Chronicle Collectibles Jurassic park 1:5 Female T Rex bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my bust yesterday. Was not happy that it looked washed out as some others have commented as well. I spent a couple of hours dong a wash on it. Pretty happy with the results.

That looks great! Much better than some of the other in-hand pictures I've seen. I've never tried touching up any of my collectibles, so I'm a complete novice when it comes to this stuff. What exactly did you do to achieve this affect? I'd like to attempt it on mine when it shows up next week.

That looks great! Much better than some of the other in-hand pictures I've seen. I've never tried touching up any of my collectibles, so I'm a complete novice when it comes to this stuff. What exactly did you do to achieve this affect? I'd like to attempt it on mine when it shows up next week.

I would never touch it if you have zero knowledge, it's complicated

Actually, doing a wash isn't as complicated as full on paint, but I'm not sure a complete novice wants to practice on such an expensive piece. I always like to compare it to painting with milk. I used acrylic paints and thinner. Pour some thinner into a small container. Pick a color that is at least a few shades darker (or lighter) than the color you are highlighting. Add just a drop or two to the thinner. You are only trying to tint it. Should be like milk and skim milk at that.

Dip the brush and get it soaked. Depending on what exactly you are trying to do, you either just brush it over the entire surface or do a dab and run, which works great for this because of all the creases and crevices. Pick a crease and just touch the brush to it. The tinted thinner will run into it and start to spread. Pick a new spot and repeat until everything is highlighted. The thinner dries very quickly. You can repeat the process over and over to get the desired contrast or just start with a darker paint to begin with.

A wash will change the color of any surface it touches, but the effect is greatest where the wash settles. LESS paint in the wash is always best. Better to do more coats than screw up on the first one. People that don't have experience painting always make the same mistake......using too much paint. Even if you aren't doing a wash, you should thin paint. You're not trying to do one coat coverage on a wall.

Give us your thoughts on it? Paint job and detail in person?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think it's a very nice piece. The paint job could be better, maybe a couple of slightly darker washes but otherwise I'm happy with it... There are definetely layers on it that may not come through in pics, but it's there.

I think it's a very nice piece. The paint job could be better, maybe a couple of slightly darker washes but otherwise I'm happy with it... There are definetely layers on it that may not come through in pics, but it's there.

do you own the lost world bust as well? which do you like more if you do?

thanks,

I have this on order and just want to make sure its the best option just want a good 1/5 trex bust for the money

do you own the lost world bust as well? which do you like more if you do?

thanks,

I have this on order and just want to make sure its the best option just want a good 1/5 trex bust for the money

I do own TLW bust as well and I don't know if I can choose which I like more... I have a video of that one on my channel as well.

So I have both busts and I gotta say the male is superior in every way. Why is the female so much smaller? Also the paint apps are just one color covered by dots? But my biggest complaint is the casting. The male bust was a perfect cast of the original but this one is elongated and doesn’t have the bulkier mouth of the prototype. The size is frustrating though cause any Jurassic fan knows the female is actually slightly larger than the male. If the full rex has the same painted dots and smashed mouth that will be a major 4,500 $ disappointment. I would only consider buying it if they showed the final piece first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have both busts and I gotta say the male is superior in every way. Why is the female so much smaller? Also the paint apps are just one color covered by dots? But my biggest complaint is the casting. The male bust was a perfect cast of the original but this one is elongated and doesn’t have the bulkier mouth of the prototype. The size is frustrating though cause any Jurassic fan knows the female is actually slightly larger than the male. If the full rex has the same painted dots and smashed mouth that will be a major 4,500 $ disappointment. I would only consider buying it if they showed the final piece first.

Wow.

It's smaller simply because the 1:5 male that Stan Wiston studios created was bigger than the female, and it's not much smaller anyway.
Paint needed to be better, but it's not just one color and the casting is not elongated at all wth, it's the male which was bulkier.

f97e556a81e7a53386819a351f9540cb.jpg

Outside of paint this thing is perfection, a perfect replica of the Perot museum maquette.

The female bust was a big let down. The paint job is just bad and those dots...yikes.

Wow.

It's smaller simply because the 1:5 male that Stan Wiston studios created was bigger than the female, and it's not much smaller anyway.
Paint needed to be better, but it's not just one color and the casting is not elongated at all wth, it's the male which was bulkier.

f97e556a81e7a53386819a351f9540cb.jpg

Outside of paint this thing is perfection, a perfect replica of the Perot museum maquette.

