clear cote for resin heads?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uscmbuzz

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys after I paint my resin heads.. I cover it in a clear cote.. I currently use Krylon Matte Finish..but it seems to have a slight clamy feeling on the head.. almost sticky..

I washed the resin heads with warm soapy water to remove any mold resease..

What is a really good clear cote that is matte finished..so I can work on my HEADS

ok testors dull cote..hmmm yea my paints are acrylics... sounds good.. any other suggestions are always welcomed

I used to use sherman williams Clear Acrylic Spray.. it was liike coating it in plastic.. well I checked.. and sherman willliams dont make it no more.. they took over krylon.. argh...

Testors Dull coat will work great on acrylic paints and as for the krylon do your final coat as a dust coat... basically keep the spray back from the piece to give it just a light spray

Hey guys after I paint my resin heads.. I cover it in a clear cote.. I currently use Krylon Matte Finish..but it seems to have a slight clamy feeling on the head.. almost sticky..

I washed the resin heads with warm soapy water to remove any mold resease..

What is a really good clear cote that is matte finished..so I can work on my HEADS

I used that same finish one time one a model and it never seems to dry, it will always stay tacky. I just use Testors Dullcote now, to bad they dont make them in bigger sizes. One of the reasons why I expermented in using Krylon, since its easier for me to get.

ok pinky a light spray huh.. man yea I do kinda lay it on thick.. cuz I figured it would protect it better..

and yea Roc the same tacky results happend to you huh.. hmmm well I aint gonna waste the stuff.. but I am gonna try and locate the testors dullcote.. please tell me hobby lobby carries it.. man cuz I dont know who does I dont know if our walmarts still carries models.. does toys r us still carry models.. hmmm

I wonder how light a coat you have to do with testors..

ok pinky a light spray huh.. man yea I do kinda lay it on thick.. cuz I figured it would protect it better..

and yea Roc the same tacky results happend to you huh.. hmmm well I aint gonna waste the stuff.. but I am gonna try and locate the testors dullcote.. please tell me hobby lobby carries it.. man cuz I dont know who does I dont know if our walmarts still carries models.. does toys r us still carry models.. hmmm

I wonder how light a coat you have to do with testors..

Peronally, I've coated heads liberally with testors dullcote and they dried completely matte and not the least bit tacky. I find if you do too light of a spray the finished product looks spotty.

I have used it for years and it hasnt yellowed anything of mine yet.

Dullcote comes in small bottles you can brush on and they also come in these small aerosol cans you can spray. I use the spray when covering a whole piece, it's more wasteful but easier and faster.

You can but lots of the Dullcoat on, just not in one pass, you should do it in several passes, cause you dont want it to be dripping or pooling up in small recess. It dries pretty fast so you wont have to wait too long between passes.

And Hobby Lobby does carry it, though my store always seems to very little in stock and runs out pretty fast.

Been using Testors dullcoat over acrylics for years. Use a layer between shades, use a blow dryer after a few minutes to accelerate the process if you need the piece done quickly. I usually end it with at least 2-3 coats over the finished paint work as a final protection.
It's never failed me yet & doesn't seem to yellow at all, always spray in a passing motionso as not to get a splat or run

Back