Darkseid Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so. I'd like an ES even lower than the GL PF. The lowest ES of any of the DC pieces would be great IMO. At least this way I won't feel like I just pissed away $600 if the ES is super low. Whenever I spend that much on a PF, I'd at least like for it to retain its value.

Sinestro had the lowest es.

Have you ever considered that the Sideshow's "QC hassles" only impact a small percentage of their customer base? The folks that routinely frequent forums like this are the "super collectors". We purchase multiple collectibles annually and spend a good chunk of our disposable income on collectibles. We also spend months analyzing and critiquing prototype and Work in Process pics. And when a product does come out, we relentlessly point out every perceived defect, issue and problem.

I have a couple of friends who are "casual collectors". They may purchase 1-3 pieces of year...mostly from our local comic shop. When they are considering purchasing a piece (like the WW PF) I occasionally share some of the concerns voiced on the forum regarding the PF in question. What's interesting is that many of the "QC Issues" we spend pages whining and complaining about...don't seem to be an issue to the more casual collector. One friends commented "you guys nitpick stuff that really wouldn't bother me in the least". That got me thinking....it's easy to assume that many of the issues identified on the boards are embraced by the majority of collectors and/or Sideshow's customer base. Maybe the reason SS does not "address these QC issues" or keeps raising prices with impunity is because only a small percentage of their customer base is actually unhappy with their business practices. Think about it...if the majority of SS customers were unhappy with the QC issues they would be forced to implement changes or lose business. The question becomes are the QC issues we identify systemic issues...or are they within an acceptable tolerance of defects for any given manufacturer?

To be perfectly clear...I realize that many of you have experienced legitimate QC issues with some of your SS purchases. I am not trying to dismiss your concerns. However, there seems to be an endless supply of posts from folks wondering "how does SS justify increasing their prices given their QC issues"? Perhaps they feel justified raising their prices because the majority of customers are not complaining about QC issues?? What about those collectors that do vigorously complain about QC issues, routinely threaten to stop buying SS products, yet currently have 4-6 pre-orders listed under their signatures? After all, how bad can the QC issues be if the majority of the so called "super collectors" are not willing to make a statement with their wallets??

I don't completely agree with this. I don't want to purchase something from any company knowing that the materials they've used are so brittle enough that it turns out broken or damaged upon arrival or they've painted the eyes on backwards, or they had the painters in the mass producing warehouses did rush jobs that we end up getting splotches and sloppy paint jobs, or they don't dust off the model before painting. That's a problem or risk with larger edition sizes. Slight errors or discrepancies are a given with any product but to the point that some here and I would assume others around the world have it just so bad considering the price of these items. I can't blame people for having multiple pre-orders with them still as their statues are very good and the chance of actually getting a good one for some is still enough to risk holding out for the order. I would probably be the same. I think Sideshow know this from people too.

Maybe they need to get more of a workforce to handle the larger edition sizes? I don't know many people are making these things but having more workers would take the strain off but more workers requires more money which means the the price of statues would increase again to compensate. Why they are increase prices now when they can't guarantee each statue shipped out is of a suitable standard should be fixed asap.

Can't understand this talk about the size, being bigger than what people think.
Just take a measuring tape and check the dimensions, that's how big he's going to be. Do it while you're near to Superman PF or Batman PF and you'll get an idea of how big he is in relation to them. Measures aren't relative, they're quite set in stone.

Think this is going to be a bigger statue than what people think it is

Based on what? This was posted on another board.

11093389_1431146757181522_846898367_n.jpg

I consider myself to be a "casual collector". Maybe a step above. I get about 2-3 SS pieces per year. So far I have gotten 10 Sideshow Premium Format pieces. In regards to the comment about many of these points on quality control not being issues to casual collectors, I find this to be a stretch. Sure, there are some comments and complaints I read that are ridiculous, but majority are very valid. Of the 10 figures I have purchased I had 3 that I had to exchange. That is 30% of my purchases that were not satisfactory, and that is quite abysmal. Yes, the issues were resolved, but this last issue with Wonder Woman I had to battle with SS to get what I paid for. I had to battle with them because I didn't want the $75 credit that was offered becuase I wanted an acceptable product instead. The issues I had range from broken cape, googly eyes, and inch long gash on the shoulder of Wonder Woman.....no 'casual collector' would find these issues as something to just ignore or overlook. Issue like this are not a rarity and they are not issues that would be brushed off by majority of the collectors. So based on this track record, you bet that I'm nervous whenever I get my shipment.

