Comic Book Icon,Michael Turner Passes Away at 37 ...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this is unbelievable. This guy has been an inspiration to many and I for one will cherish all of the work I have of his.
His Art is visually stunning and beautiful and I'm sad he is no longer with us, but he will be remembered through his creations, his courage, his commitment and generosity to his fans.

My thoughts are with his family, friends & Aspen.

RIP Mr Turner :bow
x

Last edited:
Man....like this cover wasn't already going to be difficult to get:

XMEN-500_Turnercov1a.jpg

and I'll always remember these great ones from Turner:

ASS_08_prv533_pg1-.jpg

Sad news indeed. :(

I feared that he wasn't doing very well when he opted out of WWC this year.

I meet him at WWC a few years back and he was very friendly. A real class act that treated his fans great. He seemed like a real down-to-earth guy and absolutely LOVED his job.

I'm still amazed at how fast he could drawn a sketch, about 3-4 minutes, with the kind of detail that his "style" demanded. It's even more spectatular when you think how long it takes other artists like Jim Lee.

Damn.... I always found his story to be so inspiring. That he was fighting it so strongly, and never forgetting his art. Terrible to hear that it got worse again and he's passed. Michael was a very nice guy, and incredibly talented. He was one of those guys that always remained positive and never got a huge head. He will be missed greatly...:duff

I met Michael Turner at a Con about 10 years ago. My 11 year old cousin was an aspiring comic book illustrator and had given me a number of his drawings. I took my cousin's art to the Con and asked Turner if he'd sign them and I explained who they were for. He was genuinely enthusiastic about my cousin's talent and wrote something to the effect of "Wow! Awesome art! See you at Image one day soon!" It was just a really cool thing and my cousin was thrilled to see that he had written that. Sad news.

Man that sucks. I knew he had cancer and was struggling recently. I met him briefly at WW Chicago last year. I purchased one of his original art and he signed it along with the book. He surely will be missed.

The first time I volunteered at Wizard World Philly was 2005 and I worked the autograph section. The last person of the day was Chris Claremont who had just replaced J. Michael Straczynski who had unfortunately not left anymore autograph pens. As a worshiper of Claremont I ran to the booth next to him and asked if he could spare a few pens. It was Michael Turner and he gladly gave up half of his pens.

Turner laughed when I told him Claremont was out of pens and said to his buddy sitting next to him that Straczynski never leaves pens behind.

Later that day once I was off duty I went to Turner's booth after everyone else had left and told him how I loved his rendition of Supergirl. I think I told him she was one juicy pudding. He laughed so I asked if he could do a quick drawing of her on my Wizard World Volunteer t-shirt, he said drawing on shirts was kind of hard, I said it did not have to be complicated, just maybe a small pic of her face, I wouldn't care if no one else knew who it was; I would know it was Supergirl. He took 5 mins and drew a dead on side profile of the Girl of Steel. It really made my day.

Michael Turner was and still is one of the modern day super stars of comics. Even though his work lately has been limited to covers for Fantastic Four amoungst others he is immediatley recognizable. His female artwork is, IMHO, the best there is today. What added to the greatness of his work is that, when you meet him he comes across as a real person who did not buy into all of the hype. He will be sorely missed.

I haven't really followed comics too much the last 2 years, outside of the monthly Thor and Buffy books. The last I knew he had been doing variant covers for Marvel books. I knew he had battled cancer in the past but I wasn't aware that he was still having problems with it. I was very surprised, and saddened, when I found out the news this morning. He will be missed. :(

I agree with Piccolo. Micheal Turner drew the finest female artwork next to Silvestri.

I got the chance to meet Mr. Turner at last year's comic con and I was glad that my brother and I fought our way in from the busy crowd just to meet with him.

Rest in peace Mr. Turner.

Wow he really was young. I didnt know he had cancer...

My prayers go out to his family in their time of need....

You forgot Stevens too! We had already just lost Dave Cockrum when we learned of Dave Stevens recently. I just learned of Turner from the paper.

Stevens and Turner were two of my favorite artists ever. Two of the nicest artists I have ever met.

In the world of pop culture, they will be sorely needed and missed.

I just read about this today and was really caught off guard by it because I had thought he had overcome his struggle with cancer several years back.

It was really sad to read that he has passed on. I always admired his artwork, whether it was for Marvel, DC or his own work and thought that he had great inspirations and ideas for his own creations. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but from everything I've read about him he seemed to be an amazing individual.

It's strange to think we'll only see one more drawing from him in the coming weeks.

MICHAEL TURNER TRIBUTE AT SAN DIEGO COMIC CON
Michael Turner Tribute Planned for Sunday at SDCC

By The Wizard Staff
Posted 7/15/2008

MICHAEL TURNER TRIBUTE AT SAN DIEGO COMIC CONFollowing the recent tragic passing of artist and creator Michael Turner on July 27th, 2008, Aspen MLT, Inc. is planning a very special tribute at the San Diego Comic-Con on Sunday from 1:00 pm - 2:30. Aspen Comics highly encourages any industry colleagues and fans wishing to pay their respects and help honor Michael Turner's life both inside and out of comics to attend this special tribute event.

In addition to Michael Turner's family and close friends and co-workers, Aspen will be honoring Turner's legacy with a host of special guest speakers from the comic book industry and beyond, all who were touched by Turner in some form or fashion in his tremendous life. As well, Aspen will be revealing an inspirational look into Turner's life and career throughout the tribute.

For more information on this special Michael Turner memoriam, please check www.AspenComics.com or visit the Aspen Comics Booth at San Diego Comic-Con booth #2321.

Back