Detolf Modifications.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riteguytu here! :)

Thanks for the complimentary comments. More info on how to build the display in the 'how to build a kickass (and cost effective)display' thread:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...59-kickass-cost-effective-statue-display.html

@potato - the point is being able to create a custom themed display at very little cost. This theme is 'Asgardian', but really any other theme can just as easily be created...

Sorry mate, didnt realise you were a member. Saw the pics on clubhouse and though they deserved to beshared.

Finally saw the custom cabinet...very nice! How are you reinforcing the middle section though? To me, it just looks like a cabinet built around detolfs. How are you able to support all that weight on the middle shelf?

Sorry mate, didnt realise you were a member. Saw the pics on clubhouse and though they deserved to be shared.

No problem at all. Please feel free to share this and anything else you want to :)

Finally saw the custom cabinet...very nice! How are you reinforcing the middle section though? To me, it just looks like a cabinet built around detolfs. How are you able to support all that weight on the middle shelf?

The recommended limit for one glass shelf is about 13 pounds of weight. I have all 3 glass shelves in the middle section so they can accommodate a considerable amount of weight.

No problem at all. Please feel free to share this and anything else you want to :)

The recommended limit for one glass shelf is about 13 pounds of weight. I have all 3 glass shelves in the middle section so they can accommodate a considerable amount of weight.

I can see how the glass can support that weight but what about the metal frame? That looks pretty weak actually. Are you sure it will hold?

I can see how the glass can support that weight but what about the metal frame? That looks pretty weak actually. Are you sure it will hold?

Yes, pretty sure. Ikea typically overdesigns and then underspecifies to cover themselves. Someone has actually experimented with detolfs and loaded the shelves with up to 70 lbs without incident:

detolfShelf70lbs_zps1b27f00b.jpg

Yes, pretty sure. Ikea typically overdesigns and then underspecifies to cover themselves. Someone has actually experimented with detolfs and loaded the shelves with up to 70 lbs without incident:

Depends how long the test has been going on.

Depends how long the test has been going on.

30lbs for 2 years and then upped to 70lbs :) Here's the thread: Your heaviest statue on one detolf shelf?!? - Page 9 - Statue Forum

I'm not advocating that anyone put 70lbs of statue on their detolfs. I'm just saying that they will take a lot more than the advertised weight limit. For example the statues in my lounge display have been in place for over a year while I noodled on it in my free time without incident...

anyone have the old version detolf next to a new version detolf? do they look weird together or are they close enough in appearance it's not noticeable?

Wow, good to know man! I am still a tad scared to put too much on the middle but still nice to have that option.

Hello everyone, I'll be picking up 3 Detolfs to house my growing collection and I want to replace all the shelves and add custom ones while I'm at it. Would 1/4" thick tempered shelves be ideal to house a collection ranging from 1/6 figures to 15" resin statues? Should I go for thicker?

The rods that come with the detolf, will they be strong enough to hold anywhere from 2-4 extra shelves per unit or should I look into replacing them with something stronger?

While I'm here, would a strong acrylic shelf be better in the long run over tempered glass?

Hey guys! Great work on all your display so far and thanks for all the info here. I'm thinking about adding some shelfs to my Detolf too, and I've been looking at wire rope clips. Thing is - I use milimeters and not inches in my country. I've seen one source say that I should use 3mm, and then one other source say you need 3/16" which is 4.7mm. So my question is: Does it matter if I take 3mm or 4mm wire rope clips? What do you use?

Hello everyone, I'll be picking up 3 Detolfs to house my growing collection and I want to replace all the shelves and add custom ones while I'm at it. Would 1/4" thick tempered shelves be ideal to house a collection ranging from 1/6 figures to 15" resin statues? Should I go for thicker?

1/4in tempered glass should suffice as it's strong as an ox.

The rods that come with the detolf, will they be strong enough to hold anywhere from 2-4 extra shelves per unit or should I look into replacing them with something stronger?

That's a good question. I guess it will depend on how heavy the collectibles are that you're adding to all the shelves and how many extra shelves you plan on adding. I'd try to get a rough estimate calculated then post it here.

Question: if you're planning to display 12inch-15inch collectibles, how are you going add more than a single extra shelf without running out of room?

While I'm here, would a strong acrylic shelf be better in the long run over tempered glass?

That will depend on how much weight you plan on putting on the shelf.

Hey guys! Great work on all your display so far and thanks for all the info here. I'm thinking about adding some shelfs to my Detolf too, and I've been looking at wire rope clips. Thing is - I use milimeters and not inches in my country. I've seen one source say that I should use 3mm, and then one other source say you need 3/16" which is 4.7mm. So my question is: Does it matter if I take 3mm or 4mm wire rope clips? What do you use?

I don't think will matter much. Your best bet is probably to purchase one of each size, take them home and fit them on the cabinet to see which you like better. They should cost less than a dollar each so it isn't too bad. ;)

Last edited:
Question: if you're planning to display 12inch-15inch collectibles, how are you going add more than a single extra shelf without running out of room?

I asked myself this very question last night while I was taking measurements of my room and some statues. I decided on getting a PAX as I have the space to accommodate it and it has the space to accommodate my collection. Thanks for your help ;)

anyone have the old version detolf next to a new version detolf? do they look weird together or are they close enough in appearance it's not noticeable?

Not sure how old you mean but I have 2 that I got in 2007 and 2 that I got in 2014. Side by side there is a subtle difference in thickness of the base/top but nothing that really stands out.

Back