Chronicles got to get past this pale jaundice skin tone with black dots everywhere on their female Rex busts and statues. When compared side by side the female is a lot smaller actually. She looks like the males adolescent offspring when side by side. There’s no way the cast we got is the same dimensions as the proto. The mouth IS SMASHED. It looks fine from the side but wonky when viewed from the front. I’m not being negative for negative sake just personal opinion from a guy who has every chronicle product so far. 1:1 Raptor- Masterpiece! Male bust- Amazing! Breakout- yikes! Female bust- underwhelming to say the least.

The female bust was a big let down.
It was and paint could have been much better. But the sculpt of this thing is absolutely incredible.

PWNzNCR.jpg

ibxJGwa.jpg

IuGz4KD.jpg

1WanlNV.jpg

w9pfIwM.jpg

Chronicles got to get past this pale jaundice skin tone with black dots everywhere on their female Rex busts and statues.
True.

The mouth IS SMASHED. It looks fine from the side but wonky when viewed from the front.
Sorry but, what are talking about? Could you post some pics of your sample?
Because i've been comparing mine to the movie since i got it and it's perfection, the front view is absolutely identical to what you see on screen everytime the CG T-Rex look towards the camera, and at the same time it's the closest thing ever to the animatronic (outside of the lower jaw which is know to be different between the maquettes/CG model and the full size animatronics).

I’m not being negative for negative sake just personal opinion from a guy who has every chronicle product so far. 1:1 Raptor- Masterpiece! Male bust- Amazing! Breakout- yikes!
I too have raptor bust and i find insane that you're complaining about casting on this bust while thinking the other one is a masterpiece. I'm literally in love with my raptor bust but if that one really is deformed because of known reasons, like every other SWS raptor bust around, this T-Rex is absolutely not. Sculpt wise it's my favourite Chronicle product by far actually, a perfect Stan Wiston T-Rex head 1:5 replica and most screen accurate T-Rex ever released at the same time.

Just a poorly painted one.

It was and paint could have been much better. But the sculpt of this thing is absolutely incredible.

PWNzNCR.jpg

ibxJGwa.jpg

IuGz4KD.jpg

1WanlNV.jpg

w9pfIwM.jpg

True.

Sorry but, what are talking about? Could you post some pics of your sample?
Because i've been comparing mine to the movie since i got it and it's perfection, the front view is absolutely identical to what you see on screen everytime the CG T-Rex look towards the camera, and at the same time it's the closest thing ever to the animatronic (outside of the lower jaw which is know to be different between the maquettes/CG model and the full size animatronics).

I too have raptor bust and i find insane that you're complaining about casting on this bust while thinking the other one is a masterpiece. I'm literally in love with my raptor bust but if that one really is deformed because of known reasons, like every other SWS raptor bust around, this T-Rex is absolutely not. Sculpt wise it's my favourite Chronicle product by far actually, a perfect Stan Wiston T-Rex head 1:5 replica and most screen accurate T-Rex ever released at the same time.

Just a poorly painted one.

I hear you but the reason I’m not as bothered by the raptor is cause the dimensions are still prototype- nice round muzzle no elongation issues. I know the upper gums and teeth have some issues but no biggie to me. Most 1/6 figures suffer from these casting issues even hot toys. The sculpts always appear more narrow than the prototype. but I was surprised to see it with the rex bust. Those pics you posted look great but proves my point that the bust isn’t very photogenic from a frontal view. All your pics were side angles. I’m currently repainting mine so I won’t post pics but I’d challenge anyone to look at theirs from the front and see if the muzzle isn’t more narrow than these pics...
44c71192d16841af2a1ecaee3f89e4dc.jpg
5268c83a6226cefbf577f96bc7aa59c7.jpg
86248bf849e21d1855812afcc6058040.jpg

Those pics you posted look great but proves my point that the bust isn’t very photogenic from a frontal view. All your pics were side angles.
Keep in mind it's impossible to properly photograph this thing without distorting it to some extent due to it's shape, but i posted the pictures i had already uploaded.

I’m currently repainting mine so I won’t post pics but I’d challenge anyone to look at theirs from the front and see if the muzzle isn’t more narrow than these pics...
You can compare it here at around 2:33:

Or better yet (since it's shot from far and so not distorted) here at 4:50:

It's perfect to me.

Mind you I’m thinking millimeters as far as the difference goes. But it does appear to my eyes the top muzzle is a bit narrow. It could also be the monotone pale paint job that’s making look more narrow. Who knows. One thing we can all agree on though is the paint apps better be a lot better on that full scale rex.

Back