Custom Hot Toys 'Batman vs Predator' Pred

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. No he didnt.

And that argument "YOU DO BETTER!!!" is so lame.

I could say "Why dont you go out and make a better Predator movie?"

But I wont...because that's stupid. :lol

Thing is... the price is not up to the people. It's up to the artist. Like he said if it does not sell it will gladly remain with him.

Agreed. But I think you're wrong in stating that people are trying to "low ball" him. People are just pointing out the obvious. If he wants to keep his prices like that, good for him. No one cares. You act like people are making petitions and trying to get local officials involved to force this dude into lowering his prices. It's just discussion. Nothing more, no hidden agendas.

Don't hate, just don't buy. He will either lower his price or go out of business... simple economics.

No hate involved. I was one of the first people to say his custom looked great. But I'm also a realist. :D

No appreciation. You've contributed with another excuse to low ball. Sad.

:lol:lol:lol

He could lower this figure to $200 like a HT release and I still wouldn't bid on it or want it. Sorry.

I saw a certain someone say it's just a $200 pred body with a paint job and lots of accessories. Sounds like a knock on the work to me. Trying to justify his reasoning for people not agreeing with the artist price by breaking down what the artist did and used to create the piece.
Thing is... the price is not up to the people. It's up to the artist. Like he said if it does not sell it will gladly remain with him.
Just people being cheap and trying to low ball.

I read the original post and Still seems to me he's just knocking the price not the figure :huh

Agreed. But I think you're wrong in stating that people are trying to "low ball" him. People are just pointing out the obvious. If he wants to keep his prices like that, good for him. No one cares. You act like people are making petitions and trying to get local officials involved to force this dude into lowering his prices. It's just discussion. Nothing more, no hidden agendas.

No hate involved. I was one of the first people to say his custom looked great. But I'm also a realist. :D

Do you see any helicopters flying overhead outside?
Was I yelling with CAPS? I was taking part in the discussion just as you were. I need not remind you this is a forum. You know the rest I'm sure.

Seems people cant read. It says $850 at opening bid and a buy it now for $1200 plus. How many people have walked into a dealership and paid what the MSRP was? What I mean by that is the msrp is 1200 and 850 is how low the dealership would go

People have paid a 1000 plus for the ancient predator asian version that is ugly has heck to me. Isnt art interpreted by different people differently? Dont people pay millions for a Pacasso paintings yet I think his work is crap. My neighbor has a brand New Ferarri 430 for over 300K out the door. To me thats nuts but he loves that car and he said it was worth ever penny. Im content with my Acura tl type s. If I had won the lottery for 100 million Id buy 2 ferrari's and the Predator on Ebay and anything that slightly looked decent from sideshow or hot toys.

If I was ever going to spend A $1000 on a sideshow or hot toys Item I would rather has this Predator because there is only one. I have a clothingline and I sell my shirts from $38-52 dollars. Yet there are far more people that like $10 shirts then $38 plus. What can you say to those people who dont want a quality shirt?

My point is dont knock something if you think its too much or out of your price range. There is always one person who is willing to buy it but its a metter of that person seeing it.

The truth of the matter is, custom work in most cases is not a good business. You're basically going up against established companies with access to huge factories like Hot Toys and Sideshow. You may have spent $1200 worth of your time to build the custom pred, but who's going to pay $1200 for that custom when they can get one very similar for $200 - $300 out of the factory. The only custom work worth doing is something that is unavailable out there, like the Catwoman 1:6 custom from Hong Kong that is selling like hot cakes cuz no one else is doing that figure yet. Gotta think it through and pick the right project to work on if your plan is to sell. If you are doing it for your passion and love of art, then there's no point in making a fuzz about it, just ignore and move on.

Personally I'm a Freelancer and I have a rule to never work for "regular" people, cuz I really don't expect they can compensate my time. When making custom work you are basically asking the buyer to pay for your salary, when your customer really only wanted pay for a product. $1200 is a very reasonable amount for a salary but way overpriced for a product, that's why in most cases it just doesn't work out. People now adays are used to paying low prices for everything that is made from Chinese factories with dirt cheap labor. Unless you got a plan to compete with that kind of cost I say move on to better things and work for a company instead.

