`Diary of The DEAD` Romero Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, do you know if Savini was involved with Diary of the Dead? I can't imagine a Romero zombie romp without him, but I haven't heard anything about who worked on the SFX yet. Just wondering. :D

No. No Savini.

I don't think he's worked make-up w/ Romero since '85's Day of the Dead. :monkey2

He starred in 'Land', but no FX or anything...

Gomen, ne?

The remake of Dawn of the Dead was a good film....AS LONG AS you don't compare it to the original...besides having the same concept, they're pretty much completely different films...

This was finally released here today. BUT, it is PG-13!?!? The film I saw at Sundance WAS NOT PG-13. It was definatley R. I wonder why they cut it down for the PG-13 rating? They had to cut pretty much ALL of the cool zombie deaths for that. :confused:

I can only assume the "real" version will come out as an "unrated" DVD. After the credits were over there was the offical MPAA "R" rating attached to it so I have no idea what is going on with this film now.

This was finally released here today. BUT, it is PG-13!?!? The film I saw at Sundance WAS NOT PG-13. It was definatley R. I wonder why they cut it down for the PG-13 rating? They had to cut pretty much ALL of the cool zombie deaths for that. :confused:

I can only assume the "real" version will come out as an "unrated" DVD. After the credits were over there was the offical MPAA "R" rating attached to it so I have no idea what is going on with this film now.

Sucks that they lost some ratings with the movie. Atleast they will more then likey release an unrated DVD soon.

Sucks that they lost some ratings with the movie. Atleast they will more then likey release an unrated DVD soon.

I think this just proves the "unrated" DVD fad has gone too far. They had to water the theatrical release down just do have an "unrated" DVD? That is just stupid. Just release the R-rated version that was shown at the film festivals!

I think this just proves the "unrated" DVD fad has gone too far. They had to water the theatrical release down just do have an "unrated" DVD? That is just stupid. Just release the R-rated version that was shown at the film festivals!

that is what I was thinking, but couldnt get the wording right.

I just saw this last night, finally. Seemed pretty violent to me. Did they cut out the zombie acid head gag when you saw it?

I saw it at Sundance in its pure, uncut glory. I was just saying it was released in regular theaters here as a PG-13 version. Didn't see it, might be worth a laugh though. :lol

Bumping this old thread.

I just watched this movie on cable through the demand feature.

This movie is AWFUL!

Holy crap, if I hadn't paid for this there is no way I would have made it through the first 10 minutes. The acting is pure crap down to 2 of the actors having fake horrible accents.

There is no reason for this movie. There is no motive. I can't find the words but the movie just seems worthless. And there is also no payoff.

Maybe this would have been good if I hadn't seen Cloverfield but I doubt it. Cloverfield felt real but this just felt fake all the way through.

Also there was just too much popping out. In the first 20 minutes there are so many zombies jumping out of nowhere that I thought for sure this was meant to be filmed in 3D.

If there is anything worth seeing in this film it is the final scenes that take place in a mansion. These scenes seemed like they were there just to show Romero fans what his Resident Evil movie would have been like. The scenes are nothing special and actually quite boring but it at least shows how he would have shot the film.

Seriously, do not rent this. Do not pay for this. If you MUST see it, wait for HBO or something.

Really if you are a fan of Romero just don't see it, you'll be better off.

Things to better spend your money on: World War Z the novel, Day by Day Armageddon, Night of the Living Dead (either version) on DVD

^^^ Agreed. I saw it recently too and it did nothing but piss me off. It was pretty embarrassing.

Things to better spend your money on: World War Z the novel, Day by Day Armageddon, Night of the Living Dead (either version) on DVD

While I agree that it is not Romero's best, this movie is still better than Land of the Dead and not as bad as you say. The acting is crap, but that is a constant in all of Romero's movies (especially Day of the Dead). There are a lot of great parts and a few so-so parts, but I enjoyed it.

I saw that you recommended Night of the Living Dead (either version). While the original Night of the Living Dead is the BEST zombie movie ever made, Savini's remake is pure garbage. Stick with Night, Dawn and Day, Re-Animator, Shaun, etc.

I have to agree with the majority here. I am a huge fan of Romero's earlier work and while I find Dawn to be the best film conceptually, I thought Day to be the most captivating despite the overacting. I think the real drama in these Dead movies is not the danger from the zombies but from the danger that the humans pose to themselves and each other. There was no such build up or pay off in this film. It lacked the claustrophobia and subversive social commentary of Night, Dawn, and Day. Also, I felt the first hand filming technique (documentary style) was not a good choice for Romero and the AMish guy was totally out of place. A vanity project to be sure.

Romero made 1 classic(NOTLD), 1 great movie(DOTD), 1 so so movie(DayOTD), and a bunch of crap. I love him, but he hasn't made a decent movie in over 20 years.

It lacked the claustrophobia and subversive social commentary of Night, Dawn, and Day.

The strange thing is the movie did have social commentary about the twisting of information in this electronic age. But it seemed like he was against public speaking and the allowing of the public to voice and share their opinions. Did anyone else get that from the film?

Back