Code 3 Millennium Falcon: Backordered...In Stock 1st Dec'05

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: re

especially for the type of customers that usually go to Walmart

Not sure what you mean by that. I make anywhere between 45 - 55 a year and I do 98% of my shopping at Walmart. My attorney, massage therapist, doctor, and my real estate agent shop there as well. I've seen all "types" of people from all "types" of professions shop there, so just what type of people do you mean?

jdonoho:

I agree. While I do go to Walmart because of the prices and the convenience, if I happen to see something the I need, like, or want for that price (lawnmower, TV, Xbox, bikes, bedding, seating, etc.) it's nice to have it all in one place. :)

Sure if they put one in a nice part of town that's the people that will go to Walmart. Try some down here and not to many of your lawyer or doctor friends would be cought dead in them.

Take a ride to Arizona, the only place they put a Walmart is in the ghetto. There has to be a reason for that, like those are the types of customers they are trying to attract. Every time I go to one I feel like I need to wear a bullet proof vest. I hate Walmart for many more reasons then just the homeless poeple that hang out in front of them by the truck loads, or the barefoot snot nosed kids running around tearing stuff up unchecked. Customer service is a joke there. At any time I have ever went there ther seems to be about 100 customers for every employee to help them. Don't even get me started on their busines practices.

You have a nice Walmart near you, great. The ones around here are trashy and unclean. It's not that hard with "all those" employees to at least keep your store clean is it. Any time I need to go to a store of that type I go to Target. At least around me they are in better neighborhoods and are cleaner and offer a more enjoyable shopping experiance. I am by no means "sbove" shopping at Walmart but I have no desire to endanger my family while doing so.

Well anyway that's my opinion on the matter.

Jesse

I definitely agree with Jesse on this. While I don't ever feel physically threatened in Wal-Mart, it's a pretty bad argument that it caters to high-end customers. Sure wealthy people may shop there, but the entire Wal-Mart business model is geared towards cheap items.

This exact business model is why mid-level stores like Sears have so much trouble these days. People tend to go to Target and Wal-Mart for the cheap stuff and Tiffany's and Prada for the expensive. When they want cheap things they go to Wal-Mart, and they go to specialty places for the expensive. The Wal-Mart demographic is much more skewed to the "Mullet and Camaro" crowd than someone likely to buy a plasma TV or a high-end collectible.

Put it this way, would you go there to buy a TV, computer, etc. HELL NO! If you did, I can guarantee you that I can find a vastly superior model for just a few dollars more if not for the same price.

While I do go to Walmart because of the prices and the convenience, if I happen to see something the I need, like, or want for that price (lawnmower, TV, Xbox, bikes, bedding, seating, etc.) it's nice to have it all in one place.

You can't base the Wal-Mart customer base on what you and a handful of friends do. I buy all kinds of stuff at Wal-Mart, but I definitely don't consider myself their normal customer. Why do you think they have so many full-screen DVD's? :lol

Ok, so you're just refering to the Walmart near where you live only. When you made this comment:

especially for the type of customers that usually go to Walmart.

You gave the impression that you meant all people who shop at all Walmart's.

it's a pretty bad argument that it caters to high-end customers.

Yet, they sell MR and Code 3 products.

People tend to go to Target and Wal-Mart for the cheap stuff

I would think people actually go there to buy inexpensive stuff. At least, that's why I go there.

The Wal-Mart demographic is much more skewed to the "Mullet and Camaro" crowd than someone likely to buy a plasma TX or a high-end collectible.

That may be true, but that doesn't mean there aren't some who would.

Put it this way, would you go there to buy a TV

Actually, I have. I bought two 32" Panny Flat Screens for my daughters rooms.

You can't base the Wal-Mart customer base on what you and a handful of friends do.

I wouldn't say friends. Just people I do business with. But, I agree; and, you can't base the Wal-Mart customer base as a certain "type" just because someone has a crappy Wal-Mart near them. ;) Like I said, all types of people from all types of profession's shop there.

Wow I shop at Walmart

As for Sears OVERPRICED!!! Only good thing is their tools the rest is so overpriced, they are the reason why they are having a hard time.

