C'mon everyone, noone else excited about the fantasy movie Eragon in December?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: eregion:the movie

tremulant said:
Someone told me this was a total LOTR ripoff. Is that true?

I wouldn't call it a complete ripoff. There are definitently some similar ideas, but basically stuff you're going to find similar in any fantasy good vs. evil story. I have heard the same complaint/criticism about Harry Potter. I have found both books a good read so far.

Don't know much about this film, but I'm looking foward to it.

oxbeard said:
I wouldn't call it a complete ripoff. There are definitently some similar ideas, but basically stuff you're going to find similar in any fantasy good vs. evil story. I have heard the same complaint/criticism about Harry Potter. I have found both books a good read so far.

NONONONONONO. harry potter is MUCH different than eregion (sp?). I read the first book in this series, and it's pretty much a novel that is trying to base itself on the LoTR fantasy line, but just not done as well as LoTR. I tried reading the 2nd book, but I couldn't make myself finish....so there ya go.

The author of the novel was 19 when it was published - which has kept me from reading the book. I saw part of the panel at SDCC, but I can't say that I know much more about the film. However they are expecting it to be huge.

Dave's correct. There was quite a splash about this movie, and the author was even at SDCC on hand for autographs. Haven't read any of the books though we have 'em at home. The kids like it, though they felt the author doesn't handle killing off baddies well . . .meaning when they get killed, they're just "and then he plops over". When the movie comes out, I'll certainly read up on the reviews.

I just read the first two books this past week, and I was quite impressed with the writing talents of the author, young though he may be. However, I think there are a few understandable flaws in the book. It lacks real emotional drive, and it never evokes a sense of passion. It's characters are well envisioned, but not well explored--he definitely knows how to describe how things look, but none of his characters have any real depth--they are rather shallow, and the momentous events he creates lack the necessary emotion to make them real. Also, I don't like many of the pseudo-intellectual messages he sends--I think he's trying to hard to a ppear mature, and as Gandalf said of the dwarves, he digs "too greedily and too deep." Plus, they are too predictable (I had the outline of the second book in my head before I even started it).

Nonetheless, it is a remarkable achievement for somebody at this age (he's as old as I am now, 22). I just wish he hadn't been so eager to emulate Tolkein's elements; he just doesn't have the massive amount of experience that made Tolkein's books so utterly complete. It's a good start; I'm sure his later works will be fantastic. I think it is great movie material; in fact it might be better in film than it is as a book. It should be interesting.

Captain Aldeggon said:
I just read the first two books this past week, and I was quite impressed with the writing talents of the author, young though he may be. However, I think there are a few understandable flaws in the book. It lacks real emotional drive, and it never evokes a sense of passion. It's characters are well envisioned, but not well explored--he definitely knows how to describe how things look, but none of his characters have any real depth--they are rather shallow, and the momentous events he creates lack the necessary emotion to make them real. Also, I don't like many of the pseudo-intellectual messages he sends--I think he's trying to hard to a ppear mature, and as Gandalf said of the dwarves, he digs "too greedily and too deep." Plus, they are too predictable (I had the outline of the second book in my head before I even started it).

Nonetheless, it is a remarkable achievement for somebody at this age (he's as old as I am now, 22). I just wish he hadn't been so eager to emulate Tolkein's elements; he just doesn't have the massive amount of experience that made Tolkein's books so utterly complete. It's a good start; I'm sure his later works will be fantastic. I think it is great movie material; in fact it might be better in film than it is as a book. It should be interesting.

Captain, please try to be a little more descriptive next time....j/k....
I read the first book and while it pales in comparison to Tolkien I beleive the writer has talent. Also, I thought he was only 15 when the first book was written.

congerking said:
NONONONONONO. harry potter is MUCH different than eregion (sp?). I read the first book in this series, and it's pretty much a novel that is trying to base itself on the LoTR fantasy line, but just not done as well as LoTR. I tried reading the 2nd book, but I couldn't make myself finish....so there ya go.

I wasn't saying that Harry Potter was like Eragon. I was simply saying I have heard people describe Harry Potter as a ripoff of LOTR. Tolkien set the standard and basically pioneered the fantasy genre with LOTR. It's inevitible that everything that follows is going to have critics who compair and criticize according to Tolkien's works.

I honestly liked the books for what they are. Sure they are not as indepth a read as Tolkien, but you have to remember that he basically spent a lifetime developing his characters and the world in which they live. I'm still however undecided on the movie. I have a strong feeling it may have a lot of liberties taken with it. I'll definitely see it, but it is on my wait for DVD list.

Back