Death's siren.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did the math.

if you had a finishing artist do final work for 1 hour per statue they could do 8 per day. that's 40 per week per finishing artist.(my guess is they might work longer hours and more days per week...I work as an artist and generally do 7 days a week and also work about 10 hours per day...and I am in the US and work for Warner Brothers/ DC comics) if you have 10 of these artists you could do 400 pieces a week...and if there's 20...that would be 800 tightly finished pieces.......I mean it's not that much to ask...I'd be curious how many 'front end" painters they use and what the entire process is.

but I don't think what I am suggesting as a work method having the lesser painters set up the pieces to have the best tighten up the final pieces is that much to ask...and as you can see...they could easily handle 500-1000 statues using a finishing process in 2-4 weeks...and even if it took 2 hours per statue and a few weeks longer/ you could still knock out beautiful finishes in 4-8 weeks/

I read the comments around this statue really sad, comments that talk about a flat paint and dull even comparing it to the painful Maquette Godzilla, now I think someone did not understand that a statue same as the prototype of what not and never will ever, we work them very professional people like Kate Sapene, then maybe they are the same people that you pre-order the new pf Red Sonja still thinking that you get home that masterpiece: D Going back to the Siren of death, I believe that this time Sideshow did the maximum of this statue is like painting as sculpt, when there is to congratulate you do and just not be prevented for a job went less well previously, Gallevarbe came out well, as always, but not the same as the prototype a good product to sell to the public, and after these photos even though with much flash that affect the colors are even more sure of what I'm going to buy and that is a beautiful statue !!

I don't expect these to look exactly like the prototype, but I'd like something reasonably close. I think for the amount of money we're paying for these, we at least deserve that much.

So far, I'm not impressed with any of the in hand photos of the Siren. The paint really is dull and flat, especially on the jewelry. Her victims and the base don't look too great either. I hate that I'm saying all this, because this was one of my favorite sculpts to date... it's unfortunate that it was marred by the factory like this.

I don't expect these to look exactly like the prototype, but I'd like something reasonably close. I think for the amount of money we're paying for these, we at least deserve that much.

So far, I'm not impressed with any of the in hand photos of the Siren. The paint really is dull and flat, especially on the jewelry. Her victims and the base don't look too great either. I hate that I'm saying all this, because this was one of my favorite sculpts to date... it's unfortunate that it was marred by the factory like this.

Totally agree, the paint on her base is very flat and dull, just like Godzilla.

Production -

11jncs8.jpg

Prototype -

24o8x9d.jpg

Totally agree, the paint on her base is very flat and dull, just like Godzilla.

Production -

11jncs8.jpg

Prototype -

24o8x9d.jpg

And thats where I am saying take the statue up to the point we've just seen and what's getting shipped. Have a group of their best painters who essentially do a quality control final run for 1 hour per piece or 2. They clean up bad edges, hit areas where the preliminary painting didn't get all the smaller details. These artists would know the proto look back and forth and could add the "love" and artistry we all desire. And look I know a prototype with ss best painters is still going to be superior to an assembly line finished piece. I also have 20 years of professional work and knowledge and can see that the finished piece with some key areas embellished by a good painter would leap forward in quality with a short amount of quality time.

I just saw the Star Craft Kerrigan piece and it's a stronger work than this one...so it seems a bit random what they nail and don't. My Poison Ivy premium format exclusive (flesh colored skin) is decent but I'd argue my 1-2 hours of love theory could take it from a C+ paint job to a high B or even A.

Just my two cents.

no that looks great to me. I've seen about 5 or 6 shipped now with pics from the new owner...it's about 50/50 a few look killer and a few need a little push...not the end of the world.

my comments above were thinking aloud across the board on when the paint jobs don't meet the buyers expectations and what might be able to be done to fix it during the original production stage...I'd complimented the statues I'd seen in this thread a few times related to this exact statue.

Two separate people over on Statue forum have reported there is a crack at the point where her tail connects to the rock, I'd advise others who have received her to check that area on the statue.

Here's a pic of the crack -

2u7rknb.jpg

Mine looks great. The paint looks wonderful, subtle, and creepy. The sculpt is amazing. No cracks, no blemishes. However, the one issue I have is that the left side water section looks a bit warped on the back side. I am wondering if I can add some heat to it, if I can bend it back into place a bit. The front fits perfectly but the back looks like it warped and is now like a 1/4 inch higher than it should be.

I took the picture on my Surface Pro as I wrote this, so the picture quality is poor. But, you can see how it is sitting up a good bit.

WIN_20151221_17_55_41_Pro.jpg

That is the only thing that I was disappointed in. It might even be a piece Sideshow might be able to replace. I will see what they say.

10325680_1241723335854271_7377519999462849111_n.jpg

This is just a temporary location (moved my markers to make space in my studio) but it looked great with the print above it. Now I really want to get a nice display case stand and some good lighting for this statue.

Simple fix. I was able to adjust it with the heat from a blow dryer. It did not take much and it was easily pliable after a few seconds on high. It stayed in position and looks perfect now.

siren.jpg

# 306 showed up a day early.

Hello Sailor!

DS 1.jpg

Working on getting a even tan.

ds 2.jpg

ds 6.jpg

ds.jpg

Who are you looking at Tin Boobs?

ds 5.jpg

And thats where I am saying take the statue up to the point we've just seen and what's getting shipped. Have a group of their best painters who essentially do a quality control final run for 1 hour per piece or 2. They clean up bad edges, hit areas where the preliminary painting didn't get all the smaller details. These artists would know the proto look back and forth and could add the "love" and artistry we all desire. And look I know a prototype with ss best painters is still going to be superior to an assembly line finished piece. I also have 20 years of professional work and knowledge and can see that the finished piece with some key areas embellished by a good painter would leap forward in quality with a short amount of quality time.

I just saw the Star Craft Kerrigan piece and it's a stronger work than this one...so it seems a bit random what they nail and don't. My Poison Ivy premium format exclusive (flesh colored skin) is decent but I'd argue my 1-2 hours of love theory could take it from a C+ paint job to a high B or even A.

Just my two cents.
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, I think Sideshow no longer feels the need to add that extra attention these pieces need to make them feel like a collectible item. It seems their business model has changed and they're heading in the wrong direction.

The one above looks really nice though. I've seen about 10 of these online people have received. Nearly all look pretty awesome.

The sculpt is ridiculously good. My hat is off to Mark on this one. I am super happy to have a sculpt of this quality in my collection. Where else could you go to get something like this?

Here are some accurate photos for those who are looking:

G0.jpg~original

G1.jpg~original

G2.jpg~original

G3.jpg~original

G4.jpg~original

G5.jpg~original

G6.jpg~original

Here is my Unboxing and Video Review...

Watching it now. What a bummer....not just the breaks but the paint job on that one was off. The video isn't totally done processing on my end so it's still viewing at around 480P and is pretty blurry...it'll load better once youtube processes it fully.

What you said about the colors was exactly where I said in other posts that they need the "finishing" artist to come in and do the final embellishments and lock in a nice finished product.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck.

(Hey you mentioned my posts here in your video!)

Happy Holidays man. You've got a great collection...so don't sweat this one.

Back