Damn You HD-DVD and Your Siren Call

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, now Wook. Blu-Ray still has them beat in terms of selection ... for now. And, I like to look on the bright side of things ... no one ever rents HD-DVD titles at my Blockbuster. I can rent them online and exchange out at the store for HD-DVD titles. It will be like my own personal HD-DVD library for 24 dollars a month...

Actually Blockbuster doesn't offer HD-DVD titles in their online rental program, only Blu-Ray. For that matter, I'm shocked your local Blockbuster store even carries any HD-DVD's as they've all but abandoned that camp to support Blu-Ray. :confused:

Netflix has a great selection of HD-DVD titles but of course the in-store-swap capability is not an option. What a catch 22!

Well, Sony is going to be coming out with a 27" OLED TV probably sometime next year, and those can display 4x the resolution of HD, and they are around 10mm thick, and they've got a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

Yeah...it will only cost about $50,000...:lol

call me crazy but i prefer the selection of HD DVD over Blu Ray movies any day of the week. and i can always import those "exlcusive" blu ray movies that i have to have.

Actually Blockbuster doesn't offer HD-DVD titles in their online rental program, only Blu-Ray. For that matter, I'm shocked your local Blockbuster store even carries any HD-DVD's as they've all but abandoned that camp to support Blu-Ray. :confused:

Netflix has a great selection of HD-DVD titles but of course the in-store-swap capability is not an option. What a catch 22!

Blockbuster does have HD DVD on there on-line service, I've rented over a dozen already. They only carry them in a select few stores and will only be carring Blu-ray from now on, but for how long will be determined.

Blockbuster does have HD DVD on there on-line service, I've rented over a dozen already. They only carry them in a select few stores and will only be carring Blu-ray from now on, but for how long will be determined.

They do? Do you have a link to their online selection? I just tried searching their site and can't find any for the life of me. I tried them out for 2 weeks but cancelled because all I could find was Blu-Ray, I assumed they didn't carry HD-DVD.

figured I would check out the HD-DVD

knight.jpg

You chose poorly!

Last edited:
They do? Do you have a link to their online selection? I just tried searching their site and can't find any for the life of me. I tried them out for 2 weeks but cancelled because all I could find was Blu-Ray, I assumed they didn't carry HD-DVD.

Here you go - You have to go under collections then HD DVD to find them or find a movie you know is also HD DVD and look under the editions tab.

https://www.blockbuster.com/browse/collections/hdDvdPackage

hey, where do you import from? do you get good deals?

i've only bought a couple imported movies. and it depends on what you define as a good deal. i bought the T2 import which is supposed to be a blu ray exclusive so it was worth the price to me. i also bought underworld from this site. they were very quick and had pretty decent customer service.
https://www.hdmoviesource.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=60_81

this is where i get most of my information for reviews, release dates, import dates, they also have forums that have classifieds where you can find some good deals (i picked up a second 360 add on for $130 shipped--- dont forget you can use it on your pc with the correct drivers!!!)
https://www.highdefdigest.com/

Just wait until you have to re-buy all those movies again as Special Editions in a few years. That's why I'm sitting this format war out. I'll let the rest of you suckas choose the format for me while I save some dough for the good stuff.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Words of Wisdom spoken right there! I agree 100% No need going out and getting all these movies when there is still a format war going on and no winner yet.

Where did you hear this?

Not sure if it's a rumor or not, but a friend of mine manages a BB that's up the street from me. I asked if that store would be one of the ones getting Blu-rays to rent in store, and he said that they hadn't received any notice, but that Blu-rays would be easier to get online soon, because they would have more copies. So I said that it sounds like good news, but why aren't they getting more copies to rent online soon? He said that he heard from higher ups that BB will no longer be offering HD DVD's online starting in December.

So, not official, but I thought it was interesting and that i'd point it out.

I like Netflix, use to be a member. But I like that you can swap out your returns at a BB store for movies there, then while they mail those back for you, you can watch the movies that you just swapped out at the store (for free). Then, by the time you watch those, you already have new envelopes in the mailbox. Sweet deal if you ask me.

A friend of mine confirmed that BB will be changing the policy about being able to exchange in-store soon. I was thinking of trying out BB until I read in their new policy that they'll be changing the ability to exchange in-store.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Words of Wisdom spoken right there! I agree 100% No need going out and getting all these movies when there is still a format war going on and no winner yet.

No need, unless you, you know, actually want to watch movies now in HD, which you can't do as long as you sit out the war. And if that's what you want to do, that's fine, but I don't see how that makes people who don't want to wait "suckas".

Back