Collecting SW figures in the '90s

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God I remember all of that. :eek::eek::eek:

I was lucky and got one of those rare Jedi Luke's that was released as a bonus to movie theaters when the special editions came out. I ended up selling it on ebay for $$$$$. :D

I was smart though and got out once Hasbro switched over to the green cards. It got just too crazy to try and collect the figures. I remember reading in the paper where a guy tacked a lady at TRU trying to get one of those 1/6 Han/Tauntaun sets. :duh

I also remember finding Corn Pops boxes with holes in them at work. Corn Pops had the Han in Stormtrooper disguise figure promo. People would come into my store and literally rip off the UPC and order forms off the boxes and leave the boxes with holes in them on the shelf.

Last edited:
Well, both me and my wife we're both rabid Star Wars collectors. We both started collecting the stuff in 1995 and on, and then combined our collections when we got married in 2000. We continued to collect until sometime around 2005 or 2006, then it just hit us. We had 4 rooms in our house dedicated to Star Wars, and it was only going to get bigger. So we grew up and got out of the game. We sold everything on eBay with the exception of my Vintage stuff I grew up with in the 80's and the VOTC line that Hasbro released sometime in 2004-2006.

I even went so far as to sell my Stormtrooper Armor and resign from the 501st.

Wow, I remember all of this craziness too. I never took part in it, but it was so embarrassing to be associated with as a collector that it actually made me lose interest in Star Wars (even the original Kenner stuff which I started picking up in the early 1990's) until Sideshow came around with its 1:6 line.

I can't believe I actually remember some of this stuff. Half circle Boba, Orange/Green Card, Short lightsabers, & .00/.01. I remember my heart skipping a beat when I first saw the X-Wing released in the winter of 95and buying it with all my x-mas money along with Tattooine Luke & Dinobot.

That article makes me want to barf.

I'd also like to build a time machine, go back 10-13 years, and kick my own ass.

I am at least slightly comforted by knowing I escaped that lunacy some time ago. :lol

lol, glad I missed out on this. Too busy with high school and university (starting in '97) for those. I remember ALMOST picking up one, though. Glad I never got bit by the bug, because I remember thinking they looked awesome.

I didn't do any of those things in the article. I only bought the first wave of the POTF figures because there had been a long dry spell with no SW toys at the time, and I was excited to get anything. I knew they looked terrible back then, but at least it was SW! If I would have known that the line would explode like it did, I would have at least waited til they made the non-muscle versions!

Why do I feel good that the prices crashed? I would get in line to get a few figures I wanted, and some crazy person would scoop up every Darth Maul. all I wanted is to have him on my desk. Like Maulfan resale is not the intent for buying. I'm with you..

hey swim...good to see you around still. I still have those dvd's you sent me years ago. Thanks for that again. We still watch some of them.

the real question is why do we still have this stuff in our basements, closets and under our beds...I recently moved and didn't even realize how much crap i bought during the late 90's. that's is all i have to say about that.

thank goodness for Sideshow and the other companies.

the real question is why do we still have this stuff in our basements, closets and under our beds?

Not me. What I couldn't sell, trade or give away, I used to recreate this scene:

pyre02.jpg

Catharsis and cleansing!!

Also, I still keep a few carded POTF2 figures around for things like Halloween. Every kid who comes to my door wearing a SW costume will get one.

that is a great idea. I gave most of my stuff to local charities for xmas but still have a bunch lying around...

I NEVER got into variations collecting. Most of them I thought were BS. But what's funny is I was just trolling on craigslist and someone near me is selling off all his figures- and he's listing the .00 .01 .03!

It got me laughing!

To be honest I had no idea that people got worked up about things like that. I don't even really understand why anyone would want to buy the same exact figure in different packages, much less the same figure with a very minor change to the wording on the back (or whatever).

I will admit tho, until 2001 I bought 3 of every figure. 2 to put back, one to open. For some reason, the summer of 01 I just stopped buy several of each. Just seemed like too much money to spend. I still buy the single small figs, the sculpting on them has gotten so much better.

Back