(Chef) Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAOSINLA

Super Freak
Reaction score
By ERIN CARLSON

NEW YORK (AP) - Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem - and he's cashed plenty of checks - with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

I wrote what I thought of this in my lj, so i hope no one minds when I copy and paste it here, easier then writing it again...

for those that don’t feel like clicking, it’s an article that says Isaac Hayes has quit south park. As you may or may not know he did the voice of Chef. He quit because, well here is a direct quote..."Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices." That’s all well and good but did I forget to mention he is a Scientologist and they did an episode mocking Scientology just last season?

This brings me to my point. It seems as if people get offended only when you make fun of their beliefs or how they were brought up. Yet they don’t care when you make fun of other beliefs. Sounds simple huh? Yet they can’t just say that for some reason, they always have to go the route that says, hey that's not right, you can’t make fun of religion, they are all *******s or they are all good (one of these responses are given).It’s all Bull****. Why can’t people just say I don’t care when you make fun of Jews, muslins, Hindus, whatever, just don’t make fun of what I believe or was brought up to believe. Of course no one will say that, because it makes them seem like jerks, I guess my point is people are jerks.

"Trapped in the Closet" was a great episode!! Anyone who hasn't seen it should try to track it down and watch it.

Too bad Isaac Hayes is too small minded to continue in the show. To me, a person's religion is a choice.

It's not something one is born with like the color of their skin or any sort of physical handicap or genetic predisposition. And as such it is completely appropriate for satire and discrimination. If someone chooses to believe that their God says, for example, that 10% of the population should be murdered by stoning, well, that says a lot about the person who chooses to believe such hatred.

gdb said:
"Trapped in the Closet" was a great episode!! Anyone who hasn't seen it should try to track it down and watch it.

Too bad Isaac Hayes is too small minded to continue in the show.

I would say brainwashed instead......Everyone and Everything gets attacked on South Park and Isaac was a participant in it all. He's a Hypocrite.

Here's a place to download the episode.

https://www.xenu.net/

I agree... South Park has always made fun of everything.. Nothing is sacred. I mean, for God's sake... Cartman made his enemy EAT his parents via a bowl of chili! He drank his friend's ashes and has on multiple occasions been intolerant of Jews and many others.

Yet, all it took was a rip on Scientology for Isaac to leave the show. Sounds kinda lame to me, and I applaud Matt and Trey for continuing to be cool and not censor themselves like the rest of Hollywood. They don't need chef anyway, he hasn't really been that much of a big figure in the show for quite some time. He peaked with "Chocolate Salty Balls" and the Succubus episode. :D

DarkArtist81 said:
I agree... South Park has always made fun of everything.. Nothing is sacred. I mean, for God's sake... Cartman made his enemy EAT his parents via a bowl of chili!

OMG, that was a good one, too!

I hope Mat and Trey rake Chef over the coals in the new season, about how uncool Chef turned out to be, how he left the town or was killed or whatever and that he couldn't take a joke and all that. Anything more than this would be awesome...

KYLE -- Why did Chef leave town again?

CARTMAN -- Who cares, stupid bleep couldn't take a joke anyway. What a douce bag.

KENNY -- Yegh wghoh dougeh bagnge.

KAOSINLA said:
I would say brainwashed instead......

You're probably right. All the Scientolgist evangelicals (is that redundant?) I see on the street in L.A. (and S.F., now, too) all seem to be pretty brainwashed. And what is up with Tom Cruise? Jumping on someone's couch when you're a guest in their own home... Don't go trying that at Eddie Murphy's, you'll end up having your legs beat upon. (Perhaps I watch too much Comedy Central.)

I love satire (especially of religion) and I thought South Park went deep into tasteless territory a lot of times, but this does seem to be more about Scientol**** than about satire of religion in general. SP has always been an equal opportunity offender.

Stone said: "In 10 years and over 150 episodes of South Park, Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslim, Mormons or Jews. He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show."

Yeah, he is most definitely a hypocrite.
He/his charcter wasn't particularly amusing anyway.

If anybody hasn't watched the Trapped in the Closet episode, it'll replay tomorrow on Comedy Central. Make sure to watch the credits at the end.
It doesn't surprise me much, I won't miss the character. South Park will continue to function without the hypocrite.

he should've just bowed out quietly and said he was "retiring".
I mean really, he definitley comes across as a hypocrit now.

... but you know the episode when they write of Chef is gonna be a hoot now.

I've also heard that Matt and Trey will both be guests on Letterman tomorrow night. It'll be interesting to hear what they say about it.
I've heard that they write the shows a week prior to the show's airing and that they like to keep the episodes current, so unless they have a new show next week or the week following I don't know if they'll write something special to get rid of Chef. If Hayes really pissed them off, I'm sure it will be fresh in their minds when they start up another season.
When will the new South Park season start anyways?

I think the new season starts in another week or so... I think it's the 22nd? At least that is what the Comedy Central commercial says..

Man, I know the write off for Chef is gonna be a classic!! :monkey5

cool. i say let him quit, sounds like a little kid to me. it doesnt bother him all these past years when they make fun of any other religion, but when they take a jab at his he's gonna quit?? ok let him i dont think the show will skip a beat without him.

Don't watch the show (I have only seen 1 or 2 episodes). So, I could care less.

He does come across as a hypocrite to me thou (Hayes).

screamingmetal said:
I've also heard that Matt and Trey will both be guests on Letterman tomorrow night.

D'oh! That's tonight! Thanks for the head's up. Don't wanna miss this. (Sorry Colbert Report, gotta catch you in reruns!)

Last edited:
Back