Media Console Repairs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I didn't say the power supply. If your ps3 didn't have any power that'd be it. If your blue ray only plays DVDs that's the start of a bad laser. What happens is if you keep putting the game in eventually it may play. I was saying the laser is dropping power and not spinning up correctly. Sounds like you need to buy the laser/pickup combo. Its a couple ribbon cables and a few screws once you get to it. You also have to reset the tray back to its original position afterwards by pulling out the big cog, rolling it back and then replacing it. There's quite a few YouTube videos on this. Hope it helps and do not buy a power supply.

Ah, I see! Thanks for the info.

And because I'm not the most knowledgeable on this, when you say 'laser/pickup combo' is that the laser only, laser and drive deck, or the entire bluray drive? There's so many part options on eBay. (And honestly, I don't even know what's worth fixing what).

laser and drive deck my friend. essentially its the laser mounted in its track with aluminum frame, its held down by 4 torx. if you buy the whole unit (unnecessary) itll be your easiest bet but make sure you swap the blueray logic board under the old blueray drive to the new drive (as they are mated to the main board) or after you replace everything it wont recognize a disk at all.

Well, I'd check with the person you sent it to to see if they did it while it was open. If you haven't done the paste ever you're taking a huge risk by not doing it. Ylod is inevitable. Do it.

Got my ps3 back today. Idiots I sent the ps3 for repair to said there was nothing they could do cause my hdmi was dead and the console wasn't recognising controllers. I sent it in for a god damn blueray drive replacement. Got it back and it works just fine except foe the blueray drive. ****ing techcentre, how can a nationwide repair company be so inept?!

wow........................thats fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked up. sorry brother. i dont know what to say about that. id call my credit card company if they dont give you a refund. sounds like they threw something at you cause they couldnt alleviate the problem. it was just too damn ez of a fix. hell, i could have fixed that in like a 1/2 hrish. its not hard at all the full job with paste taking my time would be like 2 hours.

Sorted things out with cc company. I'm going to attempt the fix myself. Blue ray drive replacement should be easy but i'm ******** bricks about reapplying thermal paste. Worried that i'll get too much/ too little on and the console will fry when i turn it on. Either way, should be an interesting experience.

Don't worry brother. Just apply like a 16th of an inch of paste evenly, just enough where the top of the 2 chip sets disappear. Use an old credit/debit card, something flat and very rigid and take your time. Its really actually not all that bad.

Don't worry brother. Just apply like a 16th of an inch of paste evenly, just enough where the top of the 2 chip sets disappear. Use an old credit/debit card, something flat and very rigid and take your time. Its really actually not all that bad.

Is that more efficient that the "pea" method in the centre of the gpu and cpu? I bought artic silver 5 and I read that its a thick compound so spreading it with a card could leave air bubbles once the cpu and gpu are screwed into place. I'm probably overthinking it all :lol

I've never used the pea method. Mine never even makes a sound. I have a slim anyhow. I also modded mine and left the top cover off which is the number 1 reason for the heat. It traps it and the inlets are garbage. They're tiny and the outlet is huge. How the hell they thought that there would be good air flow is beyond me.

Back