Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Current discount codes at SSC: List of Spook codes in 1st post

I might as well throw my two cents in:

I have no issue with female, male, multiracial, gay, or any combination of those attributes in a comic. Doesn't bug me.

What bugs me is shoehorning it in to appease people. Don't alter old characters, expand your roster by introducing new ones. Give VALUE to these new characters that fill those quotas and not use those aspects as a way to simply appease people. If I was easily offended like a great deal of people seem to be these days, I would think it would be more infuriating to see those aspects used as a simple "we did it" as opposed to giving time and development to new characters where that is a unique attribute.

They're doing that, too (see Ms. Marvel and Mosaic). But, here's the thing: the market is so flooded today that it's really difficult to get a book starring a completely new character to sell. It makes way more business sense to introduce characters like Ironheart by having them takeover a high-selling book like Iron Man for a couple of years, and hen have them branch out on their own when they're established.

Additionally, characters liked Thor and Steve Rogers haven't gone anywhere or been diminished by their "replacements". Both have their own books (Unworthy Thor start in November). So everybody gets what they want. Really, I'll be crushed when Jane Foster puts down the hammer. She's awesome.

It's one of Marvel best books right now. Totally Awesome Hulk is also great, and I've heard really good things about Captain America: Sam Wilson.

Marvel has always tried to reflect the world as it exists outside our windows, and that includes telling stories about diverse people. People who are mad today must have been really mad in 1975 when Giant-Sized X-Men #1 saw the all-American X-Men replaced by a Russian, Canadian, African, German, and Native American.

All those characters (well, except Thunderbird) are considered iconic today, incidentally.

The difference is they didn't give you african cyclops, handicapped jean grey, female iceman, etc they created new characters and storylines.

i crashed out, are we still at 71?

It's one of Marvel best books right now. Totally Awesome Hulk is also great, and I've heard really good things about Captain America: Sam Wilson.

Marvel has always tried to reflect the world as it exists outside our windows, and that includes telling stories about diverse people. People who are mad today must have been really mad in 1975 when Giant-Sized X-Men #1 saw the all-American X-Men replaced by a Russian, Canadian, African, German, and Native American.

All those characters (well, except Thunderbird) are considered iconic today, incidentally.

Except they were all new characters, not co-opting the mantle, name and legacy of old and already established ones.

New characters are always welcome, in my book. Kicking established ones to the curb or sidelining them just so you can try and ride on their fame and popularity coattails in the cynical hopes of a shortcut to success, not so much. In my view, anyhow.

I'm not really into comics but i have really enjoyed reading the female Thor story. Some hate it but we all know it's not permanent so i'm just enjoying it while it lasts. I have not bought this many comics since i was 10.

Except they were all new characters, not co-opting the mantle, name and legacy of old and already established ones.

New characters are always welcome. Kicking established ones to the curb just so you can try and ride on their fame and popularity coattails, not so much. In my view, anyhow.

To me, as a lifelong comic reader, DC's New 52 telling fans "Hey, most of the character's histories you've loved are gone" is a lot worse then putting a woman in a title traditionally held by a man. DC's New 52 was ALL a stunt to get new readers, and nothing more. The only reason they're on the Rebirth storyline is because they managed to completely botch what was good about the New 52. I used to read Batman religiously years ago and, after the last few years, I've abandoned it.

I'm not saying Marvel hasn't made some horrible mistakes. I used to love most of the X-Men titles, and I'm not reading many now. They're just not good. Personally, I don't care if they focus on a female Thor for a few years, or a black Captain America, as long as the writing is good. Jon Stewart replaced Hal Jordan for quite a while, and most of us look fondly on that because the writing was good. Plus, I don't want to pick up a book and read the same damn stories over and over again. I want some some creativity and unexpected twists.

To me, as a lifelong comic reader, DC's New 52 telling fans "Hey, most of the character's histories you've loved are gone" is a lot worse then putting a woman in a title traditionally held by a man. DC's New 52 was ALL a stunt to get new readers, and nothing more. The only reason they're on the Rebirth storyline is because they managed to completely botch what was good about the New 52. I used to read Batman religiously years ago and, after the last few years, I've abandoned it.

I'm not saying Marvel hasn't made some horrible mistakes. I used to love most of the X-Men titles, and I'm not reading many now. They're just not good. Personally, I don't care if they focus on a female Thor for a few years, or a black Captain America, as long as the writing is good. Jon Stewart replaced Hal Jordan for quite a while, and most of us look fondly on that because the writing was good. Plus, I don't want to pick up a book and read the same damn stories over and over again. I want some some creativity and unexpected twists.

Stewart is great! And Hal got some MUCH needed time away , and Geoff brought him back with a AMAZING run!

You mean there will be nothing in this thread except MCU discussion until tomorrow mid morning?

I feel no one could possibly know this that doesn't work for sideshow.

And comic arguments are the foundation of fandom

I feel no one could possibly know this that doesn't work for sideshow.

And comic arguments are the foundation of fandom

Yeah, no thread is worth crap without the Marvel Vs. DC debate!

That's a matter of perspective. I'm sure many would have considered them to be usurping the mantles of the rightful X-Men. regardless of whether or not they shared the same codenames.

New characters are always welcome, in my book. Kicking established ones to the curb or sidelining them just so you can try and ride on their fame and popularity coattails in the cynical hopes of a shortcut to success, not so much. In my view, anyhow.
It's a long established trope in Superhero comics. Jean Paul Valley, Ben Reilly, the four replacement Superman, James Rhodes, Eric Masteron, Wally West, Beta Ray Bill, Bucky Barnes, **** (I can't believe this is censored) Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Damian Wayne, Carol Danvers, Scott Lang, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, Ted Kord... the list goes on. All these characters adopted the mantle of another. The story of the legacy hero is tried and true. Some of those characters fizzled out, but many became great in their own right, or became essential parts of their predecessors' histories.

We're also not really kicking anyone to the curb, anyway. Nobody was Ms. Marvel when Kamala Khan came along. Nobody was Nova when Sam Alexander took up the role. Miles Morales hasn't displaced Peter Parker. Steve Rogers and Thor have their own ongoings. Bruce Banner and Tony Stark appear to be off the table for now, I admit.

Anyways, I'm not trying to browbeat anyone, I just think the complaints about the current slate at Marvel are short-sighted. This is the way comics have always been, and the way they always will be.

Back