Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any clear glass door options for the Pax? I can't see em on Ikea's website but I may be blind.

Or will the old Morebo doors for the Billy's work ?

Thanks for posting this Sammy. It gave me the info I needed to purchase my own Pax a few weeks ago and set it up with full acrylic panels. I opted for the wider Pax frames, so my only option from Ikea were the aluminum sliders... which was fine, that was what I wanted anyway :)

All I'm missing now is to reinforce the shelving with steel L brackets on the back and aluminum U channel brackets to the front, and add lighting... I've held off on the lights simply because I am still debating on purchasing ready-to-go LEDS vs a custom Raspberry Pi controlled LED solution. I've already changed out the shelf brackets from the plastic ones to steel countersunk brackets so at least that's taken care of.

Thanks again.

IMG_20160406_142432.jpg
IMG_20160323_212706.jpg

I have to pack my collection and disassemble my Pax displays this week to move to my new house. Ugh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is everyone using to tighten and fasten the wire from the LED strips running to the back of the PAX units. I'd like to tighten them up so they look a bit cleaner.

What is everyone using to tighten and fasten the wire from the LED strips running to the back of the PAX units. I'd like to tighten them up so they look a bit cleaner.

I tried a variety of solutions, including black electrical tape (which looked really bad)... ultimately I settled on a set of wire channels from Amazon (here's a link to the ones I ordered: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JKXPGBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I picked up 2, and the set of 2 were all that were needed to cover the distance from the rear of the display to the switch for 4 lights. If you have more than 4 lights, you'd need a third.

It looks really clean in the display, and barely noticeable. If you do have black/brown shelves, and go this route, I would suggest taking a permanent black marker and colouring the exposed side of the adhesive. It's white, and sticks out. I figured this out after installing the first one.

A few shots (iPhone, and not great quality, nor composition) just to give an idea. I took the second one at about 1ft away from the front of the display to show you how well the wire channel is hidden.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 377

IKAE sell those white wire channels which got double-sided tapes on the back. it works fine for me.

Oh no. I hope you can find them.

I know IKEA has a self serve section at the exchange counter with various screws, bolts, plugs, tools, etc. I do not know if that covers PAX pieces, but if you are reasonably close to one, it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the offer man, much appreciated. IKEA was backed up but did finally get back with me and are sending the parts out. Hope to get them soon and get this badboy finished!

Thanks for posting this Sammy. It gave me the info I needed to purchase my own Pax a few weeks ago and set it up with full acrylic panels. I opted for the wider Pax frames, so my only option from Ikea were the aluminum sliders... which was fine, that was what I wanted anyway :)

All I'm missing now is to reinforce the shelving with steel L brackets on the back and aluminum U channel brackets to the front, and add lighting... I've held off on the lights simply because I am still debating on purchasing ready-to-go LEDS vs a custom Raspberry Pi controlled LED solution. I've already changed out the shelf brackets from the plastic ones to steel countersunk brackets so at least that's taken care of.

Thanks again

looks great! kinda regret not going with the wider PAX now... got some somewhat large statues on the way

I have to pack my collection and disassemble my Pax displays this week to move to my new house. Ugh!!!

dude, cant even imagine disassembling these :thud:

They got some good wire channels at home depot if u have one near u. they come in long thin strips and you can cut them to size. Need to be painted tho. Legrand Cordmate C1 5' strips:
image.jpg

looks great! kinda regret not going with the wider PAX now... got some somewhat large statues on the way

I've also gone with the slimmer PAX due to space considerations, and am going to be running into a similar challenge of displaying multiple statues in a single "cube" of the wardrobe. I have a few custom additions on the way to tier the display, which is all in preparation for this years' haul and to allow sight lines to all statues. In addition, these will add a minor storage compartment for switch-outs. Updates to follow within the next few days (I hope)...

I've also gone with the slimmer PAX due to space considerations, and am going to be running into a similar challenge of displaying multiple statues in a single "cube" of the wardrobe. I have a few custom additions on the way to tier the display, which is all in preparation for this years' haul and to allow sight lines to all statues. In addition, these will add a minor storage compartment for switch-outs. Updates to follow within the next few days (I hope)...

look forward to it :hi5:

yeah Im getting Battlecat and Death Dealer 1 -both are over 30" long, Im hoping they'll fit in there diagonally lol

Okay, here's a very quick update...

I got a 4 risers made to go inside my narrow PAX unit (58"x93"). These will sit in each "quadrant" to allow me the flexibility of tiering the display (to accommodate more statues of course), but also create a small storage system to keep switch outs so I don't have to do the get-the-ladder-goto-the-garage-get-out-the-box routine that we have all done, just to switch out a head, hand, arm, etc. These were created from existing IKEA shelves so they would match exactly. The outer dimensions are 28" W x 12" D x 5" H.

The beauty of this design is that the riser slides down onto 5mm pins that insert into the existing PAX shelf holes (as evidenced by the slots cut into the sides in photo 1, and pins inserted in photo 2). This way, the weight from the riser, and statues on top, is carried by the side walls and not the shelf. This should limit any bending of the full shelf that would occur with time.

The drawer is constructed from finished birch plywood, and offers about 3.25" of vertical space, with the riser being 5" total. 5" was the highest I could go to accommodate my taller PF's (Comic Supes, in particular).

A couple of quick shots. Hope to get some 1/4" open cell foam to line the bottoms to protect my extras. I'll get some more statues unboxed and out shortly.

_DSC1811.jpg_DSC1813.jpg_DSC1814.jpg_DSC1815.jpgIMG_1591.jpgIMG_1592.jpg

Great Idea. If I was using Pax I would definitely copy that. Love the built in storage function, perfect of accessories and stuff.

For anybody interested, I put together a little video of the risers, and my developing display unit.

If anybody wants any further information on the risers, I'm happy to provide it. I did ask my builder for some plans, but I'm still awaiting those. If I get some plans done up, I'll edit this post to include them.

I did something similar but without the drawer, just a half shelf. I would rather not have to remove statues off the shelf to get to my extra parts. Still, great video and display! :clap

very cool :clap

I gotta do some major display work once I get my doors on. Got another bookshelf on the way to move a lot of smaller statues to. Right now everything large and small is just squeezed into the PAX for lack of a better place to put em.

Excellent video and display, SammyG! Thanks for sharing.

I did something similar but without the drawer, just a half shelf. I would rather not have to remove statues off the shelf to get to my extra parts. Still, great video and display! :clap

very cool :clap

Thanks for the kind notes. Really appreciate it.

I think this display is now exactly where I want it. Time to get some foam cut, and wait in high anticipation for new pieces to fill up the remaining space!

Moving. Ugh.
69a7efb2f678dac72aa86c5278f61865.jpg

That is one thing I am not looking forward to. I am an expat living abroad so when I move back home its going to be a nightmare. Good luck with the move and fingers crossed everything comes out the same way it went in.

These custom PAX cabinets look amazing. I've been trying to find the same parts here in Australia at IKEA but i can't seem to find them on the website. Do you have the part number by any chance? I'd rather do it right and buy a good cabinet first than **** around.

Thanks!

Back