Defiance

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weary of Irisa. Bad actress, bad writing for her, the story just grinds to a halt whenever she's on screen. She's just there to be conflicted, complain, whine and be the archetype "rebellious" feminist teen/tween character. There is zero chemistry ( father and daughter oriented obviously) between her and Nolan. It's a difficult character to play probably and they just picked possibly the worst overall actress to try for it.

To me, the show is carried by Datak and his wife and his family hijinks. Also Doc Yuell and surprisingly, Julie Benz. A show revolving just around Datak with the McCawleys as their feud family would have been a much better show, and more entertaining. The Doc steals all her scenes.

Some interesting elements to the show, it's just that Irisa and her story arcs IMHO drag the entire show down. The show would be better off if she got killed off at the end of S1.

Weary of Irisa. Bad actress, bad writing for her, the story just grinds to a halt whenever she's on screen. She's just there to be conflicted, complain, whine and be the archetype "rebellious" feminist teen/tween character. There is zero chemistry ( father and daughter oriented obviously) between her and Nolan. It's a difficult character to play probably and they just picked possibly the worst overall actress to try for it.

To me, the show is carried by Datak and his wife and his family hijinks. Also Doc Yuell and surprisingly, Julie Benz. A show revolving just around Datak with the McCawleys as their feud family would have been a much better show, and more entertaining. The Doc steals all her scenes.

Some interesting elements to the show, it's just that Irisa and her story arcs IMHO drag the entire show down. The show would be better off if she got killed off at the end of S1.

I don't dislike her as much as you, but I understand what you're saying. Her character now isn't the one that was in the beginning of Season 1. I like the old Irisa better.

Datak: Let us look to the future. One that would be... incomplete without the family together.
Christie: Our family? You mean the one you scarred and tried to drown? Are you aware of how much pain you've caused?
Datak: Well, it's not like I dropped a whore from the top of the Gateway Arch, now, is it?

Hahahaahhahaah. Love Datak.

Finally caught up with the first three (or two, if you count the premiere as one episode) episodes of season 3! Overall I thought it was a strong start.

I was sad to see Pottinger go. At least without much of a send-off. I thought they did a decent job of developing him last season. That being said, after the finale last season I expected that we'd see the show go in some different directions quickly. The swift execution of the McCauleys was brutal. I'd come to like Rafe a lot, certainly. The affection shown him and the others by the Tar's was rather sweet, in a way.

I was glad Nolan and Irisa made it back quickly, though I'm intrigued to see where the fact they were joined in the pod is going. I mean, you don't make your characters wear wound make-up for who knows how many episodes if there's not some point.

The Omec feel a little... oh... cheap, to be honest. Just design-wise. They just don't feel quite as high-quality as some of the other alien designs (many of which seem to have largely disappeared from town, it seems.) But, as characters they are interesting. I found Nolan's acceptance and belief in them a bit baffling. One thing I think is good about Nolan's characterization is they often make him pretty clever. But he and the Mayor seem a little too trusting of these guys.

I felt pretty bad for Doc Yewll, even though she's done her fair share of shady deeds. It was still a pretty brutal scene. Which was why I was surprised there wasn't a little more venom from her in the third episode. I agree there's not enough Berlin. I hope they give her more to do than just be pissed off at Irisa and take Tommy's place as a third gun in the police force. Although it was a bit fuzzy whether Nolan had his hold post back or not. Irisa was a great character in the first season, but I do feel like she's kind of lost her way. I still like her—and her and Nolan together—but she could use some work.

Defiance feels a bit smaller this year. I don't know if the budget was cut or what, but there seems to be a slightly smaller scale to everything so far. I'm not sure that's a totally bad thing, to be honest. I like when it focuses on the characters. I wish more people would discover the show. It's a great action-adventure sci-fi show. It's not always brilliant, but I always find it very involving.

Well, the latest episode might as well been called "Wrapping Up Pottinger."

But I'm glad it happened. Tying back in Connor (I sort of forgot about his and Pottinger's connection) was interesting, and of course it left Amanda with a tough choice. That her choice lead to the destruction of such a valuable resource was no surprise. From the moment we saw the virtual Eden of base I figured it was a goner. Life is never that easy on Defiance. Frankly, I don't blame Amanda any more than Nolan did. She deserved her revenge. And, she didn't actually believe Pottinger. But I was glad she put herself first for once. She kind of deserves it after all the sacrifices she makes.

