D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Mods & Customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.R.37

Super Freak
Reaction score
Instead of creating individual threads for each bash, repaint or modded figure (also to avoid posting on other Freak's threads), I've decided to create this to share some of the things that I've put together in this hobby i enjoy, as well as for my love of Star Wars.

Thanks for looking and please forgive the amateur shots, since my phone and/or an older camera is all i have accessible.

D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Customs - Benthic Two-tubes

My Benthic Two-tubes build:

Individually glued elastic cord to the closest matching material i could find. I thought the elasticity would help with the way the fabric laid, but after the glue, light paint washes & dusting with age, it became much stiffer than i expected :slap

IMG_1499.jpg

Paint/wash-matched the cord to the fabric.

IMG_2036.jpg

Some velcro to attach the "front tunic" to the under suit. I cheated this since the duster jacket would only reveal what would be seen. PLUS there is no way i could put a full tunic together!

IMG_2037.jpg

Much thanks to AceRimmer for the sculpt, blaster rifle and treats :panic:
Awesome work my friend! :duff

IMG_2011.jpg

Primer.

IMG_2014.jpg

Test-fit.

IMG_2031.jpg

Hehe, Thanks Wor!

Problems uploading... slow and buggy. This may take a while... :gah:

Failing to use some knee pads for the shoulder armor i ended up using some foam to get a basic form and shape before cutting it out of styrene. I then used epoxy putty to fill in the gaps and build up the contoured shape.

IMG_E2120.jpg

IMG_E2121.jpg

I was happy with my attempt at the "Macromonocular" i made with the leftover putty... still a bit wonky.

IMG_E2122.jpg

IMG_E2124.jpg

IMG_E2131.jpg

I used Hot Toys Stormtrooper hands as a base and added 0.010" styrene pieces to extend the upper hand armor and mimic the finger plating.

IMG_2034.jpg

After some clean up and primer.

IMG_E2135.jpg

Base coat.

IMG_E2137.jpg

Washes and weather dusting.

IMG_E2145.jpg

I later added plating to the thumbs.

After picking up the Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide book I noticed that the Macromonocular had an extra piece attached to the "bell". I'm guessing that that extended piece was changed or broke off during filming since it wasn't there :dunno. Also in different shots of the movie, one of Benthic's ear antennae changes lengths, most likely due to breakage. Just my own speculations.

Unbroken antenna and shortened/broken macromonocular (screencap):

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 1.23.50 AM.jpg

Broken antenna (screencap):

twotubes.jpg

Extended/complete macromonocular (Visual Guide):

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_E2157.jpg

Chest valve: Tiny detail that was hard to replicate at 1/6 scale. This is what i came up with and i think it reads well enough from a regular viewing distance.

IMG_2168.jpg

I initially tried using missile silos from one of the random model kits i have, but that would have required some major cut and sand work to make simple canisters; so i measured the diameter of the end-caps I butchered from squeeze-bottle caps (they appeared to be about the right size) and found some acrylic tubing in that same size. The sprue frame i used along with styrene cuts to make the backpack frame.

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_E2163.jpg

I made slits in the canisters to key in with the styrene backpack frame.

IMG_2164.jpg

Paint and weathering with added dump pouch and canister straps.

IMG_2262 copy.jpg

Side-by-side shot with the screencap.

IMG_2263.jpg

On the blaster rifle, I noticed that the barrel was a bit different on the print i received compared to some of the refs i had so i slightly modded it.

Smoothed and tapered the end of the barrel, also extended the small piping underneath.

IMG_E2149.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

I later shortened the barrel a few millimeters, trimmed the "under pipe" (apologies for not having extensive fire-arms knowledge) and bored a hole in the end of the barrel with a pin vise. I was extremely careful to keep it straight and not slip while pin-vising(?)/drilling... that was nerve-racking.

I may go back in and lighten it up. After comparing it to refs, the butt and stock are a bit on the... *ahem* ...dark side :vader :monkey3

Fully Painted:

IMG_2376.jpg

Details:

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

My attempt at bluing/blueing the end of the barrel. Not really screen accurate but had fun tinkering with it. I'm still deciding to either tone it down a bit or get rid of it all together.

IMG_E2377.jpg

First go at paint and had some cracking occur on the forehead Yondu-looking bit.

IMG_E2232.jpg

Fixed with Mr. Surfacer 1000, sanded and went back in with paint & wash.

