DiD BOB ____ Winters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well he is a public figure in the 'greatest thrust upon him' veign. Nothing can change that.

To be fair though, I think it makes him an even greater hero given the fact that he's seeking anonymity vs. jumping on the celebrity bandwagon like some of the more recent "military celebrities" are doing.

To be fair though, I think it makes him an even greater hero given the fact that he's seeking anonymity vs. jumping on the celebrity bandwagon like some of the more recent "military celebrities" are doing.

I agree, but then the respectful solution is perhaps to do Buck Compton or Lewis Nixon, if you want to represent a real person.

Compton was the L.A. District Attorney, so a) a politician and b) I met him at a militaria show (where he was selling autographs), so he is hardly shy about his life's accomplishments. And Lewis Nixon was my favourite of the lot and I doubt he would have objected. Dragon did heads of both Neal McDounagh (spelling?) and Ron Livingston.

one of the best post you have ever made

Being in the industry I'm in, it actually sickens me to see these shameless people whore themselves out to airsofters as authorities on the sport, exploiting their "heroism" via their military careers as a means to justify it. IMHO, heroism and humility go hand in hand.

I agree, but then the respectful solution is perhaps to do Buck Compton or Lewis Nixon, if you want to represent a real person.

Compton was the L.A. District Attorney, so a) a politician and b) I met him at a militaria show (where he was selling autographs), so he is hardly shy about his life's accomplishments. And Lewis Nixon was my favourite of the lot and I doubt he would have objected. Dragon did heads of both Neal McDounagh (spelling?) and Ron Livingston.

Having action figures made of yourself and getting a percentage is one thing. I don't have much respect for people like that who sell their autographs though. Actors and the like are understandable as it's part of their trade. People who were in the right place, at the right time, on our country's payroll, no. It's shameless, pathetic and disrespectful.

People who were in the right place, at the right time, on our country's payroll, no. It's shameless, pathetic and disrespectful.

I totally agree with that. If they were to sculpt a real person like Richard Winters or Claus von Stauffenberg, then that individual or their family should unequivocally get the royalties.

There are really two issues here:
1. Dragon/DiD using famous, unlicensed sculpts for years on end, which as you say is far, far less outrageous with a celebrity than a private citizen.

2. The historical accuracy angle (Hollywood vs. reality), which is what I have been trying to comment on.

I totally agree with that. If they were to sculpt a real person like Richard Winters or Claus von Stauffenberg, then that individual or their family should unequivocally get the royalties.

There are really two issues here:
1. Dragon/DiD using famous, unlicensed sculpts for years on end, which as you say is far, far less outrageous with a celebrity than a private citizen.

2. The historical accuracy angle (Hollywood vs. reality), which is what I have been trying to comment on.

I hear ya about that. Unfortunately, I think there's more of a market for, say, George C. Scott as Patton than the real Patton. Or as has proven true, Tom Sizemore as Daniel McKnight vs. the real McKnight. Of course, this could be easily overcome by companies releasing both heads and letting the owner choose which he prefers.

Most of these figure companies use the actors' sculpts in order to guarantee additional sales of the figure. Someone not interested in a certain figure may simply want just the headsculpt for a custom bash and will end up buying either the headsculpt or body loose or the entire boxed figure and sell off the rest.

As previously mentioned before, it could be that the real Maj. Winters doesn't want his image made into a toy figure. It happened before with the estate of Randall Shughart, the Medal of Honor recipient during the "Black Hawk Down" mission. His family didn't approve a figure to be made by Dragon/DML. Dragon did get approval for a Gary Gordon figure.

Back