Ok, so you're just refering to the Walmart near where you live only. When you made this comment:

Well I was refering to every Walmart I have ever been in actually. But yes I have lived here all of my life.

You gave the impression that you meant all people who shop at all Walmart's.

Actually I said "usually" I am sure you know there is no one blanket statement for everyone

Yet, they sell MR and Code 3 products.

Well they try :lol obviously they don't sell them to well if they have to start loosing money on them.

I would think people actually go there to buy inexpensive stuff. At least, that's why I go there.

Yup me to, socks toiletries is about all I will go there for.

That may be true, but that doesn't mean there aren't some who would.

Like he said, thats their "target" customer not that is their only customer.

Actually, I have. I bought two 32" Panny Flat Screens for my daughters rooms.

I deal in electronics for a living and Walmart is the last place I would buy anything electronic. But to each his own.

I wouldn't say friends. Just people I do business with. But, I agree; and, you can't base the Wal-Mart customer base as a certain "type" just because someone has a crappy Wal-Mart near them. ;) Like I said, all types of people from all types of profession's shop there.

I don't have A crappy Walmart near me I have 10 and they are all the same. I am sure they won't miss my business one bit but I expect better service and cleaner stores even if the prices are a few cents higher.

Jesse

Actually I said "usually"

And, you left out that you only meant the 10 Walmart stores you shop at which is why I asked what you meant by your comment. Like I said, all types, all types of profession's. :)

Well they try :lol obviously they don't sell them to well if they have to start loosing money on them.

Why would they have to start losing money on them? You mean if they start losing money on them? If so, I have no idea if they are losing money on MR and Code 3 products. It's certainly possible, but none of us know for sure since none of us know what these items are purchased at. If you have the data to back that up though, I'd like to see it.

Like he said, thats their "target" customer not that is their only customer.

Didn't say that was their only customer. I simply pointed out that even though they may cater to the Mullet having Camaro driving customer, there are still people who would buy the more expensive products there.

I deal in electronics for a living and Walmart is the last place I would buy anything electronic. But to each his own.

I worked (now retired) in High-End Custom Home Theater Design and Installation for over 10 years as a design and installation manager. I have no problem buying electronics from Walmart; but to each his own. ;) :)

WOW I shop at Walmart

Cool dude! How about I pick U up in my Camaro, and we can get our mullets trimmed while we are there. ;) :rollin

Here's an interesting article on the subject worth reading:

Wal-Mart sets sights on Target
By Lorrie Grant, USA TODAY

BENTONVILLE, Ark. — Among the more out-of-character things Wal-Mart Stores CEO H. Lee Scott has been talking up lately is the retailer's quest for more sales to more-affluent shoppers.

To do it, the company's Wal-Mart (WMT) chain — which has built an empire out of going for the biggest discounts for the most price-conscious shoppers — is working to overhaul its merchandise mix, stores and image in hopes of snagging a share.

"Our mistake was that we just kept our focus on how to get better value for that person who's under so much pressure," says Scott, explaining the strategy in an interview with USA TODAY.

Scott says that he has no intention of slighting those core customers — he's just looking beyond at other opportunities to boost growth in sales, earnings and share price. While Wal-Mart continues to post record sales totals overall, Scott is under some pressure. Investors have seen their shares sag about 7.3% in the past year, while the Standard and Poor's 500 index is up 12.5%. Meanwhile, the chain struggled some this spring to keep monthly sales growth for comparable stores up to expectations.

In Your Opinion

One big factor was rising gasoline prices, which taxed its core customers' budgets. Such hits could be eased, he says, if the chain increased its appeal for customers less sensitive to such economic knocks.

Scott says many of those folks already are among the 100 million shoppers who come into Wal-Mart's U.S. stores every week. He points to sales of big-ticket items such as a Panasonic 50-inch TV for $2,484 as proof that he has customers with discretionary dollars. But more typically, such customers are cruising the aisles with food, paper products, health and beauty aids and cleaning supplies.