I don't completely agree with this. I don't want to purchase something from any company knowing that the materials they've used are so brittle enough that it turns out broken or damaged upon arrival or they've painted the eyes on backwards, or they had the painters in the mass producing warehouses did rush jobs that we end up getting splotches and sloppy paint jobs, or they don't dust off the model before painting. That's a problem or risk with larger edition sizes. Slight errors or discrepancies are a given with any product but to the point that some here and I would assume others around the world have it just so bad considering the price of these items. I can't blame people for having multiple pre-orders with them still as their statues are very good and the chance of actually getting a good one for some is still enough to risk holding out for the order. I would probably be the same. I think Sideshow know this from people too.

Maybe they need to get more of a workforce to handle the larger edition sizes? I don't know many people are making these things but having more workers would take the strain off but more workers requires more money which means the the price of statues would increase again to compensate. Why they are increase prices now when they can't guarantee each statue shipped out is of a suitable standard should be fixed asap.

First of all...I agree with many of the points you have raised about the mass production of products. I do believe that the rise in complaints regarding QC concerns is the by product of the large edition size.

You "assume" others around the world have the concerns regarding the QC of Sideshow's products. I think that is a fair statement. But...do you happen to know what percentage of Sideshow's customer base those customers with issues represent?? Do those customers with issue represent 2% of Sideshow's total customers? Do they represent 10%, 30% or even 70% of Sideshow's customers? I don't know...nobody knows... and here lies the problem.

Forum members read post after post talking about all of these chronic issues regarding Sideshow's quality control. That leads to some forum members believing that every Sideshow customer, or perhaps the majority of Sideshow customers, are experiencing these rampant QC issues. Notice I am not saying individuals have not encountered multiple QC issues with Sideshow... I believe we should all be cautious about making the assumption Sideshow's QC issues are systemic without having any information to support that assertion. IMHO the question is this...if the QC issues are systemic...in other words if the QC issues are negatively impacting the majority of Sideshow's customer base...how can they continue to raise prices and still stay in business???

How does SS continue to secure additional product licenses, continue to increase the amount of product lines produced, how does SS continue to conduct business in a less than ideal economy if their QC control issues are rampant?? You asked earlier how SS can they increase prices when they cannot guarantee each statue that is shipped out is of suitable standard. How do we know that the percentage of defective product is not within a range SS deems acceptable? How do we know that SS is not producing their product within a tolerance level that any assembly line manufacturer would not consider acceptable?? No manufacturer is going to produce 100% error free product....we know that is impossible.

I am not apologizing or defending Sideshow. By nature, I like to play Devil's advocate and try to understand all sides of a discussion. That is why I am questioning whether these QC issues are truly systemic issues that negatively impact the majority of Sideshow customer base?? Or are they issues that impact a small, but very vocal, percentage customers?

No, not all businesses can guarantee 100% working products. But these aren't cheap $30-$80 electronic products or kitchenware etc. These are $400-$800+ statues, physical art pieces. What they produce and for the price they put them out for doesn't allow them the luxury of a "suitable margin of acceptable faults". If you're dealing with peoples hard earned money is such large amounts, they need to ensure they can keep up the quality of their product with the demand.

I don't know about you guys but I can't afford to be spending so much on these things just to get a sub-par product. I only buy 1 or 2 statues a year if that. I'm not loaded with cash so if I do ever get a statue that's just simply a bad egg, I get more out of pocket having the ship the thing back from Australia for a chance of a replacement and so and and so forth.

I love Sideshows work, I do and I really want to have that good, safe feeling of when I complete an order that I know I'm going to be able to look forward to a beautiful intact statue all year, rather than hoping for the best for 8-12 months. What if you don't buy directly through Sideshow and you buy from a local store? There's not always the chance of being able to return it for a better one, then you're just screwed unless Sideshow will help you out.

I'm sorry, but I find the fact that we even have to talk about these QC issues is bad enough as it is without having the justify it at all. If these statues were $99 cheap jobs that you get with video game pre-orders then you get what you pay for. But they're not. They're premium art pieces. They should be treated as such.

