Customized Hulk...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy, I know it's just 'ripping up some jeans' but you did it so well..YOU F'NG TALENTED B@ST@RD!!! I HATE YOU!!

J/K...Those pants F'n ROCK! I went and looked at your original sculpted pants, and to be honest, I like what you did here even better. Thanks for sharing.

Wowza, thanks folks! Glad you like him! I didn't think to document the process with pics or anything, but I'll describe what I did for you...

I started by un-stitching the center seam (starting at the bottom of the velcro crotch area and moving back to the butt). I removed the stitching just enough so I could slip the pants off both legs (had to cut almost completely thru to the back of the pants). I did this rather crudely, just cutting the stitched threads with an exacto knife. Once the pants were off I took the exacto blade and made some rough swipes at the pants until I got the shreds and holes that I wanted. Then I took them outside and literally 'scrubbed' the pants hard against the concrete to rough them up more. I washed them (which was totally unnecessary in hindsight) and then put them back on the Hulk. I tried sewing the seam back up, but the fit was so tight I was having a hard time doing that... So in the end I just used hot-glue to re-attach the seam. It works really well with fabric, but you have to be very careful with it. Once I got the pants back into place, I arranged the wrinkles and folds the way I wanted them, and then applied paint directly to the surface of the fabric. I drybrushed mostly, with some shadows and then some pale purple-gray highlights to make them look older and weathered. I removed the shirt and the clasps on the pants (and velcro pieces) just out of personal preference.

I hope that explains it decently... It was every bit as easy as it sounds, but PLEASE don't take this as an official endorsement to try these techniques on your own Hulk. I wouldn't want anyone ruining their 400-dollar statue with a giant glob of hot glue or something because I recommended it! :)

Thanks again for the great compliments guys.

excellent work AB!! but alas, i don't have the rocks to try it either. what i was planning on doing was getting a kids (kid my ass. some of my shirts would work on this giant) white shirt and ripping it up, weathering it, and putting tiny bits on the Hulk. a sleeve here, half a collar, little more hanging from the waist. that sorta thing. change it around from time to time.

Andy, you better be careful at Wizard World, it seems like you have a whole lot of 'Man-Crushes' now! :love :D

Seriously though, excellent custom work, a lot of freaks would kill to have your Hulk.

Hi Andy,

I love your work and am grateful I own the Grey Hulk but I'm also considering the Green to do a little customizing myself. I had just a couple questions if you don't mind.

Was the paint application on the base done with an airbrush?

Was there additional highlights on the Hulks body that you also did. The feet look like they've had some work to reflect the blackness of the pavement.

When you said the pants didn't need a wash was it because the concrete actually made the pants look exactly like they do know.

Do you have any more plans for this particular Green Hulk like adding anything to the base: broken car, building, people (JK), bits and pieces?

I'm looking forward to seeing what pieces you've done that haven't been announced btw...your blessed with amazing talent!!!

Beautiful!!! :bow :bow :bow

I was just thinking about this looking at the prototype Hulk pants and wishing how the production pieces were ripped more revealing more of your amazing sculpt. I'm not even that much of a Hulk fan but this is one of the most beautiful statues I've seen.

This is a thread that deserved to be revived.

Andy, when are you coming back to Sideshow? :monkey3

I'm really glad this thread got bumped. I too missed this one the first time around.

Hey Andy,

I know you float around these threads......are you getting the Thing? Are you planning on making the bases match?

i bought this piece not only because im a huge hulk fan but because
someone like me trying to become a sculptor having and seeing this piece is so inspiring

you are a sculpting god!:bow

Back