Darth Maul – STAR WARS Mythos Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Darth Vader (Mythos) Statue

IMG_5676.JPG

:lecture "This is the last time I eat Cheetos before going trick-or-treating! At least I didn't get any on my mask."

:drink

Nice flash. ;)

Pictures on the site looked too good. I got this today and well it's going back. I was expecting cool fire paint effects...now I just feel like someone tagged my statue. I'm going back to my comfort zone, mixed media statues only. Sorry SSC, this is the end of the Mythos collection line for me.

You know, the point of the Mythos line is NOT to give us the iconic image of each character.

It's to create something different.

The orange does not make for the iconic Vader. It was never supposed to. It's to tell a story. The orange tells a story.

Well the story must be that vader is now a sponsor of nascar. It looks pathetic. That pic that jaws posted look acceptable....very jealous of that. Mine was more like the blown out orange pic above.

I think the statue looks fine. Obviously it varies from statue to statue and perhaps it could have been darker, but I think it's fine. I would kind of thing that the people ordering this knew what they were getting into when it comes to this type of paint.

If anybody wants to give theirs away I'll gladly take it :monkey3

I do wish the orange was more of a red.

wlyv6u.jpg

But I still love it!!!!!!!

IMG_5676.JPG

:lecture "This is the last time I eat Cheetos before going trick-or-treating! At least I didn't get any on my mask."

:drink

We can clearly see that the proto has close to zero orange from the waist up, including his left bicep and right forearm. His lower mask is black as well. That's the way way he should have been painted, the glow effect would have been just right.
In fact - The overdone orange on the helmet part doesnt even make sense, as the dome 'faces' upward, and if anything, the inner part of the dome should reflect the lava, not it's top.

We can clearly see that the proto has close to zero orange from the waist up, including his left bicep and right forearm. His lower mask is black as well. That's the way way he should have been painted, the glow effect would have been just right.
In fact - The overdone orange on the helmet part doesnt even make sense, as the dome 'faces' upward, and if anything, the inner part of the dome should reflect the lava, not it's top.

The lighting is VERY different between those two pieces. Notice how in the lower piece it looks like he has white on his legs! :O

The orange might be disguised in darkness in the first pic, and exaggerated by a bad flash in the second.

The lighting is VERY different between those two pieces. Notice how in the lower piece it looks like he has white on his legs! :O

The orange might be disguised in darkness in the first pic, and exaggerated by a bad flash in the second.

You are probably correct - Looked at some SDCC video, and assuming they've used a proto piece in their SDCC booth, it looks same as the in-hand pics. It's a shame though, should have been more subtle. I really want to love this piece, and will probably get it in a few weeks, but will look for someone to repaint it.
Again, I'm assuming they did not use a production piece in this video:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIOcH-2dGx8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIOcH-2dGx8[/ame]

I really want to love this piece, and will probably get it in a few weeks, but will look for someone to repaint it.

:lecture This is what I would do if I had this piece.

I like the pose and the details, but I would rather see paint that would complement the worn look of his cape. Some weathering effects, if you will, and I would tell the painter absolutely zero orange when you're done.

If you decide to go through with it, please do post some pics after the repaint.

Got this one yesterday and he looks awesome!!. No flaws (including NO shiney head) on my statue and it was one of the last. Number 2434.

You know, the point of the Mythos line is NOT to give us the iconic image of each character.

It's to create something different.

The orange does not make for the iconic Vader. It was never supposed to. It's to tell a story. The orange tells a story.

Very true. This is a "you like it or not" case there is no middle solution. That goes for the whole Mythos line.

Mythos line is not for everyone. It appeals only to several people who are desperate for something different and fresh. Something really artistic and of course fully sculpted. So you can't really blame "mythos" if you don't like it. It's just a matter of taste and imagination.

I am extremely worried about mine. It is the most expensive collectible I have purchased so far (it cost me around 420$ since I live in Poland), so as you can guess I expect nothing less than perfection. Especially that the price tag on this is ridiculous to begin with. I really don't like SS pricing policy. It's all about ripping customers off. Compare some of the older stuff they have released. It was much cheaper. For example Fall of the Empire diorama which was limited to 750 pieces only cost 250$.
My experience with SS so far wasn't very good. The very first thing I have purchased was clone lieutenant 1/6 figure. I was not pleased with it's quality. It felt kind of cheap. Edges were poorly finished and you could even see spikes on parts that were cut out of frame they were molded in.
It's a real shame. Kotobukiya statues are way better, even though all the newer ones (like artfx+ commander cody) are made of multiple pieces. For example knee pads are totally separate pieces. And every single piece is neatly finished.
Then I have purchased Chogokin C-3PO (not sure how much involvement SS had in this fig), but I was unlucky enough to get unit with few blemishes on the gold coating. One was as big as 0,5cm and as such should never leave a factory in this state.

So if SS fails to deliver perfection with this statue, I am simply going to send it back and I will never buy any of their products.
Still, I am optimistic, since this statue is just amazing. One of a kind, and I dare to say we most likely won't see anything like that in the future.

Last edited:

its the same problem with all statues IMO. there is no standard. they have god knows how many painters just rushing along doing whatever to pump these out.

That's exactly the problem. Those statues could be considered works of art if they weren't rushed in a factory by team of low paid chinesee painters. Not that I have anything against chinesee painters, but the thing is such items require time and precision. And how much time do you think they have? In a factory? Each day they produce loads of items, and they cannot spend too much time on every single statue.

Got mine today and I'm very happy with it. The only thing that irritates me is, as in the shot above, the heads don't look straight at the helmet. The Hayden head is a little better. Shaw's is just totally looking to the right of it.

Looking at other photos I don't think it would get any better if I swapped it out. I may think about reshaping the magnet square to turn it back to the left 10 degrees or so.

Anyone tried that?

That's exactly the problem. Those statues could be considered works of art if they weren't rushed in a factory by team of low paid chinesee painters. Not that I have anything against chinesee painters, but the thing is such items require time and precision. And how much time do you think they have? In a factory? Each day they produce loads of items, and they cannot spend too much time on every single statue.

Totally agree with you, it's the reason I try to find low quantity items by SSC - they seem to put more time into them. These mass produced item's just do not seem to hold the prototype quality a lot of the time. I'm still worried about my Batman PF in this regard, since the reg. is like 5000 count and Ex. is 1500 I believe. I also have a tendency to go with mixed media over a completely painted piece as it helps to minimize the amount of painted detail that needs to happen over a smaller area vs. larger area. I'm boycotting the Mythos line though, this my 2nd return from it sadly enough. Grats to those who love their Vader's though, I think the sculpt is amazing - paint killed it for me. If I change my mind down the line, I don't suspect these will be hard to find in the aftermarket.

Back