Darth Maul Lightsaber

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is plenty of precedence to suggest that Lucasfilm could care less about customizations on a very (read VERY) small scale. Sorry Badmoon. You do be reaching a bit on this one. :D

compared with the MR emitter which I never did like

emittersc3.jpg

Josh I believe it was $350

The differences are night and day- the custom wins for sure. Thanks for sharing Nash.

Lightsabers are king.

So what you saying is if someone were to create a replica of the patient 0 figure and sell it as such that would be ok? Even though it is a clear copy of a Sideshow product.

You can't say the lightsaber is a direct copy of the MR piece in this type of argument. If both MR and an artist made exact scale replicas, they'd be identical not as the artist ripping off MR, but as both sucessfully mimicking an existing design, it's not like a figure sculpt where it's a creative interpretation of source material. Figures are artistic representations, prop replicas are intended to be exactly like the source material, so the argument wouldn't really hold in replicas.

the saber is definitely not even close to the MR one. Ive owned both this custom and the MR maul saber, which I sold off awhile ago.

The thing with the MR is that it is sort of like with the Takara Masterpiece vs Hasbro Transformers where the Hasbro Prime has the shorter smoke stacks to prevent injury (LOL), where the Takara one has the longer stacks.

The MR saber has been dumbed down a bit....particularly the emitter and also the fins on the side of the emitter. the fins on the MR one are more rounded off to prevent any sort of injury, where as my custom has the sharper ended fins as seen on screen. also the emitter face of my custom is true to what was seen on screen as well (the part where maul hits the force field barrier waiting for quigon while he meditates).

There are also other very subtle details on the custom that are more true to screen accuracy than the MR one.

the saber is definitely not even close to the MR one. Ive owned both this custom and the MR maul saber, which I sold off awhile ago.

The thing with the MR is that it is sort of like with the Takara Masterpiece vs Hasbro Transformers where the Hasbro Prime has the shorter smoke stacks to prevent injury (LOL), where the Takara one has the longer stacks.

The MR saber has been dumbed down a bit....particularly the emitter and also the fins on the side of the emitter. the fins on the MR one are more rounded off to prevent any sort of injury, where as my custom has the sharper ended fins as seen on screen. also the emitter face of my custom is true to what was seen on screen as well (the part where maul hits the force field barrier waiting for quigon while he meditates).

There are also other very subtle details on the custom that are more true to screen accuracy than the MR one.

It's all in the details. I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on some custom lightsaber goodness. :rock

I like the fact that it looks worn or used. Not bright shiney and pristine like the MR stuff. Nash's looks much more like what would be hanging from Maul's belt. It's not my favorite lightsaber design, but that doesn't impune the craftsmanship and attention to detail!

:maul:rock

You can't say the lightsaber is a direct copy of the MR piece in this type of argument. If both MR and an artist made exact scale replicas, they'd be identical not as the artist ripping off MR, but as both sucessfully mimicking an existing design, it's not like a figure sculpt where it's a creative interpretation of source material. Figures are artistic representations, prop replicas are intended to be exactly like the source material, so the argument wouldn't really hold in replicas.

WOW! I usually agree with you. I couldn't disagree more in this instance however. The title of this thread is Darth Maul Lightsaber. I have been reading how good it looks and I myself admit that. It looks just like it does in the movies. So if this guy is selling it as such shouldn't he obtain the proper licenses. I am getting sick of the people on this board shutting down others auctions and stuff for the same reason. This is no different. It doesn't make any sense. Maul this is not an attack on you either. Guys Sideshow can protect their own properties. Let them fight their own battles.

There's a HUGE difference between custom work and knock-offs. It's pretty much black and white. This started off as a casual "look what I got" thread, like so many others no harm just freaks chatting with freaks. But now it will most likely be locked do to a flamewar best left in the Patient X vs. Patinet 0 thread.

WOW! I usually agree with you. I couldn't disagree more in this instance however. The title of this thread is Darth Maul Lightsaber. I have been reading how good it looks and I myself admit that. It looks just like it does in the movies. So if this guy is selling it as such shouldn't he obtain the proper licenses. I am getting sick of the people on this board shutting down others auctions and stuff for the same reason. This is no different. It doesn't make any sense. Maul this is not an attack on you either. Guys Sideshow can protect their own properties. Let them fight their own battles.

I don't perceive it as an attack so don't worry about it.

As for the issue, look at it this way.

REGARDLESS of license from the original source, in this case LFL, and looking at it simply from the standpoint of people producing products, there is a big difference. I have no stance on recasting, but I think there's a difference between that and what's been dicussed here.

If someone recasts an existing creation, even with a few tweaks, it is still a reuse of original material, so the arguments against that practice can have merit.

If someone scratch builds an item based on a property and it happens to incidentally resemble and existing product that was sold by a company, there is no direct relationship between the private artist and the corporation. To make a true replica of a Star Wars prop, or any prop, means to look just like the source, so if 2 separate entities work on the same material, with the same quality, in the end they should have identical products, but the private artist didn't use something premade to achieve their creation, they took all of the steps that the commercial company took, but on a lower production level.

The arguments I've seen about auctions and recasts have to do with pieces that are 100% like the original piece. To recast say a Darth Maul head to produce a number of figures to sell on eBay means that Oluf, who was the artist the created the sculpt, never sees his fair share of profit from his work. That is not the same as a private comission to make something from scratch, there is no original artist that isn't involved in the loop of sale and profit, there is only the one artist that has been comissioned to creat the piece.

Another thing to destroy your crazy arguments Badmoon, my friend doesn't sell his stuff commercially or on Ebay. It's private sales, in which you either know him or are referred to him by people like me (friends).

If you want to continue your argument on "recasting" go post your own recast thread

Another thing to destroy your crazy arguments Badmoon, my friend doesn't sell his stuff commercially or on Ebay. It's private sales, in which you either know him or are referred to him by people like me (friends).

If you want to continue your argument on "recasting" go post your own recast thread

:rock :rock

Pretty sweet looking piece, Nash. Your friend has some obvious talent. What other types of metal-work does he do?

I don't perceive it as an attack so don't worry about it.

As for the issue, look at it this way.

REGARDLESS of license from the original source, in this case LFL, and looking at it simply from the standpoint of people producing products, there is a big difference. I have no stance on recasting, but I think there's a difference between that and what's been dicussed here.

If someone recasts an existing creation, even with a few tweaks, it is still a reuse of original material, so the arguments against that practice can have merit.

If someone scratch builds an item based on a property and it happens to incidentally resemble and existing product that was sold by a company, there is no direct relationship between the private artist and the corporation. To make a true replica of a Star Wars prop, or any prop, means to look just like the source, so if 2 separate entities work on the same material, with the same quality, in the end they should have identical products, but the private artist didn't use something premade to achieve their creation, they took all of the steps that the commercial company took, but on a lower production level.

The arguments I've seen about auctions and recasts have to do with pieces that are 100% like the original piece. To recast say a Darth Maul head to produce a number of figures to sell on eBay means that Oluf, who was the artist the created the sculpt, never sees his fair share of profit from his work. That is not the same as a private comission to make something from scratch, there is no original artist that isn't involved in the loop of sale and profit, there is only the one artist that has been comissioned to creat the piece.

That makes sense. I'm letting it rest.

Back