Darkseid Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wholeheartedly agree...every company is going to have defective products. What separates the good from average companies is how quickly they assist the customer and resolve the situation.

Well, some companies do put more effort into their QC to prevent massive issues. SSC tends to be all over the place in the QC department. One piece will turn out great for most of us (Keaton Bats for example) and some will have rampant issues (WW and CW for recent examples).

Well I feel confident about Darkseid because there's nothing fragile on him and he doesn't have detailed eyes that can go wonky. I can't see how that can screw this one up! haha

Nothing fragile? The entire piece is eggshell hollow. At the very minimum we have to possibly worry about this PF arriving with cracks in it. Take a look at the Rhino COM thread. That was an eggshell statue that many peeps received with cracks throughout the body. I hope the same doesn't happen with Darkseid. Also, paint apps can be screwed up on even the most simple of pieces. SSC has proved that. However, I refuse to be a doom and gloom guy. I have been very fortunate with my SSC orders. Hopefully, my lucky streak will continue with Darkseid. I'd like nothing more than for this PF to be great across the board. This way, all of us will be able to enjoy the PF.

I really wanted to pick this up. But from owning Gladiator Hulk and Apocalypse I must say I am shocked. That equates to around $950.00 with shipping for me in Aus !! WTF?! I wanted to put this with the Trinity, but there is no way I can do that now. No matter what his height is quoted at in the comics, if they charge $600 US, then it should be as big as Gladiator Hulk & Apoc. I just don't get it. Thats not even taking into account the mixed media detail Hulk has, which is awesome. I know I'm probably reiterating what everyone else is saying, but feel more people need to voice to SS, that we aren't buying it based on price alone.

I don't care how awesome a character Darkseid is, this price is just plain stupid. I bought Galactus Maq for this same price and even if older, it stands at 33" which simply dwarfs this.

They should be careful though, because if their pricing does catch up with companies like XM, then they will start being on the losing end of a battle. One of the main reason I stick with SS is because of their price point, but this statue has taken it too a concerning new level.

I really wanted to pick this up. But from owning Gladiator Hulk and Apocalypse I must say I am shocked. That equates to around $950.00 with shipping for me in Aus !! WTF?! I wanted to put this with the Trinity, but there is no way I can do that now. No matter what his height is quoted at in the comics, if they charge $600 US, then it should be as big as Gladiator Hulk & Apoc. I just don't get it. Thats not even taking into account the mixed media detail Hulk has, which is awesome. I know I'm probably reiterating what everyone else is saying, but feel more people need to voice to SS, that we aren't buying it based on price alone.

I don't care how awesome a character Darkseid is, this price is just plain stupid. I bought Galactus Maq for this same price and even if older, it stands at 33" which simply dwarfs this.

They should be careful though, because if their pricing does catch up with companies like XM, then they will start being on the losing end of a battle. One of the main reason I stick with SS is because of their price point, but this statue has taken it too a concerning new level.

Everything said here ^^^^^I completely agree with.
I too almost bought Galactus once, wish I did. I would like to find one someday when I have a spare $1000 to throw around haha.

Don't know what the fuss is all about, I PO'd him without hesitation he looks fantastic and his scale is very very REALISTIC in comparison to superman and not exaggerated.

I think many people will be surprised when they see him in person and will scatter to try and get one. So I hope his a small ES and that he is all sold out by then :)

I think allot of people were looking for a 1/2 scale statue for a 1/4 scale price.

He turned out awesome and will be very impressive in person. Oh and the EX head absolutely ROCKS!!!

As for his price, a PF now is $430 so another $170 for a large PF such as this is not unrealistic.

??? paying another $170 for a large PF is realistic?! You must be made of money. First, $200(not $170)is a good chunk of change....to me at least. Second, this isnt a large PF in comparison to the normal $399 PF's. In comparison to apocalypse(another $599 piece), Darkseid is small. Do you think Batman or Superman PF's are large compared to Wonder Woman,Joker, or Green Lantern? Thats the same size difference between Darkseid and Superman. I have no problem with the sculpt, it does rock. Id definitely buy this....if it were $399-$450. Seems like SS tacked on another $200 because its Darkseid, and he is 'supposed'to be huge in comparison. They just didnt make him huge enough to justify a 50% increase.....not even close.