IMG_2256 (1).jpg

IMG_E2261.jpg

...and finally with the tubes.

IMG_2270.jpg

Re: D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Customs

That is INCREDIBLE!

I love this character ...
and your work ...
and your dedication is Phenomenal.

I am so glad Ace was able to sculpt these awesome parts. You guys made a work of art.

Amazingly brilliant. Your ingenuity and use of different materials, both found and created blows my mind. Great eye for details.

I honestly don’t remember this character (I need to rewatch RO), but it is so cool looking I’m bummed he’s relegated to a background character; a movie with a bad-ass looking creation like this would be killer.

As usual.......AWESOME work!!

Thanks! :)

That is INCREDIBLE!

I love this character ...
and your work ...
and your dedication is Phenomenal.

I am so glad Ace was able to sculpt these awesome parts. You guys made a work of art.

Thanks so much, Steven! :duff
I have some requests for him, but still need to see if it?s even possible if I can make the rest of the character(s). I may have to hit you up for some pointers :)

Amazingly brilliant. Your ingenuity and use of different materials, both found and created blows my mind. Great eye for details.

I honestly don?t remember this character (I need to rewatch RO), but it is so cool looking I?m bummed he?s relegated to a background character; a movie with a bad-ass looking creation like this would be killer.

Thank you! I usually keep a look out for pieces of plastic: model kits, toy accessories, even broken parts i?ve seen on the street - whatever catches my eye and if it looks like it could possibly be used. This madness all started when I was gathering greeblies for my Gonk/Power Droid build :D
Benthic had more lines and I think more screen time than Boba Fett. Well, that doesn?t say much hehe.
Yeah, there are many great background characters designs in Rogue One, some only appear for seconds; most of Saw Gerrera?s Rebels, Jehda citizens and Rebel Alliance aliens, soldiers and pilots.

That is INCREDIBLE!

Your ingenuity and use of different materials, both found and created blows my mind. Great eye for details.

Took these words right out of my mouth.

Hot Toys quality from a home-made bash... I'm not sure there's a higher compliment except that this is BETTER than HT because its built from love.

I'm forever envious in the best possible way! :bow

Looking great. Really liked the design of that droid in Rogue One. If you can, you should fix the flat "crystal" on the forehead. It should have more sharp angles - think diamond shape - and protrude a little more towards the top before bending inwards again. I think that will make it look more accurate.

Also, the ear antennae could simply be possible to extend in and out depending on its needs - at least that's what I think.

Took these words right out of my mouth.

Hot Toys quality from a home-made bash... I'm not sure there's a higher compliment except that this is BETTER than HT because its built from love.

I'm forever envious in the best possible way! :bow

Wow, thank you SO much man! :duff

Looking great. Really liked the design of that droid in Rogue One. If you can, you should fix the flat "crystal" on the forehead. It should have more sharp angles - think diamond shape - and protrude a little more towards the top before bending inwards again. I think that will make it look more accurate.

Also, the ear antennae could simply be possible to extend in and out depending on its needs - at least that's what I think.

Thanks. He?s actually a humanoid-type not droid, but I can see what you?re saying about the head piece. I?ve been done with the sculpt after some cracking and color issues. Possibly a slight paint tweak in the future but as far a structural changes I?m finished and satisfied 😅

DUDE. DUDEEEEE!!! That's so awesome! I'll echo the others and say it's easily HT quality, holy ****!! Love seeing your progress pics and how you tackled certain things. Fantastic!!

What a treat to see how your work came together, D.R.37! Your attention to detail, your commitment, and your skill are beyond admirable. This is as impressive as it can possibly get. :clap :clap :clap

Thank you for sharing the pics and descriptions of your progress. I hope we get to see much more of your work going forward. Absolutely incredible stuff!

DUDE. DUDEEEEE!!! That's so awesome! I'll echo the others and say it's easily HT quality, holy ****!! Love seeing your progress pics and how you tackled certain things. Fantastic!!

What a treat to see how your work came together, D.R.37! Your attention to detail, your commitment, and your skill are beyond admirable. This is as impressive as it can possibly get. :clap :clap :clap

Thank you for sharing the pics and descriptions of your progress. I hope we get to see much more of your work going forward. Absolutely incredible stuff!

Thank you! Truly appreciated!! :D

Back