and ceiling in the next few days. Ceiling and holed wall will be illuminated with LED too.

Looking fantastic with some paint on them and man you did a really neat job cutting out the openings for the lights, they look crispy crisp.

Lots of love for the Death Star at the moment and you and Robianco are doing some great work

Pete

Thanks!

Just trying to view on my iPhone 7 Plus. No images come up. Just a paper clip that says “images attached” and noting actually attached. Strange...

Same thing happens on my Samsung with Chrome or Firefox browser. The attachments don't show up. That's why I use my laptop when browsing through forums like this.

Same thing happens on my Samsung with Chrome or Firefox browser. The attachments don't show up. That's why I use my laptop when browsing through forums like this.

What brand of paint gun do you have ? I was also looking at getting a larger gun like this for larger surfaces. Do you need a compressor ? Also what paint are you using ? Lots of questions :)

What brand of paint gun do you have ? I was also looking at getting a larger gun like this for larger surfaces. Do you need a compressor ? Also what paint are you using ? Lots of questions :)

For small projects, I'm using a Tamiya Spray Work (basic gun) airbrush. For big project I have the Navite Gravity type spray gun. My compressors are a Kawasaki 1/2hp (max 115psi) and a portable Kawasaki (max 50psi), set to 17psi. The paint I'm using are automotive acrylic and polyurethane. Most of the time I use the polyurethane because of better results. It's a bit trickier to mix for first timers but you'll get the right volume amount of mixing (paint, catalyst, thinner) when you get used to it. It's also what I use for my turntable refurbishing (check out Works1200) and model cars check out Nicadraus' model cars).

For small projects, I'm using a Tamiya Spray Work (basic gun) airbrush. For big project I have the Navite Gravity type spray gun. My compressors are a Kawasaki 1/2hp (max 115psi) and a portable Kawasaki (max 50psi), set to 17psi. The paint I'm using are automotive acrylic and polyurethane. Most of the time I use the polyurethane because of better results. It's a bit trickier to mix for first timers but you'll get the right volume amount of mixing (paint, catalyst, thinner) when you get used to it. It's also what I use for my turntable refurbishing (check out Works1200) and model cars check out Nicadraus' model cars).

Are you going to do a run?

Looks really nice [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to do a run?

Looks really nice [emoji1303]

Thanks!

That's what I'm planning as soon as I finish this prototype. But the produced ones will be made in acrylic sheets in different gauges (thickness). It will come in sections of 3 walls or complete with side walls, floor & ceiling. It will also be offered in painted or unpainted.

There are also a lot of things to consider before finalizing the production. Costing of materials & labor, packaging, shipping, etc. Will update this thread from time to time. When the prototype has been done, the prices should be ready by then.

Back