Classic Movies that still hold up today - Pre 1990's (non-Horror/Sci-Fi)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my all time favorite movies, from 1934

it-happened-one-night.jpg

And of course the greatest Action movie of all time from 1988

Die%20Hard.jpg

the great waldo pepper - 1975

butch cassidy & the sundance kid - 1969

the sting - 1973

just a few :D.......there are tons actually

forrest gump......:rock.........:banana

One of my all time favorite films now is the Godfather. I only first saw this film about 4 years ago. Last week I finally finished the saga watching all three but 1 is still my fav.

Anyway while watching the 1st Godfather, I said to myself, "Wow, this Michael Corleone is a great actor, who is this guy". Then the credits roll with Al Pacino and I couldn't believe it. I hated him in heat, and his acting style is always the same, almost like in Godfather 3, the scratchy voice and go-tee. In the Godfather he's clean cut, looks more white, soft spoken, and did a killer job acting in the 1st two films. I thought is was funny though.

One of my all time favorite films now is the Godfather. I only first saw this film about 4 years ago. Last week I finally finished the saga watching all three but 1 is still my fav.

Anyway while watching the 1st Godfather, I said to myself, "Wow, this Michael Corleone is a great actor, who is this guy". Then the credits roll with Al Pacino and I couldn't believe it. I hated him in heat, and his acting style is always the same, almost like in Godfather 3, the scratchy voice and go-tee. In the Godfather he's clean cut, looks more white, soft spoken, and did a killer job acting in the 1st two films. I thought is was funny though.

Have you watched Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon? Those two along with the first two Godfather movies are his best, IMO.

No I havent seen them yet, I'll definetly check them out. I heard Carlitos Way was good to. I liked Pacino in Scarface, just can't get over him in Godfather.

Kiss me, Kate (1953)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045963/

If you haven't heard of it, it's like the "original" Ten things I hate about you.

I wish I could think of more, but I have a mental block at the moment... Would I be shunned if I said Gone with the Wind? I don't think anyone else listed that yet, but as far as classics go (and IMO) I'd say it's a must see.

For some reason, I thought I read someone suggest "Easy Rider," on this list but now I can't find it. Anyway, I picked it up at a swap meet last Sunday for $4.

Well, it's not on this list, as well as it shouldn't. What a piece of crap movie. I'm all about a good stoner flick, but this definitely didn't qualify. The ending was horrible. The trip scene was garbage. Maybe a second viewing is more meaningful, but this movie didn't do much for me at all.

This is impossible to limit to any real number but a few musts from much earlier than 1990 ---

1) Citizen Kane, but AFTER a cursory reading about Hearst

2) Bride of Frankenstein, after informing yourself about James Whale, radical filmaking

3) King Kong, you have to admire the "special effects"

4) Casablanca, one liners galore!

others: 12 Angry Men, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Longest Day

Back