Getting back to this Darkseid figure, shipping March-April 2016? Might give me more time to save a little extra money in order to grab one. I actually really love this piece and would be happy with a REG. Maybe the price might go down by then?

No, not all businesses can guarantee 100% working products. But these aren't cheap $30-$80 electronic products or kitchenware etc. These are $400-$800+ statues, physical art pieces. What they produce and for the price they put them out for doesn't allow them the luxury of a "suitable margin of acceptable faults". If you're dealing with peoples hard earned money is such large amounts, they need to ensure they can keep up the quality of their product with the demand.

In the real world every single manufacturer produces their products with an understanding that a certain percentage of their finished goods are defective. I don't care if you are talking about Sony, Apple, BMW, Mercedes, Samsung...every single assembly line manufacturer is going to to produce a percentage of defective products. Spending your hard earned money on a product does not guarantee perfection....I really wish it did.

At the end of the day Sideshow's QC issues can't be that bad... I mean after all...you are considering saving up some of your hard earned money to purchase Darkseid...right? :wink1:

As one collector to another I hope you do not have any issues with your next SS purchase.

In the real world every single manufacturer produces their products with an understanding that a certain percentage of their finished goods are defective. I don't care if you are talking about Sony, Apple, BMW, Mercedes, Samsung...every single assembly line manufacturer is going to to produce a percentage of defective products. Spending your hard earned money on a product does not guarantee perfection....I really wish it did.

At the end of the day Sideshow's QC issues can't be that bad... I mean after all...you are considering saving up some of your hard earned money to purchase Darkseid...right? :wink1:

As one collector to another I hope you do not have any issues with your next SS purchase.

Except, said companies (not so sure about Samsung) will make sure you are happy with their products and will make things right if a defect is present. The whole "we ran out of replacements" wording does not apply. And they happen to be the best at what they do. My two cents anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about you guys but I can't afford to be spending so much on these things just to get a sub-par product. I only buy 1 or 2 statues a year if that. I'm not loaded with cash so if I do ever get a statue that's just simply a bad egg, I get more out of pocket having the ship the thing back from Australia for a chance of a replacement and so and and so forth.

I love Sideshows work, I do and I really want to have that good, safe feeling of when I complete an order that I know I'm going to be able to look forward to a beautiful intact statue all year, rather than hoping for the best for 8-12 months. What if you don't buy directly through Sideshow and you buy from a local store? There's not always the chance of being able to return it for a better one, then you're just screwed unless Sideshow will help you out.

I'm sorry, but I find the fact that we even have to talk about these QC issues is bad enough as it is without having the justify it at all. If these statues were $99 cheap jobs that you get with video game pre-orders then you get what you pay for. But they're not. They're premium art pieces. They should be treated as such.

Getting back to this Darkseid figure, shipping March-April 2016? Might give me more time to save a little extra money in order to grab one. I actually really love this piece and would be happy with a REG. Maybe the price might go down by then?
Yes but price isn't going to cgange that factory made items have issues. $40,000 factory made vehicles have issues, $4,000 pieces of electronics have issues, so $400 statues will proabably have issues. As for what Trayloc said, he's correct, have no idea about the percentages. All we know is there's some people that have those issues on this forum and they speak about them. After that its all assumption and conjecture.

Well I feel confident about Darkseid because there's nothing fragile on him and he doesn't have detailed eyes that can go wonky. I can't see how that can screw this one up! haha

Well I feel confident about Darkseid because there's nothing fragile on him and he doesn't have detailed eyes that can go wonky. I can't see how that can screw this one up! haha

Apocalypse is a very similar sculpt and that one had major issues with the EX, not so much with the reg. You never know with SS. I've cut down my POs from SS but do still turn to their Predator line as there really isn't much options for a 1/4 Predator. Figure I wanna see the P2 and Machiko in hand and hope it turns out well than deal with the secondary market. If it comes out poorly, I'll just return it. If the majority of them come out stellar, I'll suck it up and get it from the secondary markets.

Except, said companies (not so sure about Samsung) will make sure you are happy with their products and will make things right if a defect is present. The whole "we ran out of replacements" wording does not apply. And they happen to be the best at what they do. My two cents anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wholeheartedly agree...every company is going to have defective products. What separates the good from average companies is how quickly they assist the customer and resolve the situation.

Back