Apparel and home goods — discretionary products that carry a higher profit margin and add to the size of the average transaction — are less likely to be in the more-upscale shoppers' carts. Now, Scott, 56, wants them to be able to find something appealing in every department. "The first thing you have to do is make sure that you have the assortment that is broad enough that includes that customer's tastes and styles. That's where you end up with the new LCD TV, 400-thread-count sheets and with more fashion," he says.

Then he has to persuade them to look, and among the things that will require polishing is the discounter's image.

Andrea Warren, an event planner in Houston, loves Wal-Mart for cleaning and beauty products and also recently spent $125 on computer cable and memory cards. But she keeps her Wal-Mart habit to herself. "It is my dirty little secret," says Warren, 32, who says Wal-Mart isn't "socially approved" like Target, which is known for its "cheap chic."

That's the kind of brand perception Scott knows he must change.

Beyond that, he knows he has to address the company's social responsibility image, which has taken recent hits and is a target for unions trying to organize the workers at the nation's largest private employer.

Curt Barnett, a tax and insurance manager in Long Beach, says reports of low pay and other issues have kept him out of the stores. "As the world's largest retailer, they could set a much higher bar for community support and involvement, employee benefits and work environment, corporate and
environmental responsibility," says Barnett, 34.

Scott has mounted a counterattack on such criticisms. "Where the critics are correct, you change. And when what you're doing is right for your company, you explain it and get on down the road, taking care of customers," says the 26-year company veteran who's been in the top job for nearly six years.

Wal-Mart tended not to offer such explanations in the past, he says. "The (negative) publicity that we didn't speak to over a period of years has not helped us at all. What we're doing today is getting our message out. There are things about us that you may not like, but you can't just listen to the
anti-Wal-Mart argument."

Scott has made himself a much more visible spokesman for the company, which also has launched a Web site on its business practices and this year hosted its first event for the media at its Bentonville, Ark., headquarters.

Target's customer is one target

For the chain's style image, or lack of it, the big rival is Target. That discounter's deals with several designers have produced apparel and home goods that have built a reputation for "cheap chic." That has brought more upscale customers and wider profit margins.

About 45% of Target's merchandise consists of discretionary items —furniture, electronics, sporting goods, entertainment, apparel — vs. 30% for Wal-Mart, estimates Jeffrey Klinefelter, retail analyst at Piper Jaffray.

"By providing up-to-date, trend-right fashions to its customers, Target has established itself as the apparel destination of the discount channel," he says.

Target chose to go more upscale with style at a discount, rather than try to go head-to-head on prices with the giant Wal-Mart buying-and-distribution machine. The Minneapolis-based retailer's heritage as former department store operator Dayton Hudson, whose subsidiaries included Marshall Field's,
brought experience and flair in merchandising, display and service to the discount level.

The recipe continues to be a success. In the past 12 months, Target averaged about 5.1% same-store sales growth, compared with 2.4% for Wal-Mart, says Gint Rimas, senior analyst at Thomson Financial. The last time Wal-Mart's
sales at stores open at least a year grew more than Target's was May 2004. Rimas adds that Target, with 1,300 stores and $47 billion in sales, has more room for percentage growth than Wal-Mart, with 3,700 stores and sales of $285 billion.

Investors have bid up Target's stock nearly 31% in the past year, as Wal-Mart's stock declined, and that has added to the sense of urgency for Scott and his company.

Shop Simple

Find a wide selection of glittering, shimmering gifts for any occasion.

Online Shopping From Major Retailers "While turning a battleship is not easy, there is clear determination and urgency across the ranks," says Goldman Sachs analyst Adrianne Shapira.

Strategy for turning the ship

Elements of Wal-Mart's campaign for more higher-margin, discretionary sales:

•New marketing. A national campaign of slicker ads recently rolled out with, for example, kids in cool athletic wear on a basketball court and a young professional in career wear from the chain's George line. The focus is the style — and Wal-Mart's trademark yellow smiley face from its price-cutting
ads is not in these ads.

