Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks man u think i should take everything of the shelves till i get the pieces for it and do u screw it to the cabinet or just over it is enough do you have any closer pics on how u put it on there

I didn't screw mine on. They stay on just fine. I'll see if I can get more pics for you soon.

Also I doubt the shelf will actually break, they all bow a little without the bracing. Mine did anyways.

hey also i just saw your display and it looks bad ass with the lights exactly what all i need to light up 12 of them

What is a proper thickness for acrylic sheet doors in a PAX?

For my set up, I didn't have any custom thickness cast, as it's quite a bit more expensive. So I just ordered 1/8" cut to the width/height that I wanted. Fit great, with no movement or rattling when tapped or through opening/closing of the sliding doors. However, I might add that this may also be dependent on the door you are choosing. So to be sure, I would advise that you double check using the thickness of the panels that IKEA sells... in my case they were a hair > 1/8".

I saw pic of the PAX sliding door that covers the lower 1/3 portion and reveals the top 2/3. I can't seem to find that sliding door combo on IKEA's website. Is that model of sliding door still available?

I saw pic of the PAX sliding door that covers the lower 1/3 portion and reveals the top 2/3. I can't seem to find that sliding door combo on IKEA's website. Is that model of sliding door still available?

I posted a shot of mine, which is setup as you described, a few pages back.

There's no special door for this set up. All I did was buy the PAX ILSENG door frame (this would work with any other frame), and the accompanying ILSENG panels (which come in a pack of 4, and varying colours). I then installed one panel in the bottom 1/4 of each door, followed by the cross-bar to hold it securely. I then completed the construction of the door omitting the remaining cross-bars, leaving the top 3/4 open. The open measurement was used for 1/8" acrylic.

PM me if you want a bit more information. Happy to help out if needed.

I'm also going Pax way at my new place (for the first time ever I have a chance to display my whole collection!)
So, I have a question - any tips on assembling sliding doors?
Any known difficulties? What is the hardest\trickiest stage? What to look out for?

After looking through Ikea instructions I think I'll definitely need another pair of hands at least...

I'm also going Pax way at my new place (for the first time ever I have a chance to display my whole collection!)
So, I have a question - any tips on assembling sliding doors?
Any known difficulties? What is the hardest\trickiest stage? What to look out for?

After looking through Ikea instructions I think I'll definitely need another pair of hands at least...

Laying down a painters tarp helps keep dust/hair/carpet fuzz from sticking to the acrylic. The doors are easy to assemble. Getting the acrylic in is a little tough and you will definitely need two people, and a rubber mallet to (gently) tap the frame onto the acrylic. I assembled one side at a time because it was near impossible to slide the acrylic in to two attached sides of the frame in an L shape...if that makes any sense.

Laying down a painters tarp helps keep dust/hair/carpet fuzz from sticking to the acrylic. The doors are easy to assemble. Getting the acrylic in is a little tough and you will definitely need two people, and a rubber mallet to (gently) tap the frame onto the acrylic. I assembled one side at a time because it was near impossible to slide the acrylic in to two attached sides of the frame in an L shape...if that makes any sense.

So you recommend removing protective film from acrylic panes prior to assembling?
I hoped it can be removed afterwards..

Concerning L-shape - I know what you mean, thanks!

So you recommend removing protective film from acrylic panes prior to assembling?
I hoped it can be removed afterwards..

Concerning L-shape - I know what you mean, thanks!

You will have to pull back the edges of the film as they will go tightly in the frame, which is tough without removing the entire sheet. Oh and the most important part...buy a cheap heat gun. Apply heat as you remove the film. It'll come off cleanly and easily in one piece.

Finally getting around to assembling the doors after a hectic 5 months... got the acrylic cut, and all ready to assemble and wouldnt you know I missplaced all the screws :gah:

wrote to ikea to see if i can get them replaced.

Finally getting around to assembling the doors after a hectic 5 months... got the acrylic cut, and all ready to assemble and wouldnt you know I missplaced all the screws :gah:

wrote to ikea to see if i can get them replaced.

Oh no. I hope you can find them.

I know IKEA has a self serve section at the exchange counter with various screws, bolts, plugs, tools, etc. I do not know if that covers PAX pieces, but if you are reasonably close to one, it might be worth a try.

yeah closest store is 500 miles so Im outa luck there. Turned my garage inside out, should have been with the rest of it and I know I had them. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon, I was stoked to finally get these finished this week.

yeah closest store is 500 miles so Im outa luck there. Turned my garage inside out, should have been with the rest of it and I know I had them. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon, I was stoked to finally get these finished this week.

Keep us all posted.

I know it's a total roundabout (being in different places and likely different countries), but if you have no luck with IKEA and these items can be picked up at self-serve, I'm happy to grab some on my next trip by and send them off... PM me. Happy to help out if I can.

Looking at all these display cases makes me want to make my own. But then I wouldn't know where to begin.

Back