Comics to sell...help needed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoboFatt

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I know there are a ton of comic book fans/collectors on the boards and I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I have about 1000 comics to sell and I don't know the best place to do it. Is there a forum or website that I can sell my goods easily and not get robbed blind? I haven't bought a comic in almost 20yrs so I don't know what they're worth. Is there also website that has current values that are pretty accurate? I'll gladly listen to any other tips you guys might have.

I've got a number of bills I need to pay so I'd like to move these comics quickly. Common story, right?

thanks for you help

Unfortunately, unless the comics are older, in good condition, and hopefully key issues, you may not get a lot for them. I've got a little over 7000 comics and am terrified to see what the actual market value for them would be. eBay is the obvious answer for seeing what they're going for now. A comic book store will give you woefully small $$ amount but you may be able to get rid of them in bulk. Also, shipping for a large amount of comics will cost a buyer a ton so that's another obstacle.

Comicbase.com sells database software that tells helps keep track of your collection and shows the value of your collection. It's really comprehensive (I've used it for years) but I haven't actually tried to sell any comics based on the values given in the program.

I believe it's the over street book that has the prices most people go buy.not sure if they have a webpage

I received this advice from a former LCS owner: Go through all of your comics, and, insomuch as you can, separate them into runs of, say, 12 issues. Then put them up on eBay in those 12-issue lots as auctions. Ultimately, your comics are only worth what people will pay for them. And eBay is probably the best bet that you have.

You might only get $5 for each 12-issue run. But do the math, and it's not all bad.

I didn't have much hope to start with and your answers are in line with what I've feared. I'd be happy to get back just the face value for my comics, but even that sounds like a stretch. Thanks for the replies guys.

It's really depends on the comics. Some will be worth more than others, but generally speaking, you probably won't get very much. Unless you have rare incentive covers or some material that's signed by authors and artists (eg. Stan Lee :lol).

I know there are a ton of comic book fans/collectors on the boards and I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I have about 1000 comics to sell and I don't know the best place to do it. Is there a forum or website that I can sell my goods easily and not get robbed blind? I haven't bought a comic in almost 20yrs so I don't know what they're worth. Is there also website that has current values that are pretty accurate? I'll gladly listen to any other tips you guys might have.

I've got a number of bills I need to pay so I'd like to move these comics quickly. Common story, right?

thanks for you help
Stashmycomics.com is a free comic collection database and has updated pricing and a condition parameter to adjust the price for defects. Selling on the other hand is tricky. Most places that will buy an entire collection will only pay a fraction of actual value. The alternative is selling them one at a time which can take forever or leave ypur collection cherry picked.

It's really depends on the comics. Some will be worth more than others, but generally speaking, you probably won't get very much. Unless you have rare incentive covers or some material that's signed by authors and artists (eg. Stan Lee :lol).
Actually even signed comics that aren't graded or don't have an established certificate of authenticity will sell below guide a lot of times because there is no verification.

I received this advice from a former LCS owner: Go through all of your comics, and, insomuch as you can, separate them into runs of, say, 12 issues. Then put them up on eBay in those 12-issue lots as auctions. Ultimately, your comics are only worth what people will pay for them. And eBay is probably the best bet that you have.

You might only get $5 for each 12-issue run. But do the math, and it's not all bad.

I did something like this about 10 years ago. I set up an eBay store and listed my books in lots.

This will be your best bet. Like others have said, unless you have some key issues you won't get much unfortunately.

I parted ways last summer with my Marvel collection(kept all my DC/Batman). Most of them were from the 90's and not worth much. However, there were a few gems in there. Make sure you take the time to go through and see what some are worth. I would have really regretted not checking the value. I used Comicbase to organize them and used Ebay to check value on certain books. Good luck!

You can sell your comics at online stores like eBay and other sites. I've done that a few years ago when I wanted to clear my room so I decided to find new owners for my collection. Or you can advertise on sites like this wherein there are bound to be fellow comic fans present.

Back