Classic eBay Love Story

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GwenStacy

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Well guys this is another eBay love story. It's a classic tale of how an 8 year seller gets hit with a scam and when she calls eBay 3 times (first 2 didn't know what they were doing), they are annoyed and tell her to stop calling. I promise I am super cooperative and no attitude, just peacefully talking. The unused Hot Toy Diecast War Machine Mark II SS Exclusive is insured. The Buyer wants a full refund and intends to keep the Hot Toy which has nothing wrong with it. The exclusive figurine is broken and the shipping box is damaged. Unsure if HT brown box and figure box is damaged but waiting on pictures of which took multiple messages for buyer to respond to. Buyer (less than 10 feedback) seems incredibly familiar with how insurance works through the messages sent.

Should I???

-Accept the return
You pay for shipping and can send our return label or your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.

-Refund the buyer
You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.

Will release eBayer name if allowed. Is it here?

The buyer must return the item to you, then you refund them. If the item is insured, contact the insurer and get your monies. Then block the winner on your ebay account. Then sell off junked War Machine doll here.

Thanks EVILFACE. Yeah Im rather disgusted with the whole thing. Certainly dont want a scammer to keep the figure and their money. Should I wait for the pictures to Accept the Return? Or just Accept the Return now?

Haven't received pictures yet of the Hot Toy itself. Im hoping that they dont return the HT broken. That would make this a horror story.

Wait for pics. Ask them to place a quarter or something next to the item in each pic to make sure they aren't someone else's.

Gwen, is he a US buyer? Also, what's his eBay name so we all can block him. There's also a thread to list bad sellers.

Had one guy try to claim he didn't recieve the item. He opened a dispute but when I looked into it he had put a parcel drop off point as his address. The tracking showed it arrived and was signed for but he still wanted a refund. I explained I had proof of delivery and his issue was with the parcel people who had signed for his item. Took ages to sort and eBay blocked my funds until he closed the dispute. It's never truly over when you sell something on eBay. It can always come to bite you on the ass months later.

I've had two BIN or Best Offer auctions won this week. And within 5 minutes had the "buyer" email me asking me to cancel the transaction for stupid reasons....both due to them not reading the auction details.

I gave them three options:
1. Proceed with the sale and any over actual shipping charges would be refunded.
2. Send me $3 to cover final value fees and relisting fees.
3. Do nothing and I'll file a non-paying bidder against them.

Stupid Ebayers wasting my time.

I hope this helps. Below are eBay users that ive had to block over 14 years of selling. All have either made inaccurate claims, broke item and wanted to return, never pay, and/or harrassed me.

Feel free to add them to your blocked lists. I figured this could save many of you some problems. I sell mostly geek and collectible stuff so they may be potential buyers to some of you.

985492, badideaperu, clarence6908, davidave, dead_idols, edmaku1, jesusperea94, juni-vict, kaijugroupiejess, lizard-69, lorettlon0, nolalees0211, powerturtlebusters, ramese0, roberlever_0, tessiethomas, vlongvicky, wni-pete, 298776096

Okay, it's been awhile since I've sold anything on eBay. I can't seem to find where to block buyers now. :lol

Okay, it's been awhile since I've sold anything on eBay. I can't seem to find where to block buyers now. :lol

Go to account settings. Then site preferences. Next, buyer requirements section and click edit. Go down to bottom and click blocked list. You can copy and paste those users into the appropriate box.

If it's legit you will know. I had a guy who bought a statue and said it arrived damaged in the packaging. I said ok send me a photo of the damage. He did but it was clear peices were missing. I said send me photos of the missing part that broke off since it was in the SS styrofoam that's two peices and it taped around the whole thing like they do when I shipped it the prince would have to be there. Suddenly the buyer stopped communicating and never heard a peep again. All I wanted proof was that it was damaged in shipping but he couldn't do that.

Gwen, is he a US buyer? Also, what's his eBay name so we all can block him. There's also a thread to list bad sellers.

Block: whoaitsjoedahoe-1

Thanks. I will add this name to the List, actually right now. This is a difficult process. I will say that they took pictures with a scrap paper as I requested with my name on it but asked why. They initiated a Return. I accepted the Return with me paying shipping. But they still want me to agree to having them keep the item and getting a full refund.

