Creating a Collection ( UK )

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rderbyshire88

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been a massive fan of sideshow ( before I knew they were sideshow ) statues since I was a young lad and this last year I have found myself with a job that actually allowed me to buy some bust and statues to start a collection. The problem I quickly faced was a disjointed collection. I have mini busts , 1/6 , 1/4. Premium Format busts and full statues and it looks a mess.

My gf is a very , erm , sensible spender and hates me buying the statues so now I'm looking at 1 everything two months perhaps.

What would you guys suggest? I much prefer the size and detail of the premium format but most of my favourite characters don't have them. Or at least not that I can get over here in the UK .

I hope that made some sense, wrote it in a rush so my apologies if it's gibberish.

I usually use " it's been on back order, so I paid months ago " that works alright :)
Anyway, this is getting more like Dear Diedre than anything else lol
Any suggestions at some decent start pieces

Stick with what you like. Don't buy just to build the collection though because you'll be back later selling that more. Be critical.

Heed those warnings and it'll make you, your girlfriend and your wallet happy. That's Sideshow code. That's guy code. :lol

Look, even without the girlfriend being an issue, all collectors face 2 issues. Money and space. If your collection is all over the place, it will look disjointed. You will keep ordering statues and run out of room. Your collection needs focus. Only you can decide what it is you really want. Make up some rules and stick to them. For me, I collect Bowen/Koto statues for full runs of teams. When it comes to SSC pieces, I generally just pic up my most favorite characters. The size and limited selection of SSC pieces force me to be very focused as to what I buy. Figuring out how you want your collection to look is the most difficult part. After you do that the greatest challenge you will face is sticking to your guns. Good luck.

Look, even without the girlfriend being an issue, all collectors face 2 issues. Money and space. If your collection is all over the place, it will look disjointed. You will keep ordering statues and run out of room. Your collection needs focus. Only you can decide what it is you really want. Make up some rules and stick to them. For me, I collect Bowen/Koto statues for full runs of teams. When it comes to SSC pieces, I generally just pic up my most favorite characters. The size and limited selection of SSC pieces force me to be very focused as to what I buy. Figuring out how you want your collection to look is the most difficult part. After you do that the greatest challenge you will face is sticking to your guns. Good luck.

:exactly:

As long as you have rules, you're good to go. Having a rule about no rules though doesn't count as a rule. :lol

ditch the girlfriend... :lol

24p07pt.gif

Collect what you like > that you have $$$ for > that you have space for.

:goodpost: good points there Filip. I have recently had a change of direction in terms of my collecting. After much deliberation, I had decided to focus my collection on the LSF 1/2 scale line and sell off a big bulk of my 1/4 scale pieces. I think everyone who's a collector has gone through moments where they change their tastes or directions in what they are collecting...ever since purchasing my first LSF which was the SSC Iron Man MKIII last year, I have become hooked on them. A year later and I know have 5 LSFs with 2 more arriving before Christmas. I know for me personally, things can't get better than 1/2 scale Collectibles as they are just so eye catching, detailed and have that sense of being at a museum when you kick your fit back and admire it in the comfort of your living room.

I say, definately have focus on what you want in your collection and stick to that direction. Also, know your limitations in terms of space and finance. For too long I was buying everything I liked and it began to spiral out of control...which in this hobby is a very easy thing to do :exactly::lol

:goodpost: good points there Filip. I have recently had a change of direction in terms of my collecting. After much deliberation, I had decided to focus my collection on the LSF 1/2 scale line and sell off a big bulk of my 1/4 scale pieces. I think everyone who's a collector has gone through moments where they change their tastes or directions in what they are collecting...ever since purchasing my first LSF which was the SSC Iron Man MKIII last year, I have become hooked on them. A year later and I know have 5 LSFs with 2 more arriving before Christmas. I know for me personally, things can't get better than 1/2 scale Collectibles as they are just so eye catching, detailed and have that sense of being at a museum when you kick your fit back and admire it in the comfort of your living room.

I say, definately have focus on what you want in your collection and stick to that direction. Also, know your limitations in terms of space and finance. For too long was I buying everything I liked and it began to spiral out of control...which in this hobby is a very easy thing to do :exactly::lol

You have ascended to an all-new level of collecting with those 1:2 scale LSFs. 2 more on the way this year??? We have like 3 weeks left! That's awesome! :rock :lol

You have ascended to an all-new level of collecting with those 1:2 scale LSFs. 2 more on the way this year??? We have like 3 weeks left! That's awesome! :rock :lol

Thanks my friend, I can only say to those who are considering picking up an LSF sometime down the line that they will be amazed :horror I remember seeing my first 1/4 Premium Format which was 2 years ago and that just blew me away...so imagine what was going through my mind when I first set eyes on the MKIII LSF :thud:

Yep, 2 more LSF's on the way buddy and I'll be posting the first update on one of them tomorrow morning in my display thread :wink1: by the way....it's a bigg'n :panic::horror

Thanks my friend, I can only say to those who are considering picking up an LSF sometime down the line that they will be amazed :horror I remember seeing my first 1/4 Premium Format which was 2 years ago and that just blew me away...so imagine what was going through my mind when I first set eyes on the MKIII LSF :thud:

Yep, 2 more LSF's on the way buddy and I'll be posting the first update on one of them tomorrow morning in my display thread :wink1: by the way....it's a bigg'n :panic::horror

That's really impressive. I'll be sure to keep your collection thread bookmarked! :rock

That's very kind my friend :1-1: and I look forward to your thoughts and comments too. By the way, good to see you back :hi5:

It's sad that Whedonville is leaving us, the dying breed of Buffy fans...but I guess we all have to move on at some point.

I'm 'moving back' in with Marvel! :hi5:

I was going to stay away from 1:2 bust all together. I just have to ignore 1:1 simply due to space and nevermind the money, ha.

Then the details of 1/4 made me want to see the face/character/expression details that much more.

I picked up a few 1:1 Predator masks and were happy with them.
Then I won an Alien Warrior bust. So now I "need" a Big Chap to go with him.
Then I scooped up a Legendary Balrog Bust, since I can probably never get my hands on that HUGE one. :monkey2
Now I am looking at a Venom and Carnage set to go with the other V/C statues. :panic:
I have not even begun to "start" the Star Wars phase yet. :thud:

Back