Cleaning Collectibles Tools, Supplies and Techniques

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovefreestufftoo

Super Freak
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a thread about cleaning materials and techniques, but I would like to start one. I myself only use a duster, but since I can't get a replacement for my 1:1 Iron Man Bust I thought I would try to clean it up a bit, but I'm afraid to. I don't know what to use. I want to wipe it down and clean it because it looks like it has dust on it and water streaks. If you guys have any tips or advice on cleaning collectibles please post it here.

I'm glad you started this thread cause I was about to do the same.

My question is I would like to know how you would clean a PF with spandex on like Thor. Would the air can be safe? I don't want to tear it. Any advice would be great.

I wouldn't EVER use water/alcohol or any liquid. It will lift the paint.

I use compressed air, but once the dust has been attracted statically, the only way to remove is by physical contact, so a Swiffer works well for me.

I have several curios, some which keep dust out, and others that don't. Thinking seriously about adding weatherstripping to the ones that don't.

Well I don't use cans of air for just that reason. I use a horse hair paint brush to get the dust off my statues, it really works well.

I used some small brushes and also a camera lens cleaning brush similar to this...
ux_a08031400ux0069_ux_n.jpg

These are actually reccomended by sideshow themselves in one of there books too.

Dusting gets harder as your collection grows. I have so much stuff now that it takes so much time to get around to dusting everything.

I use a wide bristle paint brush with a head similar to a make-up brush, but with a longer shaft to get better angles on the PFs.

Back