Ha ha, no not made of money at all, I'm simply a casual collector 1-2 PF's a year and sometimes non at all. I have been collecting for 6 years now and only have 7 PF's. That's how I'm able to afford DS.

Like I said I think people will be blown away when he is seen in person.

??? paying another $170 for a large PF is realistic?! You must be made of money. First, $200(not $170)is a good chunk of change....to me at least. Second, this isnt a large PF in comparison to the normal $399 PF's. In comparison to apocalypse(another $599 piece), Darkseid is small. Do you think Batman or Superman PF's are large compared to Wonder Woman,Joker, or Green Lantern? Thats the same size difference between Darkseid and Superman. I have no problem with the sculpt, it does rock. Id definitely buy this....if it were $399-$450. Seems like SS tacked on another $200 because its Darkseid, and he is 'supposed'to be huge in comparison. They just didnt make him huge enough to justify a 50% increase.....not even close.

Well, some companies do put more effort into their QC to prevent massive issues. SSC tends to be all over the place in the QC department. One piece will turn out great for most of us (Keaton Bats for example) and some will have rampant issues (WW and CW for recent examples).

I hear what you are saying...and please do not think I am attacking you. I have to ask how are you defining "massive" or "rampant" QC issues? Are you basing that assertion on your personal experiences, is the assertion based on the number of complaints posted in forums, or is it based on a percentage of (# of customers with QC Issues / # of customers who actually purchased that product)? I have spent time reading the complaints posted in the forum about WW and CW. Simply based on the complaints posted in the forums one could be led to believe 2 out of every 3 WW or CW PFs has defects. But in reality...what if the overall percentage of customers with QC Issues / number of total customers who purchased that product was barely .05% or even 1%? Would everyone still believe that QC issues at SS were massive or rampant?

Look...for all I know...the amount of defective products per item sold from SS is 30% or even 50%. Maybe SS really does have a significant issues in regards to QC. But the problem is we do not have sufficient information to make an informed decision. SS has thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of customers world wide. You have to wonder if the negative QC experiences shared by forum members are representative of the majority of SS customers? It goes back to my question of whether these QC issues are systemic or isolated. In lieu of sufficient information, as Josh mentioned earlier, all we are left with conjecture and assumption. If you spend a lot time on the forums, I believe folks become vulnerable to adopting a "mob mentality". If enough people vocally and repeatedly complain about an issue, people have a tendency to begin to not only believe that issue exists, but that it exists on wide scale level. They believe this despite the fact they lack any evidence to sufficiently support their assertions.

Personally...I believe people are more vocal about the QC issues because SS keeps increasing their prices. I am inclined to believe it's a price issue as much as it is a QC issue. As prices go up, expectations go up, and not meeting expectations leads to a very negative and vocal response. Price increases mean that some collectors have to scale back or even stop collecting all together...and that leads to some very unhappy collectors.

This picture (graciously obtained form the other forum) to me shows a more accurate comparison as to how much bigger DS is in relation to Superman.

This to me shows how epically awesome a brawl between those two would be. And it also shows how cool of a companion piece this is next to Superman.

DS is sheer mass and they have done a good job depicting that I think.

11093389_1431146757181522_846898367_n.jpg

This picture (graciously obtained form the other forum) to me shows a more accurate comparison as to how much bigger DS is in relation to Superman.

This to me shows how epically awesome a brawl between those two would be. And it also shows how cool of a companion piece this is next to Superman.

DS is sheer mass and they have done a good job depicting that I think.

View attachment 179070

Um, just with ur comparison pic, you can tell Darkseid is grossly overpriced....Supes $400, Darkseid $600...how does that make sense? If you go off of the scale, $500 would be more like it. And Darkseid is still smaller in mass than Hulk or GHulk so at $500, it would be perfect. Also, the whole SSC is dictating price on character popularity just doesn't work...I don't think Darkseid is as popular as Hulk.

Come SDCC allot of people will change there minds about the piece.

I think collectors are being very hard on a piece they haven't even seen yet. After 6 years collecting I know Pictures don't do this things justice.