"Their (ad) strategy, which has been about price,convenience and friendly people, will have to be course-corrected to be appropriate for fashion," says Julie Cottineau, executive director of consumer branding at Interbrand.

More dramatic changes might be needed, she says. "Because they have come from so many other categories that are accessible commodity goods, this is a really big leap for them. And they would have to do something really disruptive to get credibility, such as bring on a well-known designer like Donna Karan or Calvin Klein to do discount brands."

•Better execution in stores. Changes from tidier sales floors to faster checkout are underway. The way Scott sees it, messy stores are mainly a local management issue. But Eduardo Castro-Wright, COO and former head of Wal-Mart de Mexico, has been made responsible for making sure stores are
neat and offer better ambience.

"Eduardo is working through his management team to make sure that we have the appropriate standards and that we're holding people accountable for what those stores look like," says Scott. But he doesn't underestimate the challenge, either. "In cases of an extraordinarily high-volume store, tidy
might be a word that you don't ever reach, but it certainly will look clean, will look organized and look in control."

The company also has moved to simplify some displays and make them roomier. It dropped some private-label apparel items that have overlapped in styles or were inconsistent in colors.

"Across feminine apparel, we took a stand on what colors will be important and what silhouette is going to be important," says Scott.

•Improved store design and display. Less merchandise stacked at the ends of aisles, faux hardwood floors in apparel sections and more room between apparel racks have been part of a mandate for a more attractive presentation.

Customers looking for more upscale goods will have an easier time finding them. Better signs will direct them to various departments, and more fashionable merchandise will be displayed closer to aisles.

Scott says that by burying such products within departments, while giving the best display mainly to the lowest-priced goods, such as summer dinner plastics for 63 cents, Wal-Mart made itself less relevant to higher-income customers. "On every end-cap, that's the kind of price points that they saw.
Now, the new product is on an aisle, and it's selling," he says. "As that customer comes to really trust that we're relevant to them, we'll be able to move that item within the aisle, and the customer will shop it."

•New merchandise. More-affluent shoppers still want to save money, but their higher incomes also make them more sensitive to fashion trends.

Wal-Mart sees its proprietary apparel line George as an important part of its fashion push. Popular in Britain, where it was created for the Asda retail chain now owned by Wal-Mart, George didn't have as much success when it came to U.S. stores in 2001.

"Did it flop? Yes and no," says Marshal Cohen, chief industry analyst for market information company NPD Group. "Yes, because it didn't accomplish nearly the branding power that it did in Europe and become for Wal-Mart here what the (designer Isaac) Mizrahi line is for Target. No, because it still
made them money."

Wal-Mart will continue to design George in the U.K. and hopes to be faster to the market with the right looks. Beyond George, it has opened a buying office in New York whose job is to keep more hip goods coming. With its huge buying commitments, Wal-Mart has tended to play it safe with fashion. But the New York office is aimed to give Bentonville direction on fashion trends from apparel to entertainment to gadgets.

"To be on top of the trends — colors, fabrications — one of the things you have to do is be where those things either originate or where they first are adopted in the U.S., and New York is just a great place to do that," Scott says.

Committed to value

Despite the new appeal for upscale consumers, Scott says, Wal-Mart remains committed to value that satisfies the core, price-conscious customers who have made it the biggest retailer in the world. To go after new sales in a way that the core group suddenly feels abandoned would be the biggest the
mistake of all, he says.

"Nothing changes there," he insists. "This organization is too big and too important to allow it to go from ditch to ditch — taking care of one customer but losing your core customer."

© Copyright 2005 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett

Thanks for posting the article el. Many of the changes Scott refers to have happened over the last eight months at the store near me. :)

Someone want to summarize the Wal-Mart article for me...it's too long. :lol

Or does 'target Target folks' sum it up? :D

BRING ON VADERS TIE FIGHTER!!!:bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss :bliss

re

Do you have some news, MR? :p

Have the rumours of an AT-AT been confirmed by anyone at Code3 yet?

Have the rumours of an AT-AT been confirmed by anyone at Code3 yet?

It has been mentioned officially by Code 3, so it is coming for 100% certainty. The only question is when?

Back