Deadwood

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfan08

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know it's been over for a while, but I'll be damned if this show doesn't deserve it's own thread. I've had the series for a while now, but I'd never had the time to make it past disc 1. I've finally crossed the threshold, though, and is it ever incredible. I figured that it might be nice to have a thread where people could reminisce and discuss the show, as well as the possibilities for the future of its story, and possibly even draw in some who haven't experienced it yet.

There's a thread buried somewhere in this section, but goddamn, I freaking love Deadwood. I'm rewatching it right now on blu-ray and I just started season 2.

Everything about the show just makes it one of the best shows to ever grace HBO and TV. The rich characters, the grit of the town and the remarkable plots just make it such an excellent show.

Plus, nothing beats Al 'Swear-engine' :lol

I'm almost done with season 1 now, and I must say, the conversation between Swearengen and Wu over the stolen "dope" is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

Hahaha that episode is my favourite from season one. :lol

Wu's drawing is amazing....cocksucka! :lol

Still slightly edges out Sopranos for my favorite all time TV show, anyone who hasn't watched it is missing out on the some of the best performances on television. I absolutely loathed Olyphant before I watched this show. Now he and McShane are easily in my top 10 actors. McRaney as Hearst, Jim Beaver, and Garret Dillahunt are also astounding, but theres just no weak or unnecassary characters and no filler. The story comes full circle perfectly without wasting any BS seasons in a coma or exploring a character's inner monologue via dreams which is why I put it just a notch above Sopranos.

How bad does this show leave you hanging? I know it was cancelled and that's the only reason I haven't picked it up. I hate not having an ending to something.

How bad does this show leave you hanging? I know it was cancelled and that's the only reason I haven't picked it up. I hate not having an ending to something.

though i thought it was one of the best shows on tv, it was WAY to short of a run and pretty much everyone that watched the show HATED how it ended. even though it was history correct it still sucked.

now where's my dvd set so i can rewatch it.:dunno:monkey3

Still slightly edges out Sopranos for my favorite all time TV show, anyone who hasn't watched it is missing out on the some of the best performances on television. I absolutely loathed Olyphant before I watched this show. Now he and McShane are easily in my top 10 actors. McRaney as Hearst, Jim Beaver, and Garret Dillahunt are also astounding, but theres just no weak or unnecassary characters and no filler. The story comes full circle perfectly without wasting any BS seasons in a coma or exploring a character's inner monologue via dreams which is why I put it just a notch above Sopranos.
Bah.

DduXc.jpg

I loved the ending "wants me to tell him something pretty.."

Anyone who knows history knew Hearst would live. They got the best revenge they could and ran him out of town, proved to him he indeed wasn't cut out to live there, and that he couldn't throw a fit like a child and get whatever he wanted. No one had every stood upto him like that before, look at Wolcott, far more pyschotic then Swearengen and Bullock and never even questioned Hearst, just killed himself like a bad dog.

More then the story of the town or Swearengen, the shows focal point throughout was the gold claim. We saw it through from discovery, claim, struggle, and ultimately that they had to be willing to sacrifice it and the money in order to continue on the greater good of the camp and everyone in it and to have the chance to keep doing what they always loved where and how they wanted in the place they created for themselves. Swearengen was a real hero on the show, he gave up what he wanted for what was necassary and saved the livlihood of everyone there.

No.5 for me.

Deadwood
Sopranos
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Breaking Bad
The Wire

I never finished it because outside of Hawkes there's nothing to see. McShane wasn't bad if he was given decent dialouge. Two episodes is enough. That fat chick (don't even remember her name) was some of the worst acting I've ever seen on TV.

I never finished it because outside of Hawkes there's nothing to see. McShane wasn't bad if he was given decent dialouge. Two episodes is enough. That fat chick (don't even remember her name) was some of the worst acting I've ever seen on TV.

So much respect lost. The show didn't hook me til the 4th episode and by the 8th it really pulls out the stops.

You basically stopped There Will Be Blood after 15 minutes and decided its a movie about a guy stuck in a hole. :clap

Last edited:
Doubtful. The dialogue takes you completely out of the setting and I honestly don't see how Olyphant is going to magically learn how to act in episode three and on.

I hated Olyphant before I watched the show, no lie. He's brilliant on it when he comes into his character, and that does not happen until ep.4-5 after Bill dies. Up until the 5th episode it's alot of slow burn character building. After that it easily tops the Sopranos and has a very similar feel.

You should try and skip ahead and watch either Suffer the Little Children or my suggestion ep.10 Mr. Wu. I can pretty much guarentee you'll backtrack and get hooked.

Back