Yes...He is bigger. Nobody is arguing that. I think he is a good size and it would look great displayed with Superman. The argument is that his size in comparison to all the normal PF's does not justify a 50% increase in price. He is not that much more massive than Superman...which is fine....if he were priced at $450. Im looking at my Batman and Joker PF now. Batman was $399 and Joker was $349. Batman is 20 inches from heel to ear and Joker is 18.5 inches from heel to top of hair(with bases it is 25 to 23 respectively). Joker is so much thinner than Batman as well. Between the 2 is a $50 difference, and that was due to the overall PF increase. Batman and Joker have more of a mass/height difference than Superman and Darkseid but yet Darkseid is $200 more. That makes absolutely no sense to me as a collector. Sure, Sideshow can price their product however they want, and that appears to be what they are doing. That now makes me think a lot more of what I want to buy, which ultimately means a lot less money that I will be giving to SS.

You know things are not right when people feel compelled to bring subjectivity into objective matters, like measures. A friend of mine did the same to justify his Oglavaeil purchase, like, "I think he is bigger than what we expect now"... yeah, because I totally need to see something in person to have a good idea of how tall/large/deep is 50/60/70cms...

I think being very picky as to what you want to buy is how collecting should be and very smart. It allows enjoying the hobby longer and with less stress.

As I gathered the argument was that he was too small in size and too expensive in price. At list I 'm glad to hear you say that he is sized well in comparison to superman. As for the price well I guess that has to do with peoples budgets and that will very from person to person.

In my case, he's my only PO with SS at the moment so I can afford the price.

Yes...He is bigger. Nobody is arguing that. I think he is a good size and it would look great displayed with Superman. The argument is that his size in comparison to all the normal PF's does not justify a 50% increase in price. He is not that much more massive than Superman...which is fine....if he were priced at $450. Im looking at my Batman and Joker PF now. Batman was $399 and Joker was $349. Batman is 20 inches from heel to ear and Joker is 18.5 inches from heel to top of hair(with bases it is 25 to 23 respectively). Joker is so much thinner than Batman as well. Between the 2 is a $50 difference, and that was due to the overall PF increase. Batman and Joker have more of a mass/height difference than Superman and Darkseid but yet Darkseid is $200 more. That makes absolutely no sense to me as a collector. Sure, Sideshow can price their product however they want, and that appears to be what they are doing. That now makes me think a lot more of what I want to buy, which ultimately means a lot less money that I will be giving to SS.

You know things are not right when people feel compelled to bring subjectivity into objective matters, like measures. A friend of mine did the same to justify his Oglavaeil purchase, like, "I think he is bigger than what we expect now"... yeah, because I totally need to see something in person to have a good idea of how tall/large/deep is 50/60/70cms...

When DS went up for PO the first thing I did was check the dimensions SS provided. Than I compered it to my Superman PF with my tape, then I visualized him next to supes and was very pleased so I ordered him.

That's the approach I had with the 7 PF's in my collection and it has not failed me yet.

I do come from an artistic background so the visualization part is easy for me and is usually bang on.

I hear what you are saying...and please do not think I am attacking you. I have to ask how are you defining "massive" or "rampant" QC issues? Are you basing that assertion on your personal experiences, is the assertion based on the number of complaints posted in forums, or is it based on a percentage of (# of customers with QC Issues / # of customers who actually purchased that product)? I have spent time reading the complaints posted in the forum about WW and CW. Simply based on the complaints posted in the forums one could be led to believe 2 out of every 3 WW or CW PFs has defects. But in reality...what if the overall percentage of customers with QC Issues / number of total customers who purchased that product was barely .05% or even 1%? Would everyone still believe that QC issues at SS were massive or rampant?

Look...for all I know...the amount of defective products per item sold from SS is 30% or even 50%. Maybe SS really does have a significant issues in regards to QC. But the problem is we do not have sufficient information to make an informed decision. SS has thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of customers world wide. You have to wonder if the negative QC experiences shared by forum members are representative of the majority of SS customers? It goes back to my question of whether these QC issues are systemic or isolated. In lieu of sufficient information, as Josh mentioned earlier, all we are left with conjecture and assumption. If you spend a lot time on the forums, I believe folks become vulnerable to adopting a "mob mentality". If enough people vocally and repeatedly complain about an issue, people have a tendency to begin to not only believe that issue exists, but that it exists on wide scale level. They believe this despite the fact they lack any evidence to sufficiently support their assertions.

