Media Console Repairs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
I thought we should have a thread about do-it-yourself repairs for video game consoles. So, have any of you successfully repaired a X-Box 360 or PS3? Post your experiences in here, or discuss what projects you're currently doing.

As for me, I've been using a fat 80 GB PS3 (backward compatible) since 2007. It lasted a miraculous six years, but became problematic a few weeks ago - when the console would automatically turn off after a few minutes of use, and the indicator light would blink red. I thought it was a heating problem, so I opened up the console and replaced the stock thermal paste (which, surprisingly, was still wet!!) with some Arctic Silver 5. However, after closing the console, it doesn't turn on now. I suspect that it may be a problem with the power supply.

I'm still working on the repairs for my fat PS3, and I'll have to buy a new power supply. But, in the mean-time, I've bought a Super Slim PS3 so I can continue on with gaming in the mean time.

Here's a pic I took of the heat-sink after disassembling it. Surprisingly, the stock paste in my 6 year old fat PS3 was still wet. I don't even know how that was possible. But, I did notice that the paste left some weird radial-effects on the GPU chip, and I suspect that it may have been bubbling from improper application of the paste.

IMG_0046.jpg

While I've never changed thermal paste on a machine other than a PC, I've done hundreds of lens cleaning for my consoles and other people's. Ideally, lens should be cleaned in every few months to ensure fast data transfer and excellent sound quality. You also need to lubricate the rail that the lens sits on. I've fixed countless DREs on people's PS1/2/3s this way.

That's why I'm kinda tempted by the super slim PS3, it does make the job a whole lot easier.

I still don't know what that picture means, Solidus. Do you happen join a PC forum or something? I'd love to know what the tech forensics say about that kind of spread.

lens cleaning, lubing the track gears, and thermal paste should be done every year or two depending on your gaming habits. itll save your machine, especially the fat version. its sad when i hear people get mad at sony instead of trying to look at a forum and be proactive. its a mini computer. computers should get the same treatment. oh well.

While I've never changed thermal paste on a machine other than a PC, I've done hundreds of lens cleaning for my consoles and other people's. Ideally, lens should be cleaned in every few months to ensure fast data transfer and excellent sound quality. You also need to lubricate the rail that the lens sits on. I've fixed countless DREs on people's PS1/2/3s this way.

That's why I'm kinda tempted by the super slim PS3, it does make the job a whole lot easier.

I've never cleaned the lens, or greased the rails, but I'm pretty sure my blu ray player is okay - as I've never had any problems with it. But, now that you and Jason mention it, I'll open the drive this weekend to check it out.

I still don't know what that picture means, Solidus. Do you happen join a PC forum or something? I'd love to know what the tech forensics say about that kind of spread.

And yeah, that's a good idea. I usually lurk around Tom's Hardware, but I think this needs an expert opinion. I'll post there later today and tell you I hear.

lens cleaning, lubing the track gears, and thermal paste should be done every year or two depending on your gaming habits. itll save your machine, especially the fat version. its sad when i hear people get mad at sony instead of trying to look at a forum and be proactive. its a mini computer. computers should get the same treatment. oh well.

Well, the problem that I have now, is that after I closed up my PS3, it fails to power on. I read that the controller (right in front of the Blu Ray drive) could be the cause for that, if the ribbon cable was damaged. I think I'll need to take a multimeter and check everything just to be sure.

It might take me a while, but I'm sure that I can get my PS3 up and running again. It'll be a shame if I can't do a simple home repair like this with an Engineering degree >___<

i've had my 80 gig fat ps3 since it came out and i only replaced the hard drive for a 500 gig one and have never had any issues with it but 2 weeks ago wheni started it it read that the console detected an hdmi connection and my wall paper had been reset to the default one, since then its only happened one more time. anybody have an idea of what it could be? not too worried though cuz everything is working fine so i was just wondering. btw, i've checked the cable and it is connected properly to the tv and ps3.

I've replaced the X-Clamp on my old 360 and replaced thermal paste on a few others. That's about all tho. Building a PC right now so console gaming I slowing down for me right now. Except Titanfall, because........Titanfall.

Might be a bad sector on the drive. You should try to go into the diag menu and do a disk repair and whatever doesn't erase and reformat. Your problem may go away.

Love this thread. And wanted to chime in with a question:

I have a slim PS3. Started up, but only recognizes discs (games and Blurays) about 1/3 of the time. It recognizes DVDs with no problem. The games/Blu discs are flawless. I suspect it's the lens on the Blu player....

Any thoughts or advice on what may be the problem?

Yeesh. Hopefully, it's just the lens. I take it that the best way to clean it is to take it apart and clean the lens directly? I saw a few videos on Youtube on how-to, but figured I'd ask here as well.

Question for those of you that have replaced the thermal paste on your console. I have a 40 gb japanese ps3 that I bought in early 2008. Just had the blueray drive die and have sent it in for repair/replacement drive. Other than that, it still runs without any other issues. Should I bother replacing the thermal paste myself once i get it back? Maybe find one of those 19 blade fans for it as well?

Well, I'd check with the person you sent it to to see if they did it while it was open. If you haven't done the paste ever you're taking a huge risk by not doing it. Ylod is inevitable. Do it.

Either you lens is dirty or it is losing power on occasion which means a replace. Sorry bud.

Alright. So I cleaned the lens. No change. But like I said, the drive still plays DVDs.

So here's my question: If I was to fix it, how do I figure out what is wrong at this point? I know you mentioned it possibly being the power supply, but how would I diagnose that?

I'm looking for parts on eBay and see where I can buy just the drive deck OR I can replace the ENTIRE drive (which is about double the cost.) Trying to make a smart move rather than just pour money into it and have nothing work.

No, I didn't say the power supply. If your ps3 didn't have any power that'd be it. If your blue ray only plays DVDs that's the start of a bad laser. What happens is if you keep putting the game in eventually it may play. I was saying the laser is dropping power and not spinning up correctly. Sounds like you need to buy the laser/pickup combo. Its a couple ribbon cables and a few screws once you get to it. You also have to reset the tray back to its original position afterwards by pulling out the big cog, rolling it back and then replacing it. There's quite a few YouTube videos on this. Hope it helps and do not buy a power supply.

Back