Detolf cabinet question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staps1138

Super Freak
Reaction score
Any ideas on what would be the best way to change the rack placement from the standard 3 levels for glass shelving in order to customize for the bigger figs (PredAlien, powerloader) and still utilize all the space? I hate to just take out one shelf and waste the space between the next level so I'd like to refigure the level placement so I can still use all 3 glass shelves without comprimising the unit and possibly breaking something.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Any ideas on what would be the best way to change the rack placement from the standard 3 levels for glass shelving in order to customize for the bigger figs (PredAlien, powerloader) and still utilize all the space? I hate to just take out one shelf and waste the space between the next level so I'd like to refigure the level placement so I can still use all 3 glass shelves without comprimising the unit and possibly breaking something.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I once contiplated this, but never went through with it, I would say get u some cable cutters and a welder, should do the trick

its VERY easy to do, with bigger items you dont want to mess around with plastic !!!

Buy a strip of metal and bend it into a upside down U shape with a flat top, make 2 of these and rest them on the original beams that come across. then all you do is cable tie them in place and put foam pads on the bars to support the origional glass plates. :)

(check the picture below)

DSCF1372.jpg

Thanks for this info Raider, i never thought of that,yet it is so simple! :google

Brilliant raider. Although I do love the detolfs and own one myself, the one thing I never did like about it is when you install a light and can see all the wires running all over the place. You can never hide it being that its glass all around :mad:. I'm currently using a battery powered LED but its a PIA to open it case every time just to turn it on.

tip for the lights, if you are using the dioder lights,

Buy a sticker with the wood print,cut it to size and make 4 holes for the wires,put the lights in and tape the wires on place,and apply the sticker.

ofcourse you will see some bobbling from the wires but at least it isn't noticable from a distance.

EDIT: haven't done it myself yet,planning to do it this weekend though :p

Thanks for the tips guys, great work.

Sputnik - can't wait to see your pics.

Raider - what type of metal did you use?

Thanks for the tips guys, great work.

Sputnik - can't wait to see your pics.

Raider - what type of metal did you use?

well seeing its going in your display i used stainless steel, and to suport the weight i bought it 3mm thick , but it depends what you plan on holding up

its VERY easy to do, with bigger items you dont want to mess around with plastic !!!

Buy a strip of metal and bend it into a upside down U shape with a flat top, make 2 of these and rest them on the original beams that come across. then all you do is cable tie them in place and put foam pads on the bars to support the origional glass plates. :)

(check the picture below)

DSCF1372.jpg

wOW very good

well seeing its going in your display i used stainless steel, and to suport the weight i bought it 3mm thick , but it depends what you plan on holding up

Raider - I'm not going to put much weight on it, just a few small things so I don't waste the space. I haven't bought or even looked for stainless steel before; where did you get it at? I guess you can pick it up at a hardware store like Lowe's or Menards?

Thanks again for the help!

In Denmark (I guess the Detolf is pretty standard everywhere) the glassshelves can each hold 6kg (3 pounds? idunno exactly) which is quite alot, but have this in mind before putting your larger statues (valuables!) in there... just a thing to concider.

Sideshow has est. weight on all their stuff on their site, so I made sure each item added up didn't exceed 6kg.

Basic knowledge for you folks, but I felt the need for the info in this thread. ;)

i've got a han solo PF AND a leia PF on 1 shelf (not on the bottom but on 1 glass shelf) and it hold out very good ,no weird sounds or cracks on the shelf :wacky.

Han is about 7 kg and Leia 2? according to the Sideshow product site.
So i am 3 kg above recommended weight and it hold just perfect!

just make sure the weight is good spread on the whole shelf (one peace of 9 kg make's the glass bend throught the middle and so on)

I have Leia on a acryl riser and Hand in front of it,just give it a try,but don;t put one peace on there,that would even freak me out :p:google

EDIT:

Just to be sure you guys don't try foolish thing's.
Placing two glass shelf's on top of eachother don't make it stronger to hold more weight,it all depends on the steel 'base' of the Detolf.

Back