Did you know eBay was charging an additional fee for shipping?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VS1976

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just until today, I did not know eBay was charging an additional fee when I am to ship the items to the buyers. They charge a 9% fee based on the cost to ship to the buyer. This does not include the fact they are charging the selling fee & paypal fee that goes with this.

WTF is wrong with this picture?

I had a 40 minute conversation with an ebay rep and they told me this new "Final Value Fee on Shipping" was implemented on September 2011. The 9% fee was based on how much you charge to ship to the buyers. He said a notice was posted somewhere on eBay site and that it was sent out to all the sellers. I said really? "Where is the email of this notice"? 5 minutes later, hsaid it was never sent out,so my question to him was how on earth would the seller even know?

He said the Final Value Fee on Shipping would be waived if the seller offered free shipping to the buyer? That is complete B.S.! I understand eBay is trying to get more people to buy stuff but why should the seller be stuck to pay the fee to ship or even offer free shipping?

I do not understand eBay's business model? It makes no bloody sense. In the long run, they are going to lose a lot of money!

I am thinking about filing a complaint to the BBB tomorrow. They can not get away with this!

The reason they did that was the usual: people abusing the system. There used to be lots of 99¢ auction + $20 shipping nonsense, which was just a way to circumvent fees.

It's because of idiots who were posting $0.99 auctions with $500 shipping to get around ebay fees.

It's because of idiots who were posting $0.99 auctions with $500 shipping to get around ebay fees.

Excessive shipping was against ebay policy, though. listings could be reported that had excessive shipping.

I don't think they were idiots so much as they were unscrupulous, except insofar as all unscrupulous people can be considered idiots.

Solution: Include shipping cost in the item price and offer free shipping.

Your still paying it regardless if you up you factor it into your price. The seller can not win.

If you add the additional cost to the shipping then some buyers may factor that you are charging more. They might even leave you a negative feedback.

Actually dont they charge based on the total price of the item sold (final price + shipping ) not separate charges for item and shipping. PLus didnt that change over a year ago.

Actually dont they charge based on the total price of the item sold (final price + shipping ) not separate charges for item and shipping. PLus didnt that change over a year ago.

Listed as two separate charges. I was told the change happened back in September 2011

I hadn't sold anything for quite a while but lately I have been. Cleaning out the basement to support a rather expensive hobby...

Anyway, it is a complete rip-off. Surprisingly so. I'd think they would at least waive that shipping fee if you use "Buyer pays actual shipping" but noooo....

So, quick breakdown of my most recent experience to show anyone who doesn't know just how bad it really is now:

Sale Price: $600.00
Actual Shipping Charge (as determined by eBay): $47.39
Total: $647.39

Final Value Fee: $ 54.00
Shipping Fee: $ 4.27
PayPal Fee: $ 19.07
Actual Shipping: $49.59
Total: $126.93

Net: $520.46

[Insert take-it-up-the-ass smiley here]

Last edited:
Back