Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Current discount codes at SSC and other random rumblings no June code yet

Let's switch gears on something I don't like about sideshow. Why are most HT figures a flat rate of $10.00 to ship ( AOU cap, widow, hawkeye, arkham bats etc ) but then a in house product like a clone is $14 or $16 etc?

I just think weird that their products that are lighter and smaller than HT cost more.

See the Marty Mcfly thread a week or so ago. Sideshow picks and chooses which figures to gouge for profit on shipping. Its maddening.

My family has been in retail for over 40 years and I think some don't understand how businesses work.

Anyway, anything from China has a BIG markup. That's the way it is and.....well, take it or leave it, unfortunately.

I blame Bush......or Obama......or........

Let's not turn this into a bashing thread please.

If anyone has a code they don't want I would greatly appreciate one. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, well I thought I would ask. Thanks for your reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I blame Bush......or Obama......or........

Let's not turn this into a bashing thread please.
That wasn't my intention really. Just pointing out that people always **** on Hot Toys solely for high prices when I don't think that's completely accurate.

That wasn't my intention really. Just pointing out that people always **** on Hot Toys solely for high prices when I don't think that's completely accurate.

Not pointing the finger at you, it just felt like the thread was going in that direction.

LOL boy you guys sure know how to twist my words. 30% is a very reasonable markup for retail. I wouldn't be surprised if their markup was higher than that. If they're unloading stuff for 20-30% off, I'd be surprised if they'd do that and take a loss. It wouldn't shock me if their cost is 50% of what their retail prices are.

If you think 10% is reasonable markup for a retail business, please do yourself a favor and don't ever open a retail business. :lecture

I highly doubt any retailer would buy stock any more than 50% of what they sell for.
Think about staff/customer service, logistics, website costs, warehouse/storage costs etc...

30% is barebones for retail on many items. There are "loss leaders" with less of course. Sideshow, as the distributor, has to be making more than 30 points when they sell the product themselves - it wouldn't make any sense otherwise. They may make less than 30 points when they sell to another retailer, which again, makes perfect sense and would be very common. The next retailer should be making around 30%

Sideshow doesn't buy retail from HT, so don't look at the price in HK and then say Sideshow is greedy for marking that up. Sideshow pay much less for stock than a consumer in HK. So yes, that's even more margin, but calling it "greedy" is naive at best. They're operating a business and let me tell you (not that you'll care) there are a lot more expenses in obtaining these figures for them than there are for a retailer in HK right next door to Hot Toys.

Next time you think Sideshow is ripping you off, take a look at the prices from many other HK stores, such as KG Hobby and others. Are their prices much lower than SS? Lower at all? No.

I wonder if pixel is sitting back like " yea bitches, got ya "

Since no one replied for 18 hours. Lol

I wonder if pixel is sitting back like " yea bitches, got ya "

Since no one replied for 18 hours. Lol

I'd like to think that nobody is arguing against his point because everybody here is smart enough to realize that what he stated is true. If a business doesn't mark up their product they won't be in business very long. Different business models have different markup percentages based on several factors like volume of product sold, overhead costs, etc etc. I don't always like some of SS sales tactics and sometimes I b%&*-$ about them. But if they don't make a profit, stuff like this will be much harder to come by for collectors.

I don't think anyone (myself included) was saying Sideshow was being greedy or doesn't deserve to make profit. I was simply pointing out that Sideshow plays a role in the cost of figures going up. Not just because of their markups but because they control the distribution in the US.

I'm a little confused about the idea that retailers can't have sales while SS offers 20% and 30% coupons on stuff all the time.

because they control the distribution in the US.

This is a valid point as well. I won't pretend to know all the details of the arrangement between hong kong, sideshow, and all the other retailers but it does seem to be a monopoly of sorts.

I'm a little confused about the idea that retailers can't have sales while SS offers 20% and 30% coupons on stuff all the time.

I believe, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that distributors can't advertise a greater than 10% markdown (from MSRP) without explicit permission from sideshow. Coupons don't fall into that, plus this wouldn't apply to Sideshow anyway. It follows the same principal of looking at an item on a website and having to add to cart to see the hidden low price which is below what the manufacturer allows.

https://help.target.com/help/Target...Title=What+does+“See+Low+Price+in+Cart”+mean?

Good article on minimum advertised price: https://www.nuvonium.com/blog/view/...ice-msrp-vs-minimum-advertised-price-map-expl

Back