Damaged Box - Affects the Value?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW177

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering what you guys thought about damaged boxes on Hot Toys figures; boxes w/ bents, or dings, bends, creases, etc. Sometimes this happens in transit, as that brown shipper box is not really that strong to hold up to damages. Do these things affect the value of the figure? I am very picky when it comes to these things and when I see a ding or dent I don't really like to buy it, but due to the nature of the availability of Hot Toys, I sometimes have no choice.

What do you think? Am I the only one who feels this way? :slap

The damaged boxes affect the "resell value" of the boxed set, but personally, it doesn't matter to me. You will take out the figure anyway, and put the box away - unless you are that nitpicky that you display the empty box along with the figure.

I have bought countless figures with damaged or no box at all, and I save quite an amount over buying one with a flawless box, etc. You don't control the handling of the Hot Toys boxed set when shipped to you, so there is a risk of the box getting damaged and if you have high standards, it will disappoint you if ever the box gets dinged, dented or creased a little.

To each his own though. :)

Most places pack these things pretty well - the only time I had a box arrive on my doorstep damaged it was thanks to customs not knowing how to open the flaps. It bothered me enough for a few days that I half contemplated buying a parted out mint one. Then I came to my senses and forgot about it.

OCD and worrying about resale value can kill the joy of this hobby if you let it. It's only a damned box. If you don't display the box, who cares?

My boxes go straight into the loft but I do like to see a nice mint box when my new figures arrive but I won't be to bothered if it isn't. It's what's inside what's really important to me.

I really don't care about the condition of the box as long as i feel like the figure is a keeper and no intention of reselling.

it matters to a degree. brown shipper is dented or small breaks, no big deal. if the art box is broken/torn in places l can see that effecting the value depending on the size.

I think people link this niche of hobby too closely to carded figures. MOC is not the same as MIB. Unless the cardboard is some kind of industrial heavy gauge stuff a perfect box is nearly impossible. Simply taking boxes out of the shipper risks scrapes.

If you're in this hobby for perfect boxes prepare for a great deal of disappointment. Boxes are boxes, as long as the figure (which is what you're buying) is fine then the difference is minimal for me.

I could care less about box condition.

I just bought a damaged box Sarah Connor from BBTS for a discount.

The figure was mint and that was that mattered to me.

But even for resale value, a ding would hurt the value by much? Sometimes I will buy a figure, then not want it and want to sell it back but I'll hear from buyers about it being dinged or dented and want much less for it. I feel it shouldn't be much less since it's still a valuable figure; would it warrant a discount for a damaged box that's not torn/ripped/etc?

Last edited:
But even for resale value, a ding would hurt the value by much? Sometimes I will buy a figure, then not want it and want to sell it back but I'll hear from buyers about it being dinged or dented and want much less for it. I feel it should be much less since it's still a valuable figure; would it warrant a discount for a damaged box that's not torn/ripped/etc?

A box that has some minor tears and shelf wear is not 'damaged' in my opinion if the figure is being sold as 'used'. And I doubt minor damage affects the resale value of a used figure much if at all. It's only MISB collectors who demand a reduced price for small rips, tears and scuffs. Nobody else really gives a crap.

Sell it for whatever you want. If they don't want to pay move on. If you think it hasn't sold because the box is dinged/dented lower the price/keep it/wait.

If you are buying these for the boxes, then you are in the wrong hobby. Hardly ever do we see the box art until these things actually start shipping. Its the figures you are buying plain and simple. If the box looks like it went through the garbage disposal, that is one thing, but these are meant to get dinged up during shipping. They take the damage instead of the figure. Its what they are designed for!

I love it when people want a MIB, sealed and unopened figure. If they want it totally sealed up, how are they ever going to know if they actually have the figure, or just a rock inside of that 'sealed' box? :lol

Just hope that it doesn't get delivered by this guy

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6_9A90cUk"]‪Ace Ventura Smashes Package‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I love it when people want a MIB, sealed and unopened figure. If they want it totally sealed up, how are they ever going to know if they actually have the figure, or just a rock inside of that 'sealed' box? :lol

Schrodingers_cat.png

Back