DC Direct 13" Superman Returns has arrived

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chamildav

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just picked him up at my local comic shop. It's a good looking figure. Same ginormous body as the other DCD figures. Sculpt is very nicely done and looks very much like Mr. Routh. Paint application is less good. Very poor delineation at the hairline on mine among other issues. Suits not bad but lacks the details we see in the pictures of the Hot Toys version. The suit is also a much deeper blue than the movie suit or other versions of the figure seem to be. The cut of the trunks and the cape are very much like the film version but the color is a darker maroon on the figure. The cape is attached with snaps to the bodysuit. Chest shield and belt are very nicely done in vinyl. The cape isn't pleather but cloth. The boots are the best yet. Molded plastic and they look fantastic. No articulation at the ankles though. No accessories worth detailing, just an extra pair of hands and the dreadful stand they use for the 13 inchers. Overall, this is a great figure for fifty bucks. I'm quite happy with it.

i got him today too. i sure hate the cut joints at the bicep and the top of the thigh. it just looks horrible and will definatley cut thru the bodysuit eventually.

I would be much more likely to buy DCD figures if they would just use a better base body... those bicep and thigh joints would be so much better if they were just done like other figures... Oh well, I still plan on eventually picking up the GL figure, for some reason I've always liked that guy.

I'm sorry guys, I am not liking it at all but nice SS collection. Here's hoping the HT version kicks superass.

DekeStarkiller said:
I'm sorry guys, I am not liking it at all but nice SS collection. Here's hoping the HT version kicks superass.
I can't wait to get the HT version. I definitely think it will be the one to have.

Isn't DC Direct owned by DC Comics???

I can't believe this company, whose has a chance to put out the greatest version of THE greatest comic book superhero and American icon, doesn't.

It's a decent figure, put pales in comparison to the HT version.

Thanks for the heads up! I thought he didn't come out for a couple of weeks. So I went and picked one up. Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, much better than the solicitation pics would have you believe. The suit does seem darker than the movie suit though and it's almost see-through. I hate that you can't bend his ankles for flying poses. The darker seams on the suit that appear raised on the HT version are just drawn on, but at least they're there.

I think it will be fun posing this, the HT and Medicom all together. What can I say - I'm a Super-Nut!

I wait for the sporadic and infrequent Superman trades - although I've bought the incredibly overated and almost unreadable All-Star Superman (but it's not as bad as All-Star Batman, I guess).

Part 1 of "Krypton to Earth" came out this week. It takes place between the first Superman movie and Superman Returns. The story's by Singer, so it might be worth checking out.

Just curious, how's the box art for the figure?

Darklord Dave said:
I wait for the sporadic and infrequent Superman trades - although I've bought the incredibly overated and almost unreadable All-Star Superman (but it's not as bad as All-Star Batman, I guess).
It's a good book Dave, it just doesn't come out often enough. My favorite Superman books are: Red Son (Millar is a comic god), For the Man Who Has Everything (Moore is a god too), and Superman For All Seasons. Also if you like Supes and the gang the New Frontier is tits! Also I have a few silver age "Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen" books, they are hilarious.

I have all the Supes trades, I really like Superman/Batman, the 2nd half of New Frontier was great but I don't know that I've read a Supes book that I really enjoyed a lot since the Death of....

The box art on the 13" is pretty pitiful. No movie pics and the front pic is just an illustration (as opposed to a photo) of Routh as Supes. The figure is pictures on the side and looks decent, but the in flight pose on the back doesn't flatter him. A pretty boring box, comparable to the Mattel packaging for the toys.

The box is pretty vanilla. Actually not even as I like vanilla. But I still think it's a great figure for fifty bucks. And like you Dave I get almost anything Superman. This won't be my only large scale figure. I have a Hot Toys on order too. Well, and a bunch of other stuff.
One thing that truly sucks by the way is the way they taped the cape to the back of the tray. It caused two dark stains to appear on the inside of the cape. Super stupid packaging for this figure. I washed the cape and it helped a little. But it was poorly packaged.

And Superman and Action comics are actually good right now. It's a multi-issue crossover between the two comics and it's being written by Geoff Johns and Kurt Busiek. The future looks bright for Superman comics for a while.

Back