All of these horror stories are terrible. These eBay scammers cannot call themselves collectors. This is ridiculous. I am more than happy to mail through eBays Global Shipping Program. At this point, they are the only ones I want to mail through. Anyone know if this is possible?

I've been on eBay for a multiple years and I've been scammed three times. The good does outweigh the bad, its just hell when it goes bad. I agree with you Twelve and gogul1. It's amazing how well the scammers know the system. I check Paypal and eBay everyday to see if someone wants to sneak in a bs claim.

Anyways here's what I posted on the List. Hope it saves some people here.

I sold them a New Hot Toys Diecast War Machine Mark II SS Exclusive Edition (includes a mini green figurine).

The Story:
They paid and said "hope that the figure and box are in tact without any damage or dents". A day later they asked to cancel the transaction because they have bad luck with USPS but after more messages, it was ok to mail it so I did with Insurance they offered to pay for and I paid for signature. They get the package and send a photo of the exclusive green mini figure being broken. They say "Damage to product. If you would like to submit a claim to USPS." The mini green figure status: "The back minimum was broken off and bent". I ask them how the actual Hot Toy is and they say "Overall I am pleased with the figure, the lights have not been tested yet because that is quite the hassle installing the batteries. It's just the minutiae of the mini figure being broken on account to the rough handling that bothers me most. I like my products to be perfect."

I totally get it. I do. I also know how sturdy the foam is in that HT box. When I asked for pictures, they only sent pictures of the shipping box (which was damaged) I put the HT brown box and HT box in. After having to continually ask them for actual photos of the Hot Toy and those HT boxes themselves, they finally responded to my asking for pictures a few messages later saying they will get to it when they have the time. They sent photos and aside from a small dent in the HT brown box on the bottom, the HT box looked Immaculate, just as I sent it.

They initiated a Return. After submitting the ShipCover claim, I accepted the Return of item with full refund. Now they are telling me that I agreed to letting them Keep the Hot Toy and a Full Refund. Nope. I did offered them a partial refund because it was the mini green figurine and not the HT itself and because it was easier.

Here's a part of the conversation. For the record, this eBayer has super fast communication and I was always going to initiate the insurance claim.

Me - Well I would like to refund your money back. I contacted eBay about what to do in an unfortunate case such as this. I have been advised to ask for the item back and to give you a full refund. Let me know where you stand on this.

whoaitsjoedahoe-1 - "I'd really like to keep the figure in all honesty, why not put up the claim on USPS with the insurance I paid for?"

Me - "What would you like me to do for you?"

whoaitsjoedahoe-1 - "I would have done it but I don't have the physical receipt lol. But if it's not too inconvenient I think it would work best"

Me - "I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I would initiate the insurance claim and fully refund you your money and you'll keep the item. Is this correct?"

whoaitsjoedahoe-1 - "That's how the insurance works haha"

Me - "Ah yes. Well I would like to have the item back. But yes, I do want to fully refund you "

whoaitsjoedahoe-1- "When you put the claim they reimburse you so you get to keep the money that you made selling the item"

The dispute is still going on. I have been on ebay since I think 2001 but started selling in around 2010. I have over 1000 feedback.

whoaitsjoedahoe-1 has under 10 feedbacks but something tells me that this isn't their first rodeo. In case they have more User ID's, Beware of an address with Anchor Ave in Spring Hill, FL

Have them return the item. They have to return the item. eBay and PayPal will want them to return the item. Tell them to deal with it.

He wants the item for free and he's using you to get it. It's a scam. Make sure eBay and everyone else knows what's going on with this guy. I probably would've just taken the bad feedback and told him to screw it. I'm sure USPS would love to know how he wants you to scam them too.

He wants the item for free and he's using you to get it. It's a scam. Make sure eBay and everyone else knows what's going on with this guy. I probably would've just taken the bad feedback and told him to screw it. I'm sure USPS would love to know how he wants you to scam them too.

Yeah, this guy is a scumbag. It's obvious he wanted a free figure from the start, so he purposefully broke the exclusive part then tried to shake you down. Don't let him get away with it.

Back