Confirmed Upcoming 1/6 Star Wars Releases: Hot Toys & Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Confirmed Upcoming Sideshow Star Wars Releases: 1/6 Figures and Accessories

In less than 2 weeks we can find out what Sideshow displays at their booth, as they're Hot Toy's distributor and HT doesn't have a booth themselves. I'm expecting zero Star Wars from HT.

Well, you must keep in mind Batman as some support due to third installment only a year old and BR/DVD released a few months ago. Star Wars can only rely on its fame. Besides, i'd be interested in knowing haw many of each were produced. That way, we'd have a good basis to compare retail performance for both characters.
Also, i have no doubt Star Wars return to theaters will boost sales back to pre-PT levels.

Anyway, SDCC can't come soon enough so we get a good look at that Anakin...fingers crossed.

Movie-madness is why I suggested we may not see any SW from Hot Toys until 2015. That said, personally, I'd buy a random cantina alien before I'd buy Anakin and I suspect a Han Solo would outsell an Anakin 5-1 (or more) any day of the week. IMO, there just weren't any iconic characters in the prequel movies. Hopefully when they're done the next three they can re-make the first three with completely different story lines to fix the huge pile of dung Lucas left us with.

:goodpost: At one end of the environment, they could include the console that Vader uses the Force on to initiate the Carbon Freezing process when Luke falls into the chamber.

I have always thought that SSC should make more small environments similar to the "Reactor Station Alpha" one that they released. I have that one and wish I had gotten at least one more to use with other figures. It's generic enough that they don't have to label it as "Star Wars" but it can easily be used with them and also be used for other figures you might have.

They should make a generic Death Star wall piece that they could keep the price low on, so if you wanted to get multiples and display them side by side you could kinda have a DS hallway. I doubt SSC would do it but maybe some other company, like Scale Store or somebody, could do something similar.:dunno Maybe something like these.

4ddhi.jpg
Think this would be a great idea. I may even breakdown at some point and make my own.

...That said, personally, I'd buy a random cantina alien before I'd buy Anakin and I suspect a Han Solo would outsell an Anakin 5-1 (or more) any day of the week...
Me too. I don't get their reasoning, either. It was thought that part of the reason Disney kiboshed Clone Wars is because they want to de-emphasize the PT. If that's the case, I don't imagine they'd want HT to bother with an Anakin. At least, that is my hope. I'm fine if HT abandons the PT altogether. :D

Last edited:

I think HT vastly over produced Bespin Luke, much like they did Indy. I also think that BBTS sitting on stock of HT is what prompted Sideshow to change their agreement with how much stock BBTS can now order, which is why they don't have the 10% discount anymore, and everything pre-sells out within hours of going up.

That being said, I would much prefer OT characters from HT than PT. Not that PT doesn't have its place, but in terms of the movie classic characters that deserve the HT treatment, I think the OT takes precedence.

I would think Sideshow is happy that it's BBTS holding stock of excess DX07 and not them. As long as they don't (or can't) return them, that's money secured in Sideshow's pockets. BBTS are the only ones being screwed here because of much lower than expected demand for that release. That said, it is on the high end of the pricing scale at close to $300, even if it is two figures in one box.

There still seem to be plenty of Sideshow/Bandai/Tamashi Nations C-3POs kicking around too - and I suspect those will also still be available at the end of the year.

I think Sideshow's limiting their retailers' orders because they want people to buy directly from them and cut out the competition as much as they can.

Kind of a conflict of interest when you're running a distributorship.

I agree, but I've heard from multiple retailers that Sideshow has severely limited their allotment, imposed strict rules on the discount they can offer to customers, no longer offers drop shipments and basically made it harder for them to make a viable profit with Sideshow products. I'd think Sideshow would want to offload some stuff to their retailers so they can sell some guaranteed product that won't be sitting in their warehouse. However, many of their business practices seem to indicate that they'd prefer to sell product directly to customers at full retail price rather than distribute it.

Removed a few items from the list that have recently gone up for PO... but still no new announcements of what's coming. The Prototype Fett was a surprise though.

This is a very cool idea for a thread G. Thanks for keeping it updated. :duff

Happy to do it... and since the news from Sideshow has slowed it's not too much work :lol

I'm pretty much only interested in OT characters, but there are a few PT guys I've always wished Sideshow would do. I've always wanted them to do a Poggle the Lesser. They seem to be at the point where they could pull him off now, but I'm not sure if they think he'd sell. What do you guys think? Plus I still want Nute Gunray and Rune Haako, we need those two scumbags, man.

I'd imagine Poggle would be waay low on the list of figures and one I'd pass on. A few years ago I might have been tempted, but getting mostly out of the PT he would not come close to making the cut.

I had to look him up to even know who he was. And even then, I still don't recognize/remember that character from the PT at all. That whole arc was so convoluted they should really retcon the whole thing

He's in EPII quite a bit, but that's about it. I thought those bug aliens were pretty weak TBH :lol

Poggle was one of the better alien designs from the prequels, and one of the few figures I'd have to get from the PT. I know I'm probably in the minority though. Still, he's a character that actually had a part in the films, which gives him a slight advantage over most aliens from the series.

I think he's seen during the meeting of the trade federation leaders on Mustafar in EPII, and maybe again at the end of ROTS. Although I think Anakin kills him in the original CW, so maybe that's where his story ended :huh

He dies in Ep3. He's killed on the lava planet with Nute and the others. He'a somewhat important minor character in Ep2. He has lines and interacts with Dooku quite a bit. I've always liked the Geonosian design and he and/or a regular Geonosian would be about the only thing I'd buy from Ep2.

I've been meaning, but dreading, to watch the PT again since I got all of SW in HD. One day...

Haha, I think it's going to be a long time before I watch them again. I tend to not think they so bad the longer it's been since I've seen them. But then I see one again..

Back