The Stahma/Omec guy story was fun. I'm intrigued to see where it all leads. Hopefully Stahma and Datak can use the Omec to get themselves out from under the VC. Feels like they have a common enemy, there. The male Omec is played by a good actor. He makes the character interesting, and I enjoyed his interactions with Stahma.

I'm kind of already over the head-wound thing with Nolan and Irisa. Hopefully they wrap that up soon. Still need more Berlin and Yewll.

Well, the latest episode might as well been called "Wrapping Up Pottinger."

But I'm glad it happened. Tying back in Connor (I sort of forgot about his and Pottinger's connection) was interesting, and of course it left Amanda with a tough choice. That her choice lead to the destruction of such a valuable resource was no surprise. From the moment we saw the virtual Eden of base I figured it was a goner. Life is never that easy on Defiance. Frankly, I don't blame Amanda any more than Nolan did. She deserved her revenge. And, she didn't actually believe Pottinger. But I was glad she put herself first for once. She kind of deserves it after all the sacrifices she makes.

The Stahma/Omec guy story was fun. I'm intrigued to see where it all leads. Hopefully Stahma and Datak can use the Omec to get themselves out from under the VC. Feels like they have a common enemy, there. The male Omec is played by a good actor. He makes the character interesting, and I enjoyed his interactions with Stahma.

I'm kind of already over the head-wound thing with Nolan and Irisa. Hopefully they wrap that up soon. Still need more Berlin and Yewll.

I like that they're purging the show of a lot of characters that have played out their parts. Berlin should be in that too, IMO. I've never cared for her. Yewll I love. She's so deadpan. :lol

Yeah, I think the character purge is actually not a bad thing for the show. Stahma/Datak, Irisa/Nolan/Amanda and Doc Yewll are the main characters I have interest in. I did like Berlin, though. I thought she brought an interesting energy to the role. But this season, just griping with Irisa about Tommy... well, that's been a little boring.

Defiance 3x4: History Rhymes

Random thought: I miss the proper opening credits. Watching Killjoys made me remember how much I liked them for getting into the world.

Spoilery thoughts:
Another episode stalling General Tahk's assault on Defiance, but I don't mind. I think it's cool to see how events proceed before it. It's still weird to me how close that Tahk (and by extension Pilar and the McCauleys) is to Defiance. That means when Rafe, Stahma and Datak were wandering around for the many months before season 3 began that they were not more than a couple hours drive from Defiance at any one time, it seems. I mean, that must be how Alak got back so quickly? But, that's minor stuff.

The meat of this episode, to me, was the Irisa/Nolan stuff. The contrivance of the linked mind is pretty classic sci-fi, but it served to give us something really interesting here as far as developing Nolan and Irisa's relationship. Not only did it provide an eye-opening experience for Nolan about how differently Irisa perceived their relationship in the early days, but it also revealed Irisa's aversion to killing was much more deep-seated than dealing with recent events.

I like Doc Yewll and the new veterinarian guys' rapport. I still can't believe Yewll isn't a series regular.

3x5 : Where The Apples Fell

This, to me, was one of the more exciting episodes of the season. The Tarr's beat-down of their son was pretty intense, even if it was partly just to get him to listen to reason. His flipping on them to Nolan was exciting, as was that they were on the run. Datak and Stahma had to pay the piper at some point, and it's always fun to watch them maneuver.

Alak - A character that hasn't always been my favorite, really came into his own. It was a great showcase for him, and I loved the scenes with Irisa and Nolan. Datak being fooled by Alak and Nolan was great, as was Datak's reaction after he found out.

The Amanda/Stahma confrontation was great. I wish Amanda could have acquitted herself as well physically as she did with her biting and rather truthful words. I do believe Stahma truly cares for Alak just as she cared for Christie. But her sense of self-preservation is also huge, too.

It was interesting to get inside Yewll's head a bit this episode, and her perspective on what Nolan and Amanda did to her was refreshing from a storytelling standpoint. I am intrigued to see if there will be any repercussions for her.

HELL YES HE IS! :D

Catching up:

3x7 The Beauty of Our Weapons

This was an pretty decent episode. I really liked Nolan’s speech, but I was sad that Berlin was apparently really into Ian Ziering, of all people. When I see him now, all I can think of is Sharknado. That’s not a great thing. Berlin deserves better, frankly. I will say, though, the whole affair was worth it for Amanda’s confrontation with Berlin. I love Amanda. The tension between T’evgin and Kindzi is a bit boring, actually. I really like both characters a lot. But they are much more interesting when they aren’t squabbling. And, of course, Datak’s meeting his fate willingly really highlighted what we all love in his character. P.S. - Irisa’s hair is awesome! She looks great.

