Disney premium format !!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an un unusual road to take. The market is already flooded with POTC merchandise. And if this line has any legs at all where would someone display it all? I'm a huge fan of Disney stuff so I'm curious to see whats going to come out. I don't think I would care for the animated characters done in PF style. I much prefer the sculpts that are coming out from the WDCC. I have resisted buying even one of these as it would be a slippery slope to wanting all of them. This one in particular is all kinds of awesome:
https://cgi.ebay.com/WDCC-GENIE-IM-...015565QQihZ001QQcategoryZ156297QQcmdZViewItem

I've been tempted to buy the Tonner Davy Crockett because I figure maybe no one else will ever do one. SS could diffently win me over to this with a Dr. Syn, the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. I would also hope that SS hires some of the WDCC sculptors to do these pieces. If memory serves me correctly I believe that Tony Cipriano, Rueben Porcopio, and Kent Melton to name a few have all worked for Disney animation.

The big figs are also more like maquettes than PF's because they are all sculpted. That works just fine for the non human characters (for some reason picturing a poly Donald with fabric clothing seems weird to me), but I think some of the more elaborate costumes like the Princesses with their ball gowns will be really awesome with cloth dresses. And yeah, those are going to cost a pretty penny if the dress is done right.

The big figs are also more like maquettes than PF's because they are all sculpted. That works just fine for the non human characters (for some reason picturing a poly Donald with fabric clothing seems weird to me), but I think some of the more elaborate costumes like the Princesses with their ball gowns will be really awesome with cloth dresses. And yeah, those are going to cost a pretty penny if the dress is done right.

Even though Donald Duck is my favorite character, I wouldn't want a PF of him. Now Darkwing Duck? Hell yeah!

vincent.jpg

:rock :rock :rock

If they made a lighted PF of him (or Old B.O.B.) I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I don't see there being enough demand/Sideshow being cool enough.

The Weta Narnia statues are selling for pennies on the dollar (and they already have an Aslan) so I'm going to say that Narnia being the property seems unlikely.

Not to mention (as I said in another thread) Disney dumped the Narnia franchise yesterday. It's being shopped to other studios.

Animated as in all animated, or animated as in non-human?

I think the classic non-humans, like Mickey and Donald Duck are better left all sculpted. But I guess it should be approached on a case by case basis. A felt texture on Mickey Mouse might work, but realistic feathers on Donald might not. The princesses can all use mixed media, if you can imagine the target audience buying those.

But either way this announcement is a big deal. Whether or not you care, Disney > everything else. A lot of non-freaks out there willing to shell out hundreds of dollars on this stuff. There were not enough high end Disney collectibles as far as I am aware (with most being more expensive than high-end).

They decided not to move forward with the 3rd film - but they still own the distribution rights to the first 2. However that was a co-production with Walden, so it's possible Narnia isn't under the umbrella.

Agreed- plus, with that choice yesterday as a "vote of no confidence" from Disney, I can't see them wanting SS to divert their attention to Narnia, espescially since the franchise may go on under another studio's banner.

I also bet Muppet related properties will be much later on (if ever) because the last few attempts at high-end Muppets merchandise fizzled out unceremoniously.

They will want their core properties and ongoing properties represented. My bet is the first year at least, Disney will want SS selling things that help promote current or upcoming entertainment releases. I'd look to see what's on "The Disney Vault's" upcoming DVD and BluRay release/rerelease schedules.
My guess is Disney wants "Classic Disney" to be the thrust of this line.
This seems like an attempt by SS to attract a new customer base to their business. We may still see some "geekworthy" releases, but I bet it's not the main thrust of the line. I'd put down money that you will see a "Sorcerer's Apprentice", Tinkerbell, or "Steamboat Willie" PF early on.

I think the classic non-humans, like Mickey and Donald Duck are better left all sculpted. But I guess it should be approached on a case by case basis. A felt texture on Mickey Mouse might work, but realistic feathers on Donald might not. The princesses can all use mixed media, if you can imagine the target audience buying those.

I'll almost bet you the characters themselves will be sculpted, but their clothes will be cloth. For instance, Donald will be sculpted, but his classic (and kinky) blue hat and sailor shirt will be cloth. Mickey will be sculpted, and his "Sorcerer's Apprentice" outfit will be cloth. You guys are thinking too complicated. Sideshow doesn't- they don't spend money where they don't have to.

Could you just imagine a full 1/4 scale Beast, with full real fur, sculpted under body and face and then complete costume over the top.
Unfortunately I can also picture how complex and expensive it would be, but still.

Which is why Sideshow won't do it. This is the company that keeps re-releasing the same old 1:6 Star Wars armor/parts molds because it's cost effective, rarely stepping up and making the risky figures that require new molds to be made. The upcoming Darth Vader is the 1st thing I would consider Sideshow taking a real risk at all. No Yoda, Bossk, Greedo, Chewbacca, droids, etc. It's all jedis, rebel soldiers, and troopers.

This is part of why I'm not surprised at this boring Disney announcement- it really wasn't for us, (though it will interest some of us) it is to attract a totally new customer base, so they have a larger base of people to sell to, and a better chance to weather the storm.

Oh, thank God. :eek: I've been worried all week that this was going to be something I couldn't live without.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Sideshow does with these, however. Who knows? Maybe they'll come up with something that even I would like to display. (Jack Sparrow, anyone?)

Anyone sayin ''yawn'' at this obviously hasnt checked all the possibility of this annoucement.POTC obviously but theres so much more...I think its one of Sideshow's biggest announcement in years,bigger than anything SW or Marvel related...As a collectibles compagny this is something that gives them great exposure to be associated with a giant like Disney.Great announcement.

Don't get me wrong- if I was running Sideshow, I would pursue this license as well, it makes perfect business sense. But as a toy geek, I could really care less- I don't see SS doing a lot of stuff aimed at us- it's going to be stuff for the classic Disney Collector crowd, to pull in that new business.
For me, though, it is a yawn.

Back