:goodpost::clap:goodpost:
The truth of the matter is, custom work in most cases is not a good business. You're basically going up against established companies with access to huge factories like Hot Toys and Sideshow. You may have spent $1200 worth of your time to build the custom pred, but who's going to pay $1200 for that custom when they can get one very similar for $200 - $300 out of the factory. The only custom work worth doing is something that is unavailable out there, like the Catwoman 1:6 custom from Hong Kong that is selling like hot cakes cuz no one else is doing that figure yet. Gotta think it through and pick the right project to work on if your plan is to sell. If you are doing it for your passion and love of art, then there's no point in making a fuzz about it, just ignore and move on.

Personally I'm a Freelancer and I have a rule to never work for "regular" people, cuz I really don't expect they can compensate my time. When making custom work you are basically asking the buyer to pay for your salary, when your customer really only wanted pay for a product. $1200 is a very reasonable amount for a salary but way overpriced for a product, that's why in most cases it just doesn't work out. People now adays are used to paying low prices for everything that is made from Chinese factories with dirt cheap labor. Unless you got a plan to compete with that kind of cost I say move on to better things and work for a company instead.

Isnt art interpreted by different people differently?

Yes, but art also has a set value based on numerous factors. The most important being the name of the artist. That's why pieces of art get appraised, to determine their value.

You mentioned Picasso. Compare what his work fetches at auction to a completely unknown artist. Is it the same? No.

You can't compare stuff in this hobby to traditional art. It never works. No one buys stuff in this hobby because of the person who made it. They buy it based off the finished product. Who actually made the piece is irrelevant. It's the opposite when it comes to traditional artwork. People will spend millions to own a piece of artwork from a particular artist just to say they own a piece of artwork from a particular artist. They don't have to like it. :lol

It's Apples and Oranges. And it'll be that way until a "forum customizer" can crumple up a napkin, paint two crappy eyes and a smiley mouth with a sharpie and sell it for hundreds of dollars simply because people want something, ANYTHING from that artist.

Now beyond that, I think the reason people are kinda put off by the price is because this isn't an original, 100% built from scratch figure. This customizer is essentially selling other peoples hard work (as well as his own) and trying to make a profit. He didn't sculpt that head, or make the dreads, or sculpt/design that body, or sculpt the majority of that armor or make that base. Hot Toys did all that work.

Concerning your Acura tl type s: Think of the price you paid for it. Now imagine someone repainting it, adding a few minor things and then selling it for a minimum of 4x that original cost and up to 6x that original cost. Would you still agree that's a fair price for what you're getting?

Yes, but art also has a set value based on numerous factors. The most important being the name of the artist. That's why pieces of art get appraised, to determine their value.

You mentioned Picasso. Compare what his work fetches at auction to a completely unknown artist. Is it the same? No.

You can't compare stuff in this hobby to traditional art. It never works. No one buys stuff in this hobby because of the person who made it. They buy it based off the finished product. Who actually made the piece is irrelevant. It's the opposite when it comes to traditional artwork. People will spend millions to own a piece of artwork from a particular artist just to say they own a piece of artwork from a particular artist. They don't have to like it. :lol

It's Apples and Oranges. And it'll be that way until a "forum customizer" can crumple up a napkin, paint two crappy eyes and a smiley mouth with a sharpie and sell it for hundreds of dollars simply because people want something, ANYTHING from that artist.

Now beyond that, I think the reason people are kinda put off by the price is because this isn't an original, 100% built from scratch figure. This customizer is essentially selling other peoples hard work (as well as his own) and trying to make a profit. He didn't sculpt that head, or make the dreads, or sculpt/design that body, or sculpt the majority of that armor or make that base. Hot Toys did all that work.

Concerning your Acura tl type s: Think of the price you paid for it. Now imagine someone repainting it, adding a few minor things and then selling it for a minimum of 4x that original cost and up to 6x that original cost. Would you still agree that's a fair price for what you're getting?

screw you for making good points!!! jk about the screw you. I hear ya and your right. There is artist know as Kaws and Pherrell Williams paid 4 million for his Homer Simpson Darth Vader Hybrid statue..... I would never pay 164K for a painted TL

i read all the posts up to this point. and basicly ive boiled it down to the one thing this guy said kinda sums up what everyone here is skateing around. look, if it was a full one of a kind sculpt yould be looking at a price tag of around $2400+.

for all my years in the industry, my education, and my time on this project speciffically. i will be payed the ammount i want for this if you want it. your job pays you, if you want my work, you will pay me! again, im not here to help you in anyway. i dont care how big, or how much youve spent building your doll collection, for how long. if i spend $30 on a canvas, im selling the painting for $300 the same applies for doing a figure. your not paying for the plastic doll, your paying for the work ive done to it. i have friends that pick old cars out of swamps and make them look amazing, and sell them for what i think is a rediculous price. but thats just putting new paint and chrome on someone elses design and calling it their own, right?

im just spent on that stupid line about "theres people here that can do that or better". AFTER i saw the tooth pick i realizied i can make one of those as well! :lol

I once saw a picture of an Ice Cream cone go for 80 bucks. It wasnt even an interesting Ice Cream cone either. It was almost child like.

Nothing like that should be worth 80 bucks.

What that has to do with the thread? I dont ____ing know....:dunno

I saw a certain someone say it's just a $200 pred body with a paint job and lots of accessories. Sounds like a knock on the work to me. Trying to justify his reasoning for people not agreeing with the artist price by breaking down what the artist did and used to create the piece.
Just people being cheap and trying to low ball.

How is that a "knock?" That's essentially what it is. A $200 predator with a custom paint job and extra accessories. Elvis did a very impressive "Zombie predator" and Silent Surfer did his awesome "Na'vi" inspired predator. Both were equally as visibly appealing as this custom (if not more so - but your mileage may vary). Neither of them would ask $1200 for them. But moreso, if they did, they wouldn't dare call people cheap for not paying that much for what is, again, essentially a $200 predator with a custom paint job and extra accessories. It'd be one thing if this Pred was a scratch, hand-built figure by the artist. But it isn't.

Personally, I just think you're here, like in every other thread, attempting to stir up ____ and general unpleasantness with your instigating and quite immature posts. You really don't offer anything substantial to the topic other than mud slinging and as you've proven time and again, cannot hold an adult discussion without a tyrannical temper-tantrum when proven wrong or when popular opinion sways from your side. But we all know this isn't the first forum you've trolled. Those at The Hunter's Lair feel the same way.

I read the original post and Still seems to me he's just knocking the price not the figure :huh

:lecture:lecture:lecture That and the blatant disrespect of the artist calling freaks cheap for not wanting to pay $1200 for a repainted figure from an artist that is essentially unknown on these boards.

Last edited:
How is that a "knock?" That's essentially what it is. A $200 predator with a custom paint job and extra accessories. Elvis did a very impressive "Zombie predator" and Silent Surfer did his awesome "Na'vi" inspired predator. Both were equally as visibly appealing as this custom (if not more so - but your mileage may vary). Neither of them would ask $1200 for them. But moreso, if they did, they wouldn't dare call people cheap for not paying that much for what is, again, essentially a $200 predator with a custom paint job and extra accessories. It'd be one thing if this Pred was a scratch, hand-built figure by the artist. But it isn't.

Personally, I just think you're here, like in every other thread, attempting to stir up ____ and general unpleasantness with your instigating and quite immature posts. You really don't offer anything substantial to the topic other than mud slinging and as you've proven time and again, cannot hold an adult discussion without a tyrannical temper-tantrum when proven wrong or when popular opinion sways from your side. But we all know this isn't the first forum you've trolled. Those at The Hunter's Lair feel the same way.

:lecture:lecture:lecture That and the blatant disrespect of the artist calling freaks cheap for not wanting to pay $1200 for a repainted figure from an artist that is essentially unknown on these boards.

Zombie Predator? Did I hear Zombie Predator?! :yess:

Back