Colossal Announcement?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if perhaps Stan Winston's passing has had an effect on how SWS deals with licensees. Universal has the rights I'm sure but I wonder if SWS is involved at all.
It wouldn't have anything to do with the rights when it comes to Stan Winston's passing. Universal (and to a profit-sharing extent, Amblin) have complete control over that. But we do know that Sideshow liked to work directly with Winston on products based on his designs, so you never know. That couldn't be the reason behind this decision, though, because then that would also imply no more Terminator, Alien, Predator, et al. Hell, even the Crystal Skull from KOTCS is a Winston Studios design.

Still, I think in large part Sideshow banks on familiarity and popularity, as should be expected. They get products from Marvel, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Predator, Aliens, Hellboy, etc., and with Jurassic Park thrown into the mix, I think that SSC was likely considering that not only that there would be an almost universal familiarity among their collector base, but an affinity for the SWS dinosaurs. It seemed the wise move, appealing to JP fans, dino fans, movie enthusiasts, and lovers of SWS. The regular edition is available, but if I had missed out on the pre-order, I would be holding out for the exclusive to become available... as I know a few JP fans are doing, since they missed the initial pre-order. The exclusive banner is what the piece is so aptly named for and is a really iconic feature of that scene. When my girlfriend saw the initial pictures (and bear in mind she finds my collecting hobby largely excessive, but she deals with it... and nurtures it... quite nicely) she said, "You know, I wouldn't have bought half of the things that you have, but this is something that looks cool enough that I would get it for myself." That in mind, she also said the exclusive would be what she would go for, if she ever got around to purchasing it; odds of her getting it are probably slim. She doesn't often spend money on herself, but is lavish with her loved ones, which, I might add, I'm not complaining about. :D

If they wanted to create dinosaurs, it would seem the wiser move to appeal to a large number of demographics as opposed to just paleo-lovers.

Last edited:
Well, from a business standpoint, could make sense. Regular edition of the JP dio is still available, like 8 months later. JP is a license and requires kickback to the license holder. If SSC took on JP wanting to make cool dinosaur pieces, but feels that the sales of such can't support a licensed line, then going off from a license and doing your own thing is a way to accomplish that.

So what you're saying is that sales problems of a Dio with a weak Exclusive, wrong PJ on the Prototype and some sculpting imperfections when compared to the screen props should be an excuse to dump a licence with so much potential? Give me a break here!

Just for the sake of it I'll draw the 'SWS T-Rex Maquette' card again as seen in the Winston Effect:

Rex.jpg

So what you're saying is that sales problems of a Dio with a weak Exclusive, wrong PJ on the Prototype and some sculpting imperfections when compared to the screen props should be an excuse to dump a licence with so much potential? Give me a break here!

Just for the sake of it I'll draw the 'SWS T-Rex Maquette' card again as seen in the Winston Effect:

Rex.jpg

Winston Effect = MAGNIFICENT Book! To any SWS fan who doesn't have it, I highly recommend it. You couldn't possibly ask for more information about Stan's creatures!

Also, love that maquette of the female T.rex from TLW, and the baby T.rex next to her is cool as well. I'd prefer to have a maquette of the TLW male T.rex, or the original JP T.rex, if and when we get a statue/maquette.

Also, the thought just occurred to me when I was looking for an image of the life-size Deinonychus replicas for FelMar, that if SSC could produce a statue/dio along these lines, I'd be a happy camper.
trex_diorama_10xl.jpg

trex_diorama_11xl.jpg

Though I'll still stand firm that SSC, having the capacity to deliver high quality JP products, should deliver in that area.

Last edited:
Scar-

that's a great statue that oxmox has :cool:
The price isn't too bad either...I'm sure shipping would be killer though.

I really hope SSC comes thru with some more JP pieces...there is so much potential !

Me too, they can definitely take a page from Oxmox when it comes to detail and dynamism in their work. I'm hoping SSC does something up to that level with their new line.

Me too, they can definitely take a page from Oxmox when it comes to detail and dynamism in their work. I'm hoping SSC does something up to that level with their new line.

Do people really prefer that T-Rex diorama over the SSC JP one? I think the SSC one is much more dynamic and better sculpted, but I haven't seen the Oxmox in person.

Do people really prefer that T-Rex diorama over the SSC JP one? I think the SSC one is much more dynamic and better sculpted, but I haven't seen the Oxmox in person.

I think the dynamic aspect, and I'd concur, that people are preferring over the SSC piece is the gesture of the Rex in the other piece, it's in more action, jerking it's head about, looks to even be about to run or something, where the SSC pose is more like a cat playing with a dead mouse. I love the SSC dio, but I can see where pieces with creatures like this could be even cooler caught in poses that better suggest life and movement to the creatures.

yep .. thats what I'm waiting for in the sideshow piece for me , probably a trex maquette if they make one.
I would love it to be based on when its chasing the truck ! :rock

It really depends whom you talk to. Took the liberty of messaging some of my friends on this. One of them is a paleontologist of several years now, and he vastly prefers the oxmox version; he says he's never seen the "basic" paintjob, but the "Earth" version of the dio is awesome. Two other friends, one in grad school for paleontology and the other a zoologist, both say they like the SSC JP dio much better, but have never seen the oxmox in person. Still, since none of us have seen the SSC dio in person yet, it may be premature to judge.

Seems like everyone is divided rightfully on it, but I very much like the JP pose making it appear triumphant but still in the midst of battle. The oxmox is awesome, but if I had to choose to have one over the other, I'd go with JP, not just for price but because it is the first high quality JP collectible, and one which, in my opinion, captures the likenesses and mood of the scene beautifully.

yep .. thats what I'm waiting for in the sideshow piece for me , probably a trex maquette if they make one.
I would love it to be based on when its chasing the truck ! :rock

With this new announcement, I've just about given up hope for JP product from Sideshow, it doesn't make much sense to have 2 dinosaure lines running simultaneously, especially both being dioramas. This new line is probably the death of JP.

With this new announcement, I've just about given up hope for JP product from Sideshow, it doesn't make much sense to have 2 dinosaure lines running simultaneously, especially both being dioramas. This new line is probably the death of JP.

so you think its dino related and not jp or am I mistaken ?.
If not JP what else could it be ?.
If you think surprisingly theres not really much stuff popular enough to deserve its own line is there ?.
If this is some crappy dinosaur series full of crappy special effects here to replace Jurassic Park I'm gonna go crazy !. :monkey4:monkey1:monkey2

I still really do think this is JP.

so you think its dino related and not jp or am I mistaken ?.
If not JP what else could it be ?.
If you think surprisingly theres not really much stuff popular enough to deserve its own line is there ?.
If this is some crappy dinosaur series full of crappy special effects here to replace Jurassic Park I'm gonna go crazy !. :monkey4:monkey1:monkey2

I still really do think this is JP.

Did you read the newsletter?

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_i...e=newsletter-pers-101608news&utm_medium=email

So if I understand the NL correctly this is a line of independently done Dinos like they did with The Dead in terms of Zombie figures?

that sucks for me. I have a feeling theres even less of a chance of seeing jp stuff now.
I see what you were saying now Sean...:monkey2:monkey2

So if I understand the NL correctly this is a line of independently done Dinos like they did with The Dead in terms of Zombie figures?

Ya, sounds like they'll be like conceptual pieces based off factual information, inspired by real information, their own license.

that sucks for me. I have a feeling theres even less of a chance of seeing jp stuff now.
I see what you were saying now Sean...:monkey2:monkey2

Yup, sucks for JP fans, but odds seem quite slim that they'd run a product line with license fees while making a nearly identical line without fees.

I've seen the JP dio and the thing that struck me is that it looks so small, especially when displayed among other statues (which I think with a lot of collectors it will be).

Considering the dimensions it's not that small in itself, just a litter smaller than the Iron Man Comiquette for example, but seeing this is a large Dino compared to Iron Man being 'just a guy', the scale puts it out of proportion. It gives the same effect as putting a SS/W LOTR piece (1/6) in between two PFs (1/4), or worse.

Point I'm trying to make here, being no dino expert so disregarding the details of the sculpt, is that if you want to display the JP piece somewhere by itself it makes for an awesome statue. But if you are forced to display it amongst other large pieces, it might disappoint by it's size. The Oxmox piece is bigger so I can see why some people prefer that.

Getting back on topic, I like the idea of SS starting it's own dino line. I don't feel the JP license has helped boost sales a lot/ enough seeing the piece isn't even with a low quantity alert yet. Having their own line gives a lot of freedom to produce some cool pieces, and saving some money which can be used in production, a lower ES or some extra profit which can be diverted to giveaways ;)

"This new line of proprietary designs will include a wide range of Dinosaur species in engaging diorama compositions of the primordial struggle to survive, as well as individual study maquettes presenting moments of definitive power and grace"

Apparently it's not what I was thinking
95746895xq9.png

Back