Comics similar to The Walking Dead?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not trying to be a hater but I thought Invincible was awful. I read up to issue 15ish and gave up on it. Another to mention of Kirkman's is Thief of Thieves which is not for everyone and is just OK. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE The Walking Dead, one of my favorite titles! But I dont think Kirkman is "that" great of a writer. I would put Lemire, Snyder, Vaughan, Bendis, and Johns in front of Kirkman.

Can't really call a title awful if you only made it to issue 15. The book has over 100 issues. It does take a little while to get sucked into the universe, but once you do it is great. What didn't you like about it? Speaking of Snyder did anybody recommend American Vampire or Severed? Incredible books

I highly recommended American Vampire somewhere in the Printed Word section. But I wouldn't compare it much to TWD so I didnt mention it here.

Yeah, awful may be a bit harsh of a word for what I am getting at. One of my LCS owners is a big invincible fan and he also suggested I read farther. He told me you dont really get sucked in until about issue 40. Thats great and all that in the long term it was a good book, but I dont want to have to read that many issues to "try" to like it you know? And Im not at all trying to knock any Invincible fans out there, not every book is for everyone, this one just wasnt for me; but I did try :) lol. BTW, Im in the middle of reading severed now, I grabbed the series for $10 on ebay.

I get where you are coming from. People have different tastes in books and thats great! More variety. I had my friend pick up the Invincible Omnibus and when he first started he kept asking me seriously you think this book is amazing? a few days later he gets a little farther and he is like holy **** this is amazing :lol How are you liking Severed? I liked it alot. It is definitely a slow burn, but snyder writing is just superb. He is one of the greatest horror writers in comics today. Him and Stephen Kings son who writes Locke and Key are both great. I forget his name. I think it is something hill?

I'm only up to issue 3 in severed. It's cool so far. I really wanted to read Locke and key but I can't find the back issues. They go for too much on ebay. Also I don'tknow where to start in the series. Its like a bunch of minis I think. Do they need to be read In order? Do you know the order?

Snyder also started American vampire with Stephen King. King wrote the Sweet stories in issues 1-5 I think it was.

Yeah King wrote the back stories in issues 1-5. I wish he would do that again with Snyder it was awesome. Locke and Key you can get the trades for pretty cheap that is the way to go in this series imo. The hardcovers are pretty nice. The Order for those are 1: Welcome to Lovecraft 2: Head Games 3: Crown of Shadows 4: Keys to the Kingdom 5: Clockworks and yes read them in order. This reminds me I really need to buy the rest of the trades :lol

Cool, Ill see if I can find them on feebay or my LCS the next time they run a sale. Sometimes my LCS does a 50% off purchases over $50 which is when I try to stock up on the expensive stuff :) Ill try to get the entire set then.

Locke and Key is ridiculously good. And like others have already said, Y, Saga, and Sweet Tooth are great too.

Looks promising... Too bad I just read a major spoiler on amazon :monkey2 :mad:
Hate that!

That is the worst, who was the culprit?, Amazon or a reviewer?. It didn't gain traction in anything like the same way as WD did but it's a good read, I admit to being a huge Keene fanboy but I do feel most WD fanboy (just starting reading WD after all this time!) would still enjoy it.

Pus it's self contained, Keene's writing the last arc now, I think that will take it to a total of 30 issues.

All those Joe Hill comics seem to be super popular with a bazillion variants for them, I can't read that stuff though, I can't stand the art and with such a visual medium as comics both the art and the story has to be good before I can buy something.

That is the worst, who was the culprit?, Amazon or a reviewer?. It didn't gain traction in anything like the same way as WD did but it's a good read, I admit to being a huge Keene fanboy but I do feel most WD fanboy (just starting reading WD after all this time!) would still enjoy it.

Pus it's self contained, Keene's writing the last arc now, I think that will take it to a total of 30 issues.

All those Joe Hill comics seem to be super popular with a bazillion variants for them, I can't read that stuff though, I can't stand the art and with such a visual medium as comics both the art and the story has to be good before I can buy something.

You don't like the art in Locke and Key?? :cuckoo:

You don't like the art in Locke and Key?? :cuckoo:

I just hate that art style of Rodriquez, it makes me puke. Off topic he's supposed to be doing the artwork for a new release of Stephen King's The Shining, but there's been such a stink from King fans after seeing the cover that hopefully the publisher is looking for someone more suitable, comic book artist illustrating novels is often a terrible idea.

It was a reviewer who spoiled it...
Thinking I still might have to check it out. It still looks interesting!
If I wait long enough, I might forget the spoiler :impatient: hehe

I think that about movies sometimes, but I know when I start watching I will quickly remember who dies :lol

If anyone is looking for issues of TWD I am selling a 46 issue lot including 2x ghost variant and the rare 81 variant

Yeah King wrote the back stories in issues 1-5. I wish he would do that again with Snyder it was awesome. Locke and Key you can get the trades for pretty cheap that is the way to go in this series imo. The hardcovers are pretty nice. The Order for those are 1: Welcome to Lovecraft 2: Head Games 3: Crown of Shadows 4: Keys to the Kingdom 5: Clockworks and yes read them in order. This reminds me I really need to buy the rest of the trades :lol

I just finished Welcom to Lovecraft! Amazing story so far!!! Thanks for the recommendation!!!! Why do I feel like Image books always have the best stories.... Vertigo (DC) has some good ones as well (American Vampire, Sweet Tooth, etc.)

I just finished Welcom to Lovecraft! Amazing story so far!!! Thanks for the recommendation!!!! Why do I feel like Image books always have the best stories.... Vertigo (DC) has some good ones as well (American Vampire, Sweet Tooth, etc.)

Glad you enjoyed it! :hi5: Actually Locke and Key is through IDW I believe, but no I do agree with you. Image handsdown the best publisher right now. I enjoy Vertigo as well, but they don't come close to Image.

Back