3x8 My Name Is Datak Tarr and I Have Come to Kill You

This was one of my favorite episodes of the season. T’evgin’s change of heart was so wonderful. It’s possibly the most “Star Trek” moment of the show. It was... kind of a beautiful moment. It helps I really love the actor. I wish he’d take Nolan up on his offer. Nolan leading the troops to ruin was painful, although I did kind of figure the son was pretty much signposted to become canon fodder at some point. It was a good turn character-wise for Nolan. But, the best part of the episode had to be the bad-assery of Datak Tarr (after the equal science bad-assery of Doc Yewll) in that final scene. Who would have thought after 7 episodes of build-up that Rahm Takk would be taken out so quickly! But I wouldn’t call his defeat easy, even if it came quickly. I thought it was great, and avoided a drawn-out firefight. I do wonder where the season goes from here, though... both the threat of Rahm Takk and the Omac (theoretically) has been solved.

3x9 Ostinato in White

I was SO freaked out Defiance had actually killed off Doc Yewll! I don’t understand why she isn’t a regular. I’m glad it ended up being a clone. I really liked Nolan dealing with what happened in the tunnel. Stahma’s homecoming was great, too. Nothing is ever easy! Doc Yewll and her new assistant are a great team. I was hoping we’d see more of them. I hope whatever she pumped him full of wasn’t lethal! Minus points for the musical montage of people we barely saw or knew. I mean, I know they meant something to Nolan. But the whole thing was a bit cheesy. I think Nolan’s performance alone could have sold it. Even though it SEEMED like it was T’evgin who was killing people for about a second or two, I really was hoping that would be a fake out... so it was a relief it was Kindzi, having a hard time accepting she might have a new place in this new world. Poor Doc! I’m always happy when Doc Yewll gets more to do. But it is annoying how she keeps getting the raw end of things. I mean, twice this season she’s already been bodily violated—first a strip of her flesh is removed and then she’s cloned. And THEN, she has something inserted to her to control her mind! If there’s a season 4 I wish they’d give her a more active role in the series. Interesting to hear that Indogenes were, basically, made to be cattle! :O Amanda got pretty mean with Stahma. I don’t blame her. I wonder what she has planned for her.

What? Her hair is the best it's ever looked. And I kind of love where they took her character, too.

Defiance doesn't get a ton of press or attention, but I really do love the show. Even thought it suffers for it's low budget, and it doesn't reach the highest highs of some genre shows it's such a good, solid, interesting show with characters I've really come to care for. I thought the season 3 finale (which I was just able to catch up on) was fantastic. In some ways, it'd be as fitting a series finale as we could hope for. It was a bit of a miracle that it got a third season. So, while I do hope for a fourth season, I'm glad they were able to end on a note that brought a great deal of emotional closure for the show.

What? Her hair is the best it's ever looked. And I kind of love where they took her character, too.

Defiance doesn't get a ton of press or attention, but I really do love the show. Even thought it suffers for it's low budget, and it doesn't reach the highest highs of some genre shows it's such a good, solid, interesting show with characters I've really come to care for. I thought the season 3 finale (which I was just able to catch up on) was fantastic. In some ways, it'd be as fitting a series finale as we could hope for. It was a bit of a miracle that it got a third season. So, while I do hope for a fourth season, I'm glad they were able to end on a note that brought a great deal of emotional closure for the show.

I don't care for her. They took a badass and made her beyond a wimp. She causes more trouble than she's worth.

I hope there's another season. I honestly don't know why people aren't watching this. :(

I think it was a nice final ... felt to me that was the end.. Irisa character was horrible throughout the while season

I don't care for her. They took a badass and made her beyond a wimp. She causes more trouble than she's worth.

I hope there's another season. I honestly don't know why people aren't watching this. :(

I actually thought that was WAY more interesting. Nolan's already a bad-ass. In fact, the show's full of bad-ass characters. We don't necessarily need another one. Having someone become a pacifist, basically, at the MOST inopportune time (and the friction that caused between Nolan and her) was far more interesting than just seeing her killing people real good.

Back