Personally...I believe people are more vocal about the QC issues because SS keeps increasing their prices. I am inclined to believe it's a price issue as much as it is a QC issue. As prices go up, expectations go up, and not meeting expectations leads to a very negative and vocal response. Price increases mean that some collectors have to scale back or even stop collecting all together...and that leads to some very unhappy collectors.

You can say that all of us complaining about QC issues are very few. Which could be true. Could not be as well. The last several pieces I've received I've had issues with. I had to have bats cape and short eared head replaced. Once I got those, I had to replace the long eared head because it didn't fit in the head slot. Those are QC issues. Depending on who you get to contact for these issues at SS. You will sometimes get offered a credit or you can return. Because as a buyer, I'm overly demanding for wanting a product that I can display all the parts on. It's like saying buying a PS4 for $400, I can't expect to be able to play all the games for it. Because there are variances in manufacturing the product. There may not be rampant issues, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues. I've been lucky enough for the longest time to get flawless pieces. But lately, every piece I've received I've had to contact and either accept as is, because no replacements, or return for a refund. Because SS won't replace the whole piece, due to not having one that's any better. Meaning, we can but you may get one with more issues and they won't replace then.

For me, this price has been used on statues around 30 inches tall. Apocalypse and Gladiator Hulk. Lobo is 28 inches, and still under $600. DS is 1/2 an inch taller than Supes. He may be wider. We're used to paying $600 for these very large pieces. Hulk will dwarf DS. This $200 up charge, what is is based off? Difficulty in the cast? Cost of Materials? Shipping difficulty? Size of the piece? If Aquaman is standing 28 inches with his trident, will he cost $600 too? Like I've said, I expected $600. I also expected a very simple low base and DS standing taller than Supes. Vader is 26.5 inches tall, and 16 inches wide, weighs 5 more pounds, with a light up feature, and running $500. I would think adding lights to a piece is fairly difficult, Shouldn't Vader be $700? That's thing for me, there seems to be no standard to the pricing. SS could have asked $700 for DS, and we'd still be having these discussions.

When DS went up for PO the first thing I did was check the dimensions SS provided. Than I compered it to my Superman PF with my tape, then I visualized him next to supes and was very pleased so I ordered him.

That's the approach I had with the 7 PF's in my collection and it has not failed me yet.

I do come from an artistic background so the visualization part is easy for me and is usually bang on.

At the same time, he is WAY smaller than what DC says Darkseid's height is. Take it for what you will...

I don't think you (or anybody else) have to justify the purchase - if it's good to you, that's all you need, really.
I'm just pointing out that there's not much left to imagination here, he is a tad bulkier than Superman and nowhere near the size he should be by DC official measures. For someone this is an issue, for others it's not, regardless of that I think him being 50% more expensive than Superman is utter madness, but I see your point about collecting very few pieces (I do, more or less, the same, so I know what it means to see a piece and think "ok, that may be a tad overpriced, but I buy so few pieces that I can afford it").

If you look at the overall Dimenzions of the piece I get what Sharp is saying. Darksied is 14" wide, that's without the benefit of swirling cap that makes superman a wider statue. He's 20" deep and yes 26" high. Half of you are comparing him to Gladiator Hulk because of the price point, which isn't off but at the same time If you'd take DarkSeid down to $500 then Lobo is also WAY over priced. Because if you look at the overall dimensions he's nearly Identical, and maybe bit thinner in girth than Darkseid. Sure he's 28" tall, abut 2.5 inches of that is gun and another inch and half is base. What you're left with is 22" tall figure. Which I imagine is about where Darkseid will sit when measured.

So while we can say that Darkseid shouldn't be $600 all we want, then everyone needs to go say that Lobo shouldn't be $580 and And hell, Apacalypse shouldn't be $600 either because a lot of the height he came with was a rasied canon or chainsaw.

People still paid it for Apocalypse though and people still ordered Lobo at $580, so people will order Darkseid at $600. Just saying.

Back