Custom 1:1 Indiana Jones; first custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avbat

Super Freak
Reaction score
Custom 1:1 Indiana Jones; first custom, BIG UPDATE pg 3

Hey there fellas, these are some WIP pix of my 1:1 Howard S studio Indiana Jones bust. Thought you guys might like to check it out. I do have to thank knucklefunger for helping me get going on this though. w/o his help there is NO WAY I would be this far on it, because it is my first custom. I posted all over this board asking for some help and read up on things a ton, and when I wasn't getting anywhere he was the only one who would take the time to drop me a line. Much thanks knuckle!!!

Back to the bust, here it is after airbrush base coats, some powdercoats, and another base...

IMG_1338.jpg

Here it is after about another 10 - 12 hours more of work. lots of time spent on the skin tones, making him look sunburnt, however in the pix he looks a little orange due to the lighting. and here his stubble is about 2/3 done. stubble was done by stippling on every "hair" with paint and needle . . .

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

Hope you all enjoy, feedback is more than welcome. Let me know what you think!! thanks!!

Last edited:
I have a fully authentic Indy costume that will eventually be used to make a full lifesize figure

Looking very good. Which film did you use for reference shots?

I have just been using any Indy shots where he is fairly tan. This bust could be from either of the first two movies really, maybe even first 3. I really prefer Indy w/ a thicker beard, but the sculpt can pass w/ the 5 o'clock shadow at best, and i don't really care enough at this point to go about sculpting a light beard onto this already beautiful sculpt.

On the facial hair, Ford had the most stubble in Raiders and the other movies toned it down a bit more as they went. Just pay attention to the Raiders film photos and you'll notice his facial hair is not even in thickness all the way around as so many people make the mistake of doing.

I had this bust and the only real negative is that it was sculpted with 'hat hair' but not to the correct sized fedora. The bust has to take a size hat which is several sizes too big and throws off all the realism of the piece. I took a grinder to mine to get the hat hair back down to the normal size hat size (Ford wears a 7 1/4 which is my size also and the most common) and then added a filler. I never completed it and sold it but I have yet to see anyone do it correctly and shave down the head to the correct size. The sculpted hair doesn't do this piece justice.

That being said I can't wait to see yours when you're done.

What paints are you using? I've got a Howard S Han solo bust and used Testor's MM paints. Always curious as to what others use.

Last edited:
On the facial hair, Ford had the most stubble in Raiders and the other movies toned it down a bit more as they went. Just pay attention to the Raiders film photos and you'll notice his facial hair is not even in thickness all the way around as so many people make the mistake of doing.

I had this bust and the only real negative is that it was sculpted with 'hat hair' but not to the correct sized fedora. The bust has to take a size hat which is several sizes too big and throws off all the realism of the piece. I took a grinder to mine to get the hat hair back down to the normal size hat size (Ford wears a 7 1/4 which is my size also and the most common) and then added a filler. I never completed it and sold it but I have yet to see anyone do it correctly and shave down the head to the correct size. The sculpted hair doesn't do this piece justice.

That being said I can't wait to see yours when you're done.

Yes sir, I was surprised seeing how real this piece looks to see that Howard S sculpted it w/ hat hair that makes it about a size 8 (or 61 -62 depending on where you live in the world), verses the more accurate 7 1/4 that Harrison really wore. One thing that works to my advantage there is that is the exact size i wear. Yea my head is pretty huge, but I am a bit bigger more athletic sort guy myself, so it isn't really even noticeable. So my Federation iii fits this bust perfectly. The brim is a bit wide, but that can be fixed. My Raiders SOC hat from Adventurebuilt will be here in Nov/Dec. Then we will see how that looks on Harrison's noggin!!

What paints are you using? I've got a Howard S Han solo bust and used Testor's MM paints. Always curious as to what others use.

To be honest w/ you I am a very skilled painter as far as on canvas and in what would be considered the "classical" terms of painting, but I had never painted anything like this before ever. I asked for help all over this board, and the only guy that took the time to give me help on the materials was knucklefunger. He told me to go for acrylics, not enamels, from tamiya, liquitex, testors, monstersinmotion.com, etc. He also told me that i could do most of my coloration though powdercoating, once I had airbrushed on my base coats.
So... since i the only flesh tone i could find where i live was in the cheap acrylic like Apple Barrel, I mixed that w/ a little liquitex for the base, then powdercoated from there, adding clear coats after every stage.

Sorry I don't come to the IJ area that often. I have a few pics at my website of my Han. Least I think I do, here's the link:

https://paulsplasticpalace.spaces.live.com/

You've got a good fleshtone there and like where it's going. I repainted my Han last year after I took him to a con and realized strait MM flesh base is too light. So for the second time I cut it with a bit of military brown and gave a much better Fleshtone base.

Hey all thanks for the kind words!! It is really encouraging! , I haven't had as much time to do much on ol' Harrison as of late, but i did make some progress today. as you can see in these pix the stubble is all done, I have almost completed the lips, I added some bluish -gray hues above the eyes, and did a light base on the eye brows. The lips were sort of time consuming, but i like where they are at for now. So i snapped some quick pix in more natural lighting (outside late late afternoon ). Let me know what you think people!!

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372-1.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

Back