Collecting for Investment

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who aren't making upwards of 20% profit out of this hobby aren't trying hard enough. The slow preorder sales of Finn prove it. He's a goldmine waiting to happen.

check my sales thread: Hot Toys Suckerpunch Amber, Hot Toys Casual Bruce Lee, Hot Toys Sleepy Hollow Ichabod Crane, Hot Toys Avatar Jake Sully

:bunnydanc:lol:bunnydanc

Precious metals are just a store of wealth, not an investment. I would look at these high-end action figures in the same regard.

While many out of stock collectibles go for very high prices on eBay, you also have to look at whether they sell. I've been keeping track of a number of pieces I'd like to get, and all I see are the same 2-5 items that stay there for months without selling, because I (and I assume others) aren't willing to pay that much.

I just read an article that said LEGO sets appreciate in value BETTER than gold actually. Buy all the LEGO sets. Keep them mint and sealed. Wait ten years. Sell them for huge profits.

This will probably be the death-knell of LEGO collecting. . . reminds me when all the news stories talked about all the Beanie Babies selling for high prices.

I love the regularity of these threads. Toys aren't an investment. Buy what you like because you like it.

I love the regularity of these threads. Toys aren't an investment. Buy what you like because you like it.

But don't forget to ask for a replacement if your shipper box has extremely minor damage, or worse yet, freight stickerage on the box... :lecture :panic:

There are a couple things I might be selling soon. When I do, I will PM you to inform you how these collectibles are an investment, sure to skyrocket in value in the near future.

But don't forget to ask for a replacement if your shipper box has extremely minor damage, or worse yet, freight stickerage on the box... :lecture :panic:

Never understood that. I seriously don't. A box is there to protect the goodies within. That's it's job, and as long as it does that, when I unbox, it's function is done.

I bought a new router a little while back. D-Link DSL2900-AL. Best packaging I've ever seen, figure, electronic part, whatever. Seriously slick, and beautiful. Even had a cloth hinge. I was really impressed. Quality through and through.

It went into the recycling bin as soon as I confirmed the goodies inside were working correctly. It's just a box.

Toy or collectible packaging isn't like a consumable product packaging, it has a tradition.

Toy or collectible packaging isn't like a consumable product packaging, it has a tradition.

:goodpost:

Creatively posed those cardboard shippers make great 'in hand' photos ..and crammed to bursting into your loft space, all that cardboard is excellent added insulation, so it saves you money on your heating bills (for only a marginally increased risk of death, by blazing inferno)..probably

I think this photo adds a certain minimalist, je-ne-sais-quoi to the innate Starkness of the figure, while still paying homage to the post-modern brutalism of consumer society.

:goodpost:

Creatively posed those cardboard shippers make great 'in hand' photos ..and crammed to bursting into your loft space, all that cardboard is excellent added insulation, so it saves you money on your heating bills (for only a marginally increased risk of death, by blazing inferno)..probably

I think this photo adds a certain minimalist, je-ne-sais-quoi to the innate Starkness of the figure, while still paying homage to the post-modern brutalism of consumer society.

:clap nice work Taibhse. We need a 'Show your shippers' thread.

Action figs', comics books, records, etc...yeah all good investments in the short term...potentially. Yeah you might pick up a rare fig and sell it on in a year or two for a small mark up but I wouldn't go holding onto a bunch of hard to store, maintain and manage 1:6 scale toys for 10 years in the hope to retire on them.

Comics and records already have this beat for two reasons-easier to obtain and far simpler to manage 1000+ comics or records than that many 1:6 scale figs. Plus comics of short runs and low print numbers typically do a lot better in short term re sale mark up from what I have seen anyway and only cost about 5bucks per issue-not nearly 3-400 like a Hot Toy and these days have much much smaller 1st edition runs than a standard HT fig run.

But really both have the potential to drain a bank account and offer little to absolutely not financial return. My advice for investing? See a reputable finantial planner and just enjoy the toys for what they are.

Better off with real estate or dividend paying stock
Cash flow is king

SHORT term and I mean SHORT term HT are great if you buy the right ones and flip- need I say Han and Chewy? However these might drop in the next year or so ...alot of HT figures can be bought 30% LOWER than retail if they aren't in demand.

Look at all the limited toy fair IM figures- people dropped alot of cash on them yet can't get 20% over what they paid- too much cash tied up with small demand. All because Ht keeps pumping out variations and the flipping game has dried up on them.

Back