Dilemma: Should my kids play outside in a thunderstorm?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Cruel

Super Freak
Reaction score
I realize that the chance of them getting struck by lightning is one in forever. And I remember that I used to love playing in the rain. I do not like to think of myself as being overprotective. But what are some of your thoughts on this matter, fellow freaks?

I am actually having a hard time finding any information on the internet about the issue.

I can't or won't tell someone what they should or shouldn't do with there kids but I won't let mine play in thunderstorms outside.

I say let them too. As long as the thunder and lightning aren't too bad. They have a greater chance getting hit by a car in the street than they do getting struck by lighting in your front yard.

As long as they arent playing with metal baseball bats, they should be ok

I remember when I was a kid I went outside during a thunderstorm with a golf club that was missing the club part on the tip. I would hold it up and say "By the power of Grayskull!". I remember doing it on my front porch just as a HUGE crash of thunder and lighting happened. I bolted in through the front door like a little girl.

Yes, you should, and make sure there is a conductive wire running to your brain, when the bolt hits them..:) No seriously after they do that.. put them in the car go to the local zoo, wrap them in raw steak and bacon and throw them in the tiger's cage...:) Just having a bit of fun at your expense.. wishing no harm to you or your kids!

Does a "thunderstorm" imply that its directly over their heads? I would think its okay to play in the rain, if the lightning is several miles away, but if its crackling right over head seems like common sense to call them in. Then when it passes, but its still raining, send them out again.

I remember years ago as a kid I was out in a thunder storm , it wasn't lightning but after a few minutes massive hail stones started falling down and they hurt !. :lol
You saw everyone scatter for cover.

I'll trade you.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAzLlSZFcc"]66 times in the head[/ame]

I remember when I was a kid I went outside during a thunderstorm with a golf club that was missing the club part on the tip. I would hold it up and say "By the power of Grayskull!". I remember doing it on my front porch just as a HUGE crash of thunder and lighting happened. I bolted in through the front door like a little girl.

:lol :lol Too funny.

If your kids are happy to play outside while there's a freakin' lighting and thunderstorm happening in the same part of town (ie not a few miles away) then either you have wussy thunderstorms where you come from, or your kids have bigger balls than I do.

I just know someone will do it but please!... no big balls pictures.

My mom had a rule. No matter how much rain was coming down or how much thunder there was I could play out side (in my swim trunks of course)

However once the first bolt of lighting